Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 16 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

That should cure the cam cover leaks. I did that with mine, and no problems thus far.

Assuming it’s disconnected, if you knock up a bracket to support the throttle cable, you can get rid of the throttle jack can and linkage.

Meant to ask earlier, if I disconnect a headlamp operating rod, can I tilt the pod back far enough to get at the drain hole? Was out in various deluges recently and I’m wondering whether the pod drain hole is full of leaves again.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Meant to ask earlier, if I disconnect a headlamp operating rod, can I tilt the pod back far enough to get at the drain hole? Was out in various deluges recently and I’m wondering whether the pod drain hole is full of leaves again.

Should do. How far you can rotate them back will depend on how generous Lotus were with the length of loom between the body and the pod. There should be enough slack to adjust the position of the grommets in the loom if not though. It's easy enough to try it and see.

Watch out for the back corners of the pod catching on the sides of the pod well the further you rotate them back; you don't want to scratch the paint.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

4 hours ago, tomcattom said:

Should do. How far you can rotate them back will depend on how generous Lotus were with the length of loom between the body and the pod. There should be enough slack to adjust the position of the grommets in the loom if not though. It's easy enough to try it and see.

Watch out for the back corners of the pod catching on the sides of the pod well the further you rotate them back; you don't want to scratch the paint.

Ta. I’ll put a bit of foam around the back corners of the pod just in case and see how I get on with it. Other than that, I think the flat bits under the front can be removed to get to the hole, shame I didn’t do that when it was in pieces, but hey-ho.

Margate Exotics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

New Bosch O2 sensor has been fitted today in the hope of curing my intermittent stalling issues. It wasn't as simple a job as it could have been though. I couldn't get the sensor to fully seat because the threads in the downpipe were all full of corroded rubbish. Amazon Prime to the rescue with a M18x1.5 tap to clean the threads out and the sensor is now seated fully against its washer.

No idea if its cured the stalling yet, but the car does run so I've not made it any worse 😆

PXL_20210609_125257562.jpg.0adbcbd329b7c4574ffb1f72a0a8093f.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The boot floor is about the only thing left to sort before I can go for an MOT. Up to now its been low priority so I've only really been doing repairs in between the other major jobs, so this is just a snapshot of where I'm up to as of this morning.

This is the main area of damage requiring attention

IMG_20200718_121534.thumb.jpg.f314b27b07952f1e3fd8c512cfc5ca7b.jpg

I tapered the damaged area back and then applied a generous area of fibre glass so I have plenty of room to trim the tab back to the right shape later.

IMG_20200824_183337.thumb.jpg.34c7a5caed7477e0a4a295319cfebc5d.jpg

After some careful measurements and finessing this is how the tab now looks with the restored hole. Not one of my better fibreglass jobs, it was quite tricky to create a suitable form to support the new tab as I created it. Its nothing a bit of filler and paint won't fix though.

PXL_20210228_161257634.jpg.fc673fd625b74b25fcd84e0deefe7a2d.jpg

This morning I flipped it over and with the use of various size paint scrapers and wire brush attachments on the drill I've removed all traces of the old foil and the horrible adhesive from the underside ready to accept some new Thermal Velocity once I've got the top side all painted.

PXL_20210228_161355236.thumb.jpg.b0f481957c65599ae52b827de32d7110.jpg

PXL_20210612_110010355.thumb.jpg.c3a95818b2d32ac5c81ef2e5c7ad89a1.jpg

Once all the fillering is done I can then set about trying to replicate the paint finish on the top side.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Coincidentally I did exactly the same to a TE today!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Coincidentally again, it's also National Gin Day!  I've marked that too, naturally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Yeah, but let's keep that secret, eh?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Fear not it will get driven, but I need to get it up the local tyre fitters to try and at least get it going in a straight line. Not worth doing a full geo workup right now because I've got all new bushes and shocks to go on it over the coming winter, but getting the front toe setup somewhere vaguely near centre should make it a bit more enjoyable to drive.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 06/07/2021 at 13:05, tomcattom said:

Just need to speak to @Steve V8 to hook me up with some new bits of boot carpet.

Ah, there's a colour matching issue here too, the anthracite corded boot lining has been discontinued, there is only a slightly lighter dark grey available now.

20200818_153103.thumb.jpg.21cf69183be1bb1016ece9dc613353cc.jpg

• Gold FFM

Colour matching shouldn't be an issue @Steve V8, the whole lot really needs changing. The coolant overflow pipe from the expansion tank was broken when I got the car (didn't realise it at the time because the expansion bottle has that little velcro cover over it) and when it got particularly hot when the fans ceased functioning one day the coolant overflowed the bottle and deposited it into the boot and now all the old carpet sticky in several places from the left over coolant residue. Plus I ripped some of the carpet trying to remove it to replace the rusty bumper and rear valancer brackets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I've already had words with that corner about letting the side down when I got back home 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Have you got a box of shims?

No shims yet. My task for this weekend is to work out what shims I'm likely to need and get them and anything else worth doing while I'm in there ordered.

Speedo developed a case of Tourettes last night too, so need to investigate that this weekend.

It's worth 'going either side' of what you think you need. I have a fair few, happy to let you use them and replace what you use.

Presumably you already know what shims are currently fitted?

Margate Exotics.