Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Car collection next week - drive it or trailer it? - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Car collection next week - drive it or trailer it?

Karls

Am I being a Jessie? Should I just drive it home no matter what the weather (argh, all that salt on the road!) or should I look into hiring a trailer? It would be an ‘open’ trailer so if the roads are cruddy, which is highly likely, it will still get filthy. Unless someone knows of a decent covered car collection service?

Or, again, am I being a Jessie?

Don’t be such a big Jessie drive it home.

I collected my 380 late at night in freezing  conditions,  drove about 90 miles back  and got salt bombed by gritters twice. 

2 hours cleaning later in every nook and cranny was fine (and still chip free). I suspect on a trailer will be a allot cleaner underneath mind so be prepared to get on your hands and needs to wash and wash again!

But the body will be cruddy anyway so will

still need a post collection clean....

Enjoy!

• Like 1

😂🤣😂....so, to be clear then, the suggestion is I drive it, stop being a jessie and a wuss and man up?

I think I’m going to enjoy this forum! Thanks chaps 👍

Sharp intake of breath ............never saw salty roads during my tenure :no

:lol:

Do you intend to use during Feb/March or SORN it until spring? Where do you live and how far is the journey - you can hire a car transporter (van with ramps on the back) for a day for about £150 (from memory). If you can find a hire depot close to your house then it may be worth it?

Or just drive it :driving:

• Gold FFM

Have you seen the forecast...

Better ask for a stainless steel splitter if you intend to use your nice shiney Exige as a snow plough...just saying:sofa:

• Gold FFM

No but you can tell them that you'd like it delivered by covered transport, and then enjoy your first drive when conditions are conducive and at your leisure rather than as a necessity. 

You'll also get great pleasure seeing your new steed emerge from its conveyance at your home.

11 hours ago, duncx said:

Sharp intake of breath ............never saw salty roads during my tenure :no

:lol:

Do you intend to use during Feb/March or SORN it until spring? Where do you live and how far is the journey - you can hire a car transporter (van with ramps on the back) for a day for about £150 (from memory). If you can find a hire depot close to your house then it may be worth it?

Or just drive it :driving:

No, not using until the Spring. It’s about a 2 hr journey (Guildford to Gloucestershire). If the weather is ok i.e. no snow then I’ll drive it and just give it a damn good constant clean for about a week after! 😪

8 hours ago, Andy Norman said:

Drive it unless snowing. You can’t buy a new car and trailer it away from the dealership. The first drive is what it’s all about. 

It’s not a new car, it’s a private sale.

I drove mine the first time, but had it put on a trailer to have some niggles sorted out.

You can't use it's potential in the wet so I didn't see the point driving it. Would have probably cost similar money in fuel anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karls said:

No, not using until the Spring. It’s about a 2 hr journey (Guildford to Gloucestershire). If the weather is ok i.e. no snow then I’ll drive it and just give it a damn good constant clean for about a week after! 😪

It’s not a new car, it’s a private sale.

Picked mine up new from Bell & Colvile (Nr Guildford) early March last year. We’d had snow on the 1st so somehow I waited until after the weekend & more snow before collecting it. Had to take my old Exige V6 up to part exchange as well, avoided the motorways coming back, just took it slowly, bit tricky near The Air Balloon which I’m sure you’ll know & made it back to the Forest of Dean. Drive it! & we’ll look forward to seeing it around in the spring.

• Like 1

Have used Chris at TVSC for both Ultimas I’ve bought and sold, for enclosed trailer.  See no fun in driving your new pride and joy in current road conditions, but each to their own ;)  https://www.tsvc.co.uk/

• Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

Is it new? 

If it is new, I'd trailer it. 

The clean wishbones benefit dramatically from a clear coat of undercoat to stop them corroding. 

It is best applied before exposure to salt and so. 

As for the safety of the conditions, that wouldn't enter the debate for me, you'd be fine in any weather. They are even pretty good on snow. 

Congrats Karl, it's a real beauty isnt it  :wub:

I know exactly how the seller feels, it was 100% my decision to sell the Exige (no pressure from anywhere, just fancied a 250 Cup) but when I abandoned the 350 at Murrays I couldn't help but feel somewhat gutted.

Now get it washed and polished ready for some nice spring weather :)

Edited by duncx