Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Horror crash at macau - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Horror crash at macau

pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Apparently, she has a spinal fracture but is otherwise okay, which is pretty miraculous given the energy involved!  A real testament to the safety of modern race cars and equipment, it would probably have been a very different outcome not so many years ago.

She has since Tweeted:

Just wanted to let everybody know that I am fine but will be going into Surgery tomorrow morning. Thanks to the @fia and @hwaag_official @MercedesAMGF1 who are taking great care of me.
Thanks to everybody for the Supporting messages.
Update soon.

Compilation of various sources:

One of those accidents you can’t plan for.

Amazing to walk away with her life really.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Yup, saw them there on FB.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

That was horrific. lucky for the driver the structure that her car collided with was able to disperse a huge part of the energy, would that structure have been made of concrete the outcome would have been a different story. The speed at which her F3 took off on that kerb and the way it launched into the air after a brush with the white and yellow car is mind-boggling. We hear the first impact before she gets into the picture so something happened off camera and she was a passenger from the moment we get to see  her in the frame. I wonder what went wrong. Was it mechanical failure or did she tangle with another driver that sent her sliding backward against the wall-fence prior to hitting that kerb and taking of.

As much as I like street racing and recognize that motorsport is a risk taking sport, Macau's track record is not great 4 deaths in the past 4 years, and countless injuries to drivers and riders... Not to mention the number of wrecked cars. 

I wish Sofia a speedy recovery. As part of Mercedes Benz driver development program, she was being considered for a development role with HWA Racelab and set to participate to the female racer test at the Saudi ePrix in december.  

6 hours ago, NedaSay said:

I wonder what went wrong. Was it mechanical failure or did she tangle with another driver that sent her sliding backward against the wall-fence prior to hitting that kerb and taking of.

I believe there was an erroneous Yellow Flag waved that a few drivers in front of her responded to which caused the inevitable bunching. She made contact with Daruvala's car and subsequently suffered brake failure. Just over 170mph along (and slightly above) the straight with no control over the car. 

She had seven hours of surgery today which successfully repaired her spinal fracture and all limbs are active. She's got a tough journey ahead but so far things seem positive. 

Two photographers and a marshal were also injured in the crash, receiving combinations of concussion, broken facial bones and liver lacerations. 

17 hours ago, Advantage said:

I believe there was an erroneous Yellow Flag waved that a few drivers in front of her responded to which caused the inevitable bunching. She made contact with Daruvala's car and subsequently suffered brake failure. Just over 170mph along (and slightly above) the straight with no control over the car. 

She had seven hours of surgery today which successfully repaired her spinal fracture and all limbs are active. She's got a tough journey ahead but so far things seem positive. 

Two photographers and a marshal were also injured in the crash, receiving combinations of concussion, broken facial bones and liver lacerations. 

Glad everybody is almost ok, and best of luck to Sofia, lets hope this doesn't set her career back to much, she's got a long road ahead to full recovery.  

• Gold FFM

I saw this on the News yesterday morning.

That’s possibly one of the worst Racing accidents I’ve ever seen. Amazing that nobody was killed.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...