Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 22 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Not yet Ian, but it's the next thing on the list to do, alongside fitting Dave's suspension kit.

Now the car is running I want to spend some time in the "rolling" state over the summer to just enjoy it, rather than spending more time in the "restoration" state that it's spent the lion's share of its time with me in.

• Like 2

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

9 hours ago, tomcattom said:

The cars and coffee meets are getting more and more common. There are some during the week, typically in the evenings. Never been to a weekday one myself, they're never close enough for me to make it worth driving to them after work. This one was a Saturday morning and very close by, so was convenient :)

(indeed before I edited my post I was surprised there were cars and coffee meets even during the work week ... that was until I realized you posted about this on Saturday, hence why I edited my post ^^. Anyway, thanks for the explanation since it appears there actually are car meets organized during the work week!)

Edited by Giniw

Hi Tom,

how satisfied are you with the Nankang tires? I also need a new set of tires soon and I've shortlisted the Nankangs too, but I don't know if they really go with the Esprit!?

Best regards

Stephan

• Gold FFM

I can't give a full verdict yet @Chefchen, I've only done 420 miles on them and due to the tracking still not having been done I've not really dared fully push the car yet, but initial impressions so far are positive in dry conditions at any rate. My friend who put me onto them in the first place is impressed with them on his TVR Cerbera too.

• Gold FFM

Another 12 months ticket on the car as of last Thursday, but it wasn't all plain sailing. On the way over to the test centre I noticed it had started to idle at 1500rpm. Luckily when I restarted it at the test centre it was back to normal, until I left and then was idling nearer 2000rpm on the way back. Fortunately I had my laptop with me and Espritmon revealed I was seeing around 10% TPS input without my foot off the throttle.

I spent a bit of time inspecting further with Espritmon today and it was seeing 0% with no throttle, but at full throttle I was barely getting over 80% registered, this despite me setting everything up properly when the new throttle cable was installed in the Spring. I decided to check the throttle cable setup first, I remeasured the clearance at the full throttle abutment on the throttle body and that was measuring the 0.1mm as per the guidance in EMH.3, so clearly the throttle cable is all fine. Luckily I had bought a spare TPS from RockAuto when I imported the new ECM last year so I put that on and immediately everything is reading correctly again and I have full swing from 0 to 100% showing in Espritmon. Nice quick fix thankfully.

Next on my list was the pesky boost situation again. I reinstalled the wastegate actuator solenoid before the cars and coffee meet a couple of weekends ago and on the way there and back I noticed I was getting over 1 bar of boost at barely half throttle again. Checking with Espritmon earlier in the week showed the MAP sensor maxing out at about 50% throttle. I'd previously tested the operation of the wastegate solenoid before I sorted the actuator setup, but clearly between then and me reinstalling it now its gone bad and got stuck bleeding the air off the actuator constantly, resulting in uncontrolled boost (up to a point) :o and this despite Espritmon showing the WGDC triggering. I tested the solenoid with a battery today and no signs of life from it now, so I've got a new one on order from the US. They're about £120+VAT from the usual suspects in the UK, if they have them in stock. Got one from the states for $64; at about half the price I'm prepared to wait the week or so it will take to be shipped here!

Thanks for your impression on the Nankangs. Since I'm not planning to drive my Esprit on the track, I'm still wondering if these tires are the right ones for me, since they are a kind of semi slick and therefore may be too "extrem" for the road!?

Concerning your idle problem - had the same behavior on mine. I put my TPS in isopropanol for an hour or so and reinstalled it - everything fine again and no idle problem any more since then (for over one year now). So may be you can do this with your removed TPS and have a workable spare part again 😃

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Luckily I haven't thrown the old TPS away, so I'll give the IPA and see what it does @Chefchen.

New wastegate solenoid turned up today so been out and fitted it this evening and gone for a run in the evening sun.

PXL_20220708_171053561.thumb.jpg.17807884d008235cb50d83dc8949a660.jpg

I can't be totally sure the new solenoid has fully worked yet, the boost gauge decided to crap out on my while I was out for the run and I failed to take the laptop with me :( That said the boost did feel like it was being delivered in a more controlled manner than it did before. I'll go out for another run over the weekend and see what Espritmon makes of things now.

