Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 11 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

Yes, that chemistry is a really dangerous very strong alkali. Just a few seconds of inhalation of the gasses it develops, and you're done: permanent lung damage. I know, because I have been exposed jsut a little bit very shortly despite protection, and I arrived in intensive emergency with strong chest pain, a very strong strange taste in the throat and lots of blood pouring out of my nose, and after some hours of blood analysis, blood cleaning and lung examination etc, I was told by the doctor, that I had no damages at all, being the only case he'd ever seen or heard of.

so, I will repeat it: BE VERY CAREFULL!  AND USE A FULL FACEMASK  AND FULL BODYPROTECTION, WITH THE CORRECT FILTERS PLUS VERY VERY GOOD VENTILATION, AND WARN ANYONE ELSE AROUND TO KEEP CLEAR FOR A PROLONGED AMOUNT OF TIME!!!

If exposed, it can eat through skin, bones, flesh, the lot. So better do it propperly or not at all.

Other than that, nice work!

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

That sounds like a rather unpleasant experience @Jacques, glad to hear you survived with no ill effects!

The origami heat shields arrived in the post earlier in the week and when I went to fit them I noticed the passenger side engine mounting bush was sort of slipping out of the bottom of its metal cup so I decided I would just replace the engine mounts while I had reasonable access. The drivers side mount bolt came out without any problems, the passenger one I wasn't so lucky with. The bolt was welded into the bush so I ended up having to cut the top off the bolt and lift the engine up off the mount.

PXL_20210130_134824075.thumb.jpg.b09b4419242d52ffdc3b226b10f322f5.jpg

Here is the remains of the passenger side mount, as you can see the rubber has completely parted company with its metal cup/surround :o

PXL_20210130_135847739.thumb.jpg.8b9cd2d9e355f88a1821fc19c6ce43db.jpg

New pair of mounts, buffer washers and all new hardware ready to go on

PXL_20210130_151248637.thumb.jpg.c415a56293c15ca38f9ea3f2885fd62b.jpg

Mount all fitted to the chassis and torqued up.

PXL_20210130_160850120.thumb.jpg.67de0b10fb9f682e5794820736bead76.jpg

The engine was lowered down and the new bolts fitted with a liberal coating of copper grease, followed by the engine mount heat shields. Fitting them wasn't as complicated as I was expecting it to be, it was just a bit of a fiddly job assembling everything in the correct order. The engine is now sitting noticeably higher in the chassis with the new mounts.

PXL_20210130_171207444.thumb.jpg.d1e1dee71cc5c59f93fa3006e8a2ebe7.jpg

Finally I fitted the Alunux manifold. I couldn't manage to fit it in situ with it fully assembled so I ended up splitting it down into its component parts and assembling each pipe onto its respective port loosly so I could manipulate the pipes a little and then fitted the collector - that was a tough old job getting that back on. Once its was all assembled again I could torque the manifold down onto the head studs.

PXL_20210130_191015257.thumb.jpg.8c452d1a7c165caee5e815412637c54a.jpg

Hoping to get the cam housings back on the car tomorrow.

• Like 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Thanks. Fortunately and thanks to my very active guardian Angel, I am ;)

Looking very good. But seriously, you can spare the engine mounts, no need to renew those, they look really fresh.

How about the gearbox mounts?

I would install a piece of heat insulation on to the frame tube closest. I did that on mine, to protect the galvanising.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Gold FFM

The gearbox mounts look to be in far better condition than the engine mounts by a long way but I did buy a set of poly gearbox mounts from PNM at the same time. I'll probably wait to fit them when I tackle the various gearbox tasks on another occasion.

What did you use to insulate the chassis by the the manifold @Jacques?

I used a piece of soft heat insulation like on the picture, which contaníns some layers of aramid and a silver foil layer, and fastened it with some metal ties. Works well and is still intact after a few years. The ties are those that is often used to hold drive axle rubber boots in place.

I got the same poly gearbox mounts as you. To be installed once I have new bolts etc. but everything is closed over here.

Kind regards,

Jacques

heat shielding.JPG

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

New Magnecor KV85 plug leads have been installed along with the freshly painted chargecooler mounting bracket and polished heatshield.

PXL_20210206_181308485.thumb.jpg.ce7e53fe4ec5b33bebdb0c5d710ae092.jpg

I then attempted to test fit the turbo onto the manifold and ran into a fitment problem. The turbo won't drop down fully onto the exhaust manifold flange because the coolant feed pipe on the back fouls on the heatshield 😕

PXL_20210206_181622932.thumb.jpg.be404184f619136cfc4e5c644f1899e1.jpg

With things as they are there is still a good 10mm gap between the turbo and Alunox flanges.

