Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Perils of removing the spare tyre - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Perils of removing the spare tyre

FYI:
Contrary to all the "expert" opinions on this and some other websites, elimination of the front spare tire has many negative effects:
1.  It adversely affects front collision energy absorption (see crush-ability zone)
2.  Disrupts the vehicle weight distribution by lightening font end and thus increasing rear bias, which in turn,  increases oversteer.
3.  It raises the front end which may cause front end lifting or instability under high speeds
4.  In case of sustaining any accident fatalities, insurance company may deny all claims due to owner alteration of the crash absorption structure configuration

Also, the tire must be inflated to the spec pressure to work properly during the front impact.

MrDangerUS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Presumably the cars had to pass crash tests as well?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I agree, the spare tire does not serve any purpose. I put it in for longer trips (abroad), but prefer the extra storage space for day-to-day use.

On impact it's likely to cause extra damage, because it will push the heater core into the cabin. Potentially spraying the occupants with hot coolant...

If the weight were such a issue, you should never put any weight in the rear either.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

I did a small track day in WA and the race car divers that were there all recommended taking the spare out.

If it made an issue, I never noticed it and I won my division even with getting a 10 second penalty for stopping outside the finish box on my first run.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

The spare is pretty useless, does anyone ever replace the tyre on it? No. Everyone still has the original 30 year old Goodyear Grand Prix S which would likely disintegrate if actually used.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was also made aware that the spare tire is a part of front crash absorption zone.   

The spare tire was specified as a part of the Esprit front end crash zone protection in US bound cars and were crash tested that way.

Can't comment on the cost saving spare tyre delete by the factory on GT3 and V8 GT models which were never US bound...

BTW...

How long non-airbag models were sold in UK while airbag was a requirement for US market?

Zig

• Gold FFM

In the US on the Elise I’m sure they recommended a dead body in the trunk as an improvement for rear impact. Pretty certain that’s right - read it on here somewhere 

• Like 1

Only here once

6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

In the US on the Elise I’m sure they recommended a dead body in the trunk as an improvement for rear impact. Pretty certain that’s right - read it on here somewhere 

What Elise has to do with this? I thought the bloody discussion was about Esprit spare tire.

Cheers,

Zig

Maybe the spare was included in US crash testing to demonstrate that its presence has no detrimental effect on the car's crash performance rather than showing it to be an integral part of the protection?

• Gold FFM

@MrDangerUS has successfully 'fragged' the forum again.

How about the next time you post something like this John, especially when you claim it to be a truth or whatever, that you provide your source?

Otherwise, is it just anecdotal. Much like this.

On 01/03/2019 at 05:18, MrDangerUS said:

FYI:
Contrary to all the "expert" opinions on this and some other websites, elimination of the front spare tire has many negative effects:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 02/03/2019 at 00:17, Chillidoggy said:

What's a spare tyre?

It's that thing you get that hangs over your shorts that used to fit you really well about 25 years ago. :) 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Buddsy said:

I was made aware mine could go underwater as it was seen in a film somewhere by somebody...must be true.

It is true but it means removing the spare tyre to fit the retractible underwater cannons. They dont tell you that in the brochure.

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM

Don't you need to remove the spare tyre to put all the ping pong balls in to get the bouyancy right? :getmecoat:

• Like 1

If "MJK" says it was not to do with crash protection then it is as good as any source you find unless Mr C some how returns ! 

I can only presume the GT3 deleted it as a spare tyre would of been dangerous as the front and rear wheels had different diameter holes in the alloy wheels, I was always told this was to stop folks putting the wheels on the wrong way round, i.e putting a front wheels on the rear and vice versa,  But i find that strange,  more feasable was the sourced hubs from the supplier , the hub centric bit came in different sizes from the cars parts shopping trolley lotus purchased them from ? so the spare would not be hub centric on one axle set, front or rear which is extremely dangerous  

The V8s is completely understandable as no way would i use a skinny spacesaver/spare tyre to replace a fat 285 tyre and drive on,  even more so with todays mobile tyre fitters, or those cans with the foam in to repair puntures. 

Regarding Wheel weight reducing front end lift,  It would make no difference at all,  My early stevens lifted at speed as does my G v8,  Just the product of a lightweight, low, supercar with a low slung radiator and large mouth on the front valance for cooling,  that is what lifts the Esprit imo, only choice to avoid this would be a GT40 stlye hole in the bonnet like the Lotus GT race car :)

A