PXL_20220708_172322950.thumb.jpg.36ba9732347560ff654576922e9f39f8.jpg

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I hadn't reset the BLM, but I have done so today following the installation of the new IACV.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

When idling it seems to hold pretty steady on both the new and old regulator. I've not tried revving to see what it does then.

Sadly however, I didn't use the car for a couple of weeks and when I came to use it again last weekend the cold start stalling issue had returned :( I did have some issues with the new fuel pump not working when I first fitted it to the car and all this is now making me wonder if there is still a subtle problem with the pump being a bit "lazy". There's not much left that I can replace in regards to the starting side of things, so I'm just clutching at straws with that thought. Will try another pump during its winter lay-up and see if that has any effect.

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity, take up the new pump and see if some funny little pieces of green mesh have found their way into the pump, or passing the strainer, making it "lazy".

I suspect that you left the old pump fuel limiter (the one that limits the pump "hits" - don't know what it is called).

Kind regards.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Not quite sure what you're referring to @Jacques. It was a brand new Sytec pump and strainer that came with it that went in and a brand new alloy tank. The only bit I reused was the metal cradle/hanger (or whatever you want to call it) that the pump sits in. Not sure what this green mesh you're referring to is, or where it might have come from.

The pump is coming out either way to try another one to see if that solves the problem; so I'll give it a thorough inspection. I haven't really got anything to lose by doing it during the winter layup while other work is taking place.

Brilliant - I’ve been looking for a clutch spring unit for some while and for much the same reason, but never managed to locate one!

Jennie, my wife, also struggles with the clutch pedal loading.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

kind regards

Paul

On 22/11/2022 at 13:46, tomcattom said:

having fitted it the pedal does seem a lot easier to modulate

I had the assist spring fitted to my S4s because of my dodgy knee & yes it does reduce the effort required by around 50% & I never found the over centre effect too pronounced. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Back when I had the exhaust made last year they also made me a stainess 3" intake pipe to go from the air box the to turbo because the original hose which is 28 years old was looking very ropey. I didn't share any pictures of it at the time because of a cock-up on my part. I took the boot floor out to ease access for them to make the pipework, but upon getting the car back I found the boot floor wouldn't fit because the pipework fouled part of it. To their credit the company we really great about it and said I could bring the car back and they'd tweak it, but given the distance to travel there and back I've decided to have a go at home myself.

This is the pipework I took off the car - I was surprised how heavy it actually ended up being.

PXL_20230423_135735050.jpg.f87c1a9b2737dbf3691fecd440a05ca8.jpg

Having ordered an assortment of 3" alloy pipe bends last week I spent today bit-by-bit carefully cutting the pipework down to get everything to fit nicely, along with the boot floor this time!

This is what the pipework looks like fully installed with the boot floor test fitted. Turbo end first:

PXL_20230423_134841067.jpg.326971779e7cff5625059fafad58510c.jpg

And airbox end:

PXL_20230423_134921395.jpg.06e42ab50bdf04741f66fd2e0b24d97f.jpg

This is the area where the original pipe fouled. This step in the boot floor means the pipe to the turbo inlet needs to bend down almost immediately after it exits the turbo and the stainless pipe I had didn't do this soon enough, this meant the boot floor sat prout by an inch and couldn't be secured down to the engine bay sidewalls. A 15 degre bend right after the silicone reducer on the turbo was all that was required to clear this and left me about 10-15mm clearance.

PXL_20230423_134904387.jpg.fcbc2491405c0e616a66adbd3c30ecf8.jpg

With the boot floor out you can see the route of the pipework much better.

PXL_20230423_135034222.jpg.e592364ca8f4d9d2180a621ec29165d8.jpg

After mocking it up and removing it from the car this is the end result of my days work :D

PXL_20230423_135526520.jpg.e2ca852052c631d113ba9409c0a3a814.jpg

Unfortunately I can't weld so to finish it off I need to take it down to my local friendly fabricator during the week to get all the bends welded up so it can be fitted back to the car.

• Gold FFM

Hmmmm, interesting group buy opportunity?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.