PXL_20210206_181613984.thumb.jpg.927b9a8cd7111bc0dd1de0ce8338269a.jpg

Anyone else had this problem fitting the turbo to the Alunox? I could remove some of the spacers/washers in the heatshield arrangement on the back of the cylinder head, but I'm not sure if that will give me enough room to fully seat the turbo...

• Gold FFM

I'd have to check the drain pipe to see if there is scope to clock the turbo. However I think the bigger problem will be that Garrett say the oil feel should be no more than 15° off vertical and the core is already clocked a fair way forwards as it is. I'll measure it later and see where it currently is.

• Gold FFM

What do you mean by rejigging @Chillidoggy? Are you implying there is a manufactuing fault with mine and I should send it back to Alunox?

There isn't any adjustability in the manifold that I'm aware of. I can't slide the flange rewards away from the four individual pipes because the metal straps on it won't line up then.

The only other option I can think of is to remove some of the penny washers from the heat shields and possibly get some different fittings for the turbo coolant feed.

One S4s being like that could be an oddity. But two the same, and something’s not right. I complained to Alunox at the time, and was told it must be my car at fault, the manifold fitted their jig perfectly.

• Sad 1

Margate Exotics.

I’m fairly sure there’s something about it early on in my refurb thread. I seem to recall I had to find a different brass elbow fitting. I think they have an odd thread, though. I might have a spare but would need to check first.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Clocking the turbo is out of the question then. That's clocked more than what is advised on Garrett's website 😟

PXL_20210207_120738718.thumb.jpg.ce3230692335254d5423d523adda29e9.jpg

Just had a butchers in the garage, no spares that I can see.

But from my maintenance records, it seems I bought a pair of 3/8" x 3/8" NPT elbows and noted them as being for 'brass elbow for turbo coolant'. This does not categorically mean they're correct, but it's possible.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

7 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Just had a butchers in the garage, no spares that I can see.

But from my maintenance records, it seems I bought a pair of 3/8" x 3/8" NPT elbows and noted them as being for 'brass elbow for turbo coolant'. This does not categorically mean they're correct, but it's possible.

Found it!

2015-04-28 17.07.09.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Certainly seems that way to me too Ian. In fact the cat/downpipe isn't lining up by about 10mm properly either, adding further evidence there is some subtle difference on the S4s. The downpipe can be adjusted easily enough though.

• Gold FFM

My GT3 was pretty much the same.  For info I've run it without the support strut for years, and it hasn't flexed down at all.  Changed the union and shoed it in.  I'll have to check to see if it's still in contact.

• Thanks 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

What a frustrating day today has been. While I was out trying to work out how to sort the turbo fitment, to my dismay I discovered that the exhaust manifold gasket on number 1 had slipped off the studs during the the install last weekend and I hadn't spotted it 😠 😢 so I spent a large chunk of this afternoon correcting that cock up. The only silver lining is I spotted it now and not when everything else has been put back in place.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

My GT3 was pretty much the same.  For info I've run it without the support strut for years, and it hasn't flexed down at all.  Changed the union and shoed it in.  I'll have to check to see if it's still in contact.

Funny you should mention that @Sparky I was going to ask if others were running without that brace thing after the various configurations I tried this afternoon.

Once the manifold was back in again I refitted the heatshield with one less washer in the setup and the coolant union removed and added the Alunox mounting plate thing. Unfortunatlely the turbine housing outlet flange seems to foul on that support brace preventing one corner of the flange closing up properly.

PXL_20210207_163509797.jpg.8fa8dd54a02b935a61bf8b1bec7a99f7.jpg

I tried swapping out the ~6mm spacers against the cam housings for some DIN 7349 heavy washers I had that are about half the thickness to see if that made any difference.

PXL_20210207_164210389.thumb.jpg.f6f5274947828bfc614a1e325bec7452.jpg

Support brace still fouls just in a different place :(

PXL_20210207_165456588.jpg.bc5d102817823d43fbf0a59bca775cb9.jpg

I removed the Alunox plate from the equation entirely and the turbo finally dropped into place :)

PXL_20210207_170826529.thumb.jpg.aa7368de05136f4222dcfecb566edf04.jpg

There also appeared to be a bit more clearance for the original coolant pipe adapter, so I tried refitting it to see if it works. It does fit but the adapter is hard up against the heat shield so I'm going to try the alternative fitting because I'm not overly happy with it being like that.

PXL_20210207_170810782.thumb.jpg.cd031d7c0cb4743b27e2a78b86170f8a.jpg

What about extending the straps that hold the collector to the manifold pipes by maybe 8mm?   After all there is probably at least +30mm of overlap here.  That may fix all your issues?

Edited by 910Esprit