Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stelvio trip - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Stelvio trip

LotusFella

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of driving over the stelvio pass (driving holiday)?  I’ve always wanted to do it and would appreciate any experiences from the forum.  

Would anyone be interested in a trip.  

Also where else in Italy would be good to go?  Modena Fiat/alfa Museum.

Not much help, but I'll be doing it in June on a motorcycle, multiple times!

(Staying in Cortina d'ampezzo for a week, about 100 miles from it).

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

24 minutes ago, markw996 said:

Not much help, but I'll be doing it in June on a motorcycle, multiple times!

(Staying in Cortina d'ampezzo for a week, about 100 miles from it).

Bond was there in the gold/brown esprit!

I didn't realise so I've just Youtubed it!

It's a shame, but I think the other 20 or so bikers I'm meeting there would be a bit perplexed if I turned up in a car! 😳

12 minutes ago, markw996 said:

I didn't realise so I've just Youtubed it!

It's a shame, but I think the other 20 or so bikers I'm meeting there would be a bit perplexed if I turned up in a car! 😳

I think it was for your eyes only - Roger Moore

• Gold FFM

We absolutely love driving holidays, never booked a hotel in advance (except Monaco during a race weekend), we just end up where we end up, within a certain timescale.

Being a bit fanatical about Lamborghini since the age of 3, we incorporated a Museo Lamborghini visit for my 50th in 2017, it wasn't booked, we just happened to arrive there like a pilgrimage, there is a factory tour which is booked for months in advance but we begged and pleaded and they let us in.

Second best day of my life, after collecting my Esprit. I'd recommend it to anyone with petrol in their veins.FB_IMG_1497542199565.jpg.0048054f6798d3626991f53b1500cc24.jpg

FB_IMG_1497542093832.jpg.9cae3a95a934156e71079dc56d4810eb.jpg

• Love 1

I'm hoping to pick up a late model Lamborghini Gallardo LP (or maybe an early Huracan) towards the middle of this year once my parents house gets sold, then a factory visit will definitely be on the cards 👍

(It's been a miserable couple of years with losing both my parents, so a supercar should make life a little bit more enjoyable from this point on).

Still keeping the Esprit though 😍

Stelvio this year, see below. To be honest it was the worst road I drove on my Alps trip in September. 

Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, Drive 50 yards, 180 turn, ..... BORING. However the Italian Dolomite's once you get past it are phenomenal. Upper and lower Andermatt loops are the best though....

Stelvio..PNG

Alps..PNG

Completely agree with Mark Kelly's opinion. Stelvio is a breathtaking scenery with regard to road construction, but from the driver's perspective is more or less annoying. Taking into account that were are not much other passes in the near, it isn't worth the way. If you are about to go to Italy, then focus on the Dolomites area, where a huge bunch of passes is offering incredible pleasure. And if you want to know my favorite way getting there, start in Reutte (Tirol, close to the German border) and ride via Namlos Tal, Hahntenjoch, Passo Rombo (Timmelsjoch), Passo Giovo (Jaufenpass), Passo die Pennes (Penser Joch), Ritten, Passo Nigra  (Niger Pass) which all together takes a day. And then, you are in heaven!

However, Stelvio is a sort of must-see. If you want to do it, then plan your ride early morning or late evening (before sunset).Otherwise, you will get lost in a crowd of bikes and bicycles.Andermatt, I didn't try so far. I dislike these silly Swiss speed trap maniacs. Met a Swiss Lotus driver at Stelvio, who told me that he is alway heading east to Italy to have fun with his Elise.

Anyway Chris, when is your trip? 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 17:59, LO311 said:

Completely agree with Mark Kelly's opinion. Stelvio is a breathtaking scenery with regard to road construction, but from the driver's perspective is more or less annoying. Taking into account that were are not much other passes in the near, it isn't worth the way. If you are about to go to Italy, then focus on the Dolomites area, where a huge bunch of passes is offering incredible pleasure. And if you want to know my favorite way getting there, start in Reutte (Tirol, close to the German border) and ride via Namlos Tal, Hahntenjoch, Passo Rombo (Timmelsjoch), Passo Giovo (Jaufenpass), Passo die Pennes (Penser Joch), Ritten, Passo Nigra  (Niger Pass) which all together takes a day. And then, you are in heaven!

However, Stelvio is a sort of must-see. If you want to do it, then plan your ride early morning or late evening (before sunset).Otherwise, you will get lost in a crowd of bikes and bicycles.Andermatt, I didn't try so far. I dislike these silly Swiss speed trap maniacs. Met a Swiss Lotus driver at Stelvio, who told me that he is alway heading east to Italy to have fun with his Elise.

Anyway Chris, when is your trip? 

I haven’t set a date yet.  Was wondering if the the forum organises one?

cheers

Chris

I would be up for it in the Evora with the wife. 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I’m going again in late June, early July, just because Andermatt was misty 😳 However, this time ferry to Rotterdam, through Germany, both Andermatt loops, onto the Dolomites then up to the  Grossglockner and home via Brenner, Jaufenen Pass, Timmelsjoch, Hantenjock, Black Forest to Rotterdam. Can’t wait. Ferry cos UK roads are $hite. Thereby completely avoiding Stelio 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (I hope)...

cheers

4 hours ago, LotusFella said:

I was thinking maybe earlier September?

There is talk of Sept 12-14 meet this year at Stelvio for the 20th anniversary of when in 1999, 50 Elises left Hethel to travel through Europe. 
The primary reason was Stelvio as that is where Lotus done brake testing.  There's a fair bit of interest from the original owners and new ones too.

Not allowed time off in September. New registration month and my second biggest of the year.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

17 hours ago, delands said:

There is talk of Sept 12-14 meet this year at Stelvio for the 20th anniversary of when in 1999, 50 Elises left Hethel to travel through Europe. 
The primary reason was Stelvio as that is where Lotus done brake testing.  There's a fair bit of interest from the original owners and new ones too.

Is there a group or post about this as sounds great?

• 2 weeks later...

Or, you could consider joining the Fireball Rally 007 trip that takes in Stelvio.........and Grimsel & Furka....and the Goldeneye Dam...and restaurant at the top from OHMSS. 8 countries, 4 days, 1800miles

Just trying to drum up help in terms of numbers/tools/support etc.

I've paid a deposit but feeling a little out in the cold right now. Think the Esprit would manage it with a little coaxing over the next 8 months. Think I could fit a tent and clothes enough. Food and beers are on the hoof anyway

https://www.fireballrally.co.uk/james-bond-challenge-2019/

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

23 hours ago, slewthy said:

Or, you could consider joining the Fireball Rally 007 trip that takes in Stelvio.........and Grimsel & Furka....and the Goldeneye Dam...and restaurant at the top from OHMSS. 8 countries, 4 days, 1800miles

Just trying to drum up help in terms of numbers/tools/support etc.

I've paid a deposit but feeling a little out in the cold right now. Think the Esprit would manage it with a little coaxing over the next 8 months. Think I could fit a tent and clothes enough. Food and beers are on the hoof anyway

https://www.fireballrally.co.uk/james-bond-challenge-2019/

A tad intense!!

I went to the Stelvio only twice, and only with the motorcycle. I really do not have much desire to go back with the Esprit, the road is very narrow and there are always many people, however once you have to go there. If you come to Italy after the stelvio go to the east in Dolomiti area, go through the Marmolada, you must see at least San Martino Castrozza , Cortina and the Cadore area and you will find many mountain pass but also some straights with very fast corners.

a typical route to do in a day near Cortina

ITA Dolomiti 1947 alt.gif

• Like 2