Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige Sport 410 - how good? Part 2 - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige Sport 410 - how good? Part 2

Chris Onelevenr

My car went back for warranty work (on the back of an AA truck) last year at somewhere between 500 - 600 miles & the dealer insisted on doing the first service, where as I wanted to put more miles on the clock

• Gold FFM

Dropped the car into Hoffman's this morning and queried the running in process. I wa told that the oil change will be done on this 600 mile service (the oil change is what the book refers to as part of the "after sales" service). Hoffman's have checked out this lack of clarity with the factory and been told that 600 miles service and oil change is all that is required before the beast can be unleashed.

hi Chris

had this from my supplying dealership

The first aftersales service is at 1000 miles, where we remove the running
in oil and refill with 5w40 Castrol

who is correct????????

• Gold FFM

I don't know the answer but based on what Hoffman's have told me my car will be all good to go once I pick it up on Friday. I won't immediately be hitting the red line every gear change though!

I researched this quite heavily when buying my car as some responses can be unclear. Key thing to remember, it's a modern Toyota engine, it can take a beating.

Provided the engine is properly warmed up, after 600 miles you can have short bursts beyond 4500 rpm. It will actually help bed the engine in.

The first service should be carried out between 1000 - 1500. Which I find interesting as the Toyota 4x4 this engine is derived from doesn't have its first service until 12k miles ish! So, my theory is that the first service is to actually check the hand built car is still actually bolted together.

I don't think I would be changing the oil at 600 miles, that's not written in the book anywhere and I don't think many others will have done that either.

Definitly explore your revs from 600 miles, Labouring the engine is the worst thing you can do.

The first service (the after sales service) should be completed at 1,000 miles. Having this service done is part of your terms of the warranty so it does need to be done or you could void your warranty and I also do believe that a different grade of oil is used. It's also a chance, you are correct, for the dealer to ensure everything is as it should be and also to apply any technical service bulletins to the car. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

20 minutes ago, Chris Onelevenr said:

@Chris Marriott Hofmann's Chris - Can you add some clarification here?

The running in period is 600 miles, during the first 600 miles it's important not to overload the engine and to control the amount of engine heat generated. For the first 600 miles (1,000km), use no more than moderate throttle openings (about 50%) and do not run the engine continuously at engine speeds over 4,000rpm. Occasional short bursts at wider throttle and higher engine speeds will help the engine.

After 600 miles full throttle and maximum engine speed may be used for short periods but do not exploit full vehicle performance until service has been done. The first service can be early on miles, it doesn't impact the warranty or strength/performance of the engine. The service intervals are 9,000 miles, same applies it's not going to cause an issue if it's serviced at 8,600 miles rather than 9,000 miles etc etc. 

If you completely miss the 1st service then it's a different story.

Hope that helps. 

www.hofmanns.co.uk

21 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

Dear god. Does he also only put it in half way to save his wife? :sofa:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

Dear god. Does he also only put it in half way to save his wife? :sofa:

Excellent Advice.

Mine only goes half way in, next month ill try to redine it to see if it goes to the top.

• Haha 1

On 29/01/2019 at 20:22, Stewie177 said:

Chris - do you have a 'clunk' on the rear suspension when going over a small pothole? Apparently all 410s do it, but I have it and a demonstrator at Silverstone has it, but I cannot find anyone else and I am becoming concerned, I am being fobbed off!

I have a noise as the suspension loads up, but on both sides, I’m hoping it’s a 410 thing 😇

3 hours ago, edwatters said:

I have a noise as the suspension loads up, but on both sides, I’m hoping it’s a 410 thing 😇

Both sides is new on me - but yes, I would assume the same thing

However, all was forgiven today. Sunny, warm-is tyres, sun reflecting off the beautiful curves, playing with an RS6 on the A43 - nothing better - I've fallen deeply in love!

• 2 weeks later...