Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige Market Watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 10 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige Market Watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

pete

On 12/08/2020 at 07:50, pete said:

I bought that one...

The guys were very helpful and it had a check over and a few necessary bits done prior to me collecting it. 

So far I’ve been pretty pleased! My first Lotus... I’ll post pictures and and intro when I work out photo posting!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2020 at 16:07, GoldenGun said:

Congratulations!  I called the dealer to try and buy the GRP rear lights that I think it had! 

looked good value and a nice example!

Thanks - I’m enjoying it, few bits I’d like to add but need a couple track days in it to work out what’s best to do first... 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Am new to this forum and have signed up because I'm on the hunt for an Exige S Roadster. I came across this car at Stratton's but it appears it has been for sale for a while, does anyone know anything about it:

https://www.strattonmotorcompany.com/listings/2014-lotus-exige-s-premium-roadster/

I have had a search of the forum and could not find any previous posts about the car but please excuse any repetition if the car has been discussed before.

Thank you kindly for having me and for any information shared. I am happy to wait for the right car but it must be a manual and I personally prefer the look of the Roadster because of the lack of spoiler etc. I do not intend to track the car and just really fancy a proper analogue, yet modern sports car before such things become a distant memory.

I look forward to engaging with more of you on here in the future.

All the best,

Nick

• Like 2

I know of this car.  Really beautiful blue and tan colours.  It was owned by a forum member here or on Facebook.  Not sure of their name.  It is a real beauty.  Stratton is also a very good garage to deal with.  I bought my 410 from them new and they have since serviced it twice now.  Everytime, great service.

39 minutes ago, Jcx said:

It was owned by a forum member here or on Facebook.  Not sure of their name.

I think that the previous owner is/was also a regular over on S ELOC. His username escapes me as well though, unfortunately. 

Thank you kindly for all of the replies, very much appreciated.

It does seem that Roadsters tend to hang about on the market for some time, the particular car at Stratton having gone through the whole summer without being sold, even when to me it looks like a winning combination spec wise.  I do admit that is my only reservation about purchasing and then struggling to sell on when the time comes as those that know the cars prefer the later 350 model it would seem. I guess the Roadster occupies a strange position in the Exige S3 line-up, possibly not hardcore enough for those that love the V6 Exige model but too hardcore for those who want a 2-seat sportscar, the type that would usually buy a fast Boxster if you will. I have to admit that I originally was looking at Boxster Spyder models (987 first gen car) myself, but the Exige S is more modern, cheaper and I think more of an event to drive.

Any further thoughts on this from anyone would be greatly received. Either way, very happy to be on this forum for the community and the knowledge it provides, thank you.

• Like 1

I always hesitate to do this, as i dont want to 'bash' the brilliant 350... but... 18-months agi I bought a brand new 350 and traded it 7 weeks later for a new 410.  the two cars are £20k adrift and many, including me when i chose the 350, think the cost increment to get the 410 is not worthwhile.  i quickly admitted i was wrong.  The 410, IMO is easily so much more in almost every way.  Its a very different car to drive and to behold.  So, my concluding response to you is this: if you can bag a late-used 410 for £65K+ do it.  if you want a raw driver's car then it is the one to go for. -- accepting of course the 430 Cup is another £15k+ again...

as for speed of sale... all exiges appear to take a long time to sell.  they are made in small numbers to satisfy small demand IMO.

Hi NJJ, I don't know this car specifically but I do own an Exige S roadster.  You're right, they are in a slightly strange position in the S3 line-up -  I wanted an Exige V6, having previously owned an Elise, but I knew I was rarely (if ever) going to track my car.  And I'm a big fan of touring in Europe / Scotland etc.  The roadster was therefore perfect for me - it has a slightly more compliant suspension set up than the coupe and misses the aero - splitter and wing.  Otherwise it's the same car for a fair bit less money.  (And looks better imo without the rear wing).

I think this Stratton one may be slightly overpriced.  Mine is a 2016 model (it overlapped with the beginning of the 350 Sport production) and had 11,000 miles when I bought it about a year ago, and I paid less than this Stratton car is advertised for, although it is IPS, not manual.  But even discounting the IPS in my car, I think Stratton's car is still a couple of grand too expensive.  Have you spoken to them and seen what they can do price wise?  The blue / tan combination is lovely, probably the best colour combo.

Also in case you haven't seen it, Rory Reid did a review of the Exige S roadster in exactly the same colour...

Edited by Kenz
  • Like 2

It was that Rory Reid review that got me seriously interested in the Exige Roadster, I think it’s more road oriented, offers 99% of what the Coupe does and has a lovely iron fist in velvet glove vibe with it’s more subtle look. It’s still a very capable track car if you want it to be.

That Stratton’s car is a lovely colour combo.

• Like 1

The Stratton car is missing the Race Pack, no manual exhaust flap opening, I would miss it.
Otherwise grear colour, same as mine.

As I started the search for a V6 I also preffered the clean look of the roadster.
At a certain point it flipped and now I would miss it. The roadster now looks empty to me on the back.

Website with information and pictures PBB St Tropez convertible Esprit:

http://www.lotusespritconvertible.de/

If you want the exhaust flap open all the time, just turn the traction control to fully off. The car has such good natural traction on the road that you don’t need traction control, just drive it old school style 😁

40k for a 2014 roadster is just crazy, there should not be any pre 350 roadster above 36k for sale. You would normally get the coupe from 37k I believe, these guys benefit of the fact that there is no cheap coupe for sale right now, but 40k anyway, way way too much.

I recently got offered £24k and £27K for my 2013 V6S, on a couple of part ex deals. Full dealer service, good condition, 1 previous owner, 31k mileage. What a joke, so greedy.

Edited by DrTroy

Well, let’s think about that for a moment.

Lets say it takes them three months to sell your part ex for £36k.

Sale price £36000

costs-

Purchase price £27000

VAT £1800

Prep costs £500

Third party warranty £500

Used car stock finance £350

Incidentals £500

Total Costs £30650

Margin £5350 - 14.9%

Out of that 14.9% margin they have to fund sales commission, salaries and business overheads as well as provide shareholder return (ie, make a profit).

Yes, they’ll hopefully be making a profit out of the car they’re selling to you, but that’s their job and the part ex offer is probably influenced by the margin they have in the car you’re interested in buying - they’ll write its value down against that margin if necessary.

The poster above you is moaning that dealers are taking the piss on how much they try to sell cars for, and you think they’re taking the piss on what they’re offering in part exchange values. They can’t win really.

£27k sounds a very reasonable offer to me.

I believe they have to pay the govt VAT on the difference between the purchase and prep costs and sale price, eg the net profit.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-margin-scheme-on-second-hand-cars-and-other-vehicles-vat-notice-7181#section1

NB they're more than likely to earn a commission on finance than pay for it. On schemes like the Lotus 50:50 they do pay as its zero percent but as finance usually involves a profit in the interest, they get an introduction fee. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Unless it's changed since I last worked as an accountant in the motor industry, they have to pay VAT on the margin they make excluding prep costs (Sale price vs purchase price).

By used stock finance, I meant the cost of borrowing the money to fund their used stock.

27000 stil send mean to me. In this market surely enough to take a profit on the overall deal or trade the part ex

hindsight: the science that is never wrong