Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S2 - Restomod - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S2 - Restomod

Car looks stunning Mike,   pleased she now has an mot,  Garage also looks like a work art, the glass side is a fab idea, and a great way to view your retro vision of Chapman and the big G mans Version.  Well done to Nick for building this car to your desired spec.

Enjoy

• Like 1

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Dan, kind words. Very pleased with the outcome. My ultimate aim is to be able to use a G Esprit as a daily should I choose to, in the same that way I’ve always used all my previous Lotus’s. I suspect I may need to do something with the gearbox to fully realise that dream, though.

Hopefully all the final little bits will be finished on Monday and I can drive her to her new home.

Final furlong stuff. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

Mark, your car is an inspiration and I do hope you'll continue posting with reflections on how it turns out on the road. Much of what you've done is of the form  that guides my quest for a tasty S2.🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Barry, Dr Doom (awesome). I was going to hollow out a volcano, but there aren't that many in Herefordshire and anyway, I've run out of funds. 

Hopefully there will be an Esprit sitting in there by the end of play today.

Yeah, I'm taking a lot of this on faith, and as such some aspects (like replacing the front springs) may need some fettling as I go, and so I will certainly keep you in the loop.

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

Yes gearbox upgrade would be a nice addtion to the car,  i never did really mind the Citreon box and went audi with mine due to the engine conversion and the sixth gear was a nice bonus.

I did look into trying an Audi box with the standard lotus four pot,  but the problem is always the inboard brakes with the G cars,   I just do not think the Audi inner shafts will appreaciate the weight of the addtion of having brake disks hung of them !    And due to the rise in lotus classic over the last few years,  most owners are just happy to keep them standard.

Renewing all the Standard lotus gearbox linkage and the cable cable and all bushes ( replace most with rose joints )  and make sure the set up up is well adjusted would go a long way to you been able to live much better with the citreon box, if you find it hard to live with as a daily driver.

A

Glad to see you are Happy with the drive Mark,   The Esprit handles fantastic and can be an absolute delight to drive,  The only time i have ever found mine to be tail happy was when it was sitting on old Pirreli tyres that i have no idea how long they had been on the car,  a few tyre and wheel upgrades and ended up on 275 s due to the v8 lump,  however i have used it it the snow and found it to be the most sure footed car i have ever driven in the white other than a 4wd.

Which was amazing given it is mid engined and rwd,   the last car i used in this arrangement was an old mk1 mr2 donkeys ago,  i will drive one of those in the snow again,  nightmare !  

Given the amount of work Nick has done,  you will always find little niggles popping up after such a large amount of work,  get them sorted and enjoy !   I am sure the car is looking forward to its new garage also ! 

If it puts  a smile on your face when you drive it,  that is all that matters :)

• Like 2

A

Despite my frustration at Nick's seeming inability to get the car out the door, I am surprised that not more has needed to be hit with a hammer. Front springs, fuel sensor and a relay!

When I was younger and slightly less awesome, I owned a GT3 and it permanently scared the crap out of me. Going around roundabouts was like playing Russian roulette. So I was a bit unsure how much this car would need taming, and it turns out not at all. So far. It's really impressed me. You really could drive it everyday (especially if the clutch was a bit lighter and the gear stick didn't operate a railway junction.

Yeah, it's turbo! Can't wait til it's roadworthy.

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

Mark,

You're enjoying what is the essence of a properly sorted Esprit, a car with inherently sublime chassis characteristics, lusty engine and a gearchange which gratifies when used with focused intent. Granted, modern autos generally offer gearchanges working with the ease of appliance switches but I submit none here will argue that to be notably rewarding. 

Well done!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I must say I'm not a fan of gold painted cars but that does look pretty damn special, especially being the original Giugiaro design. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

Looks super sharp Mark ! 

Perfect combo with those modern/classic design wheels that will even keep the die hard purists happy imo.

All you have to do now is enjoy driving her and give her a wash and a bit of tlc every now and again,   :thumbup:

• Like 1

A

• Gold FFM

I would love to see a video of this in action - acceleration / the noise etc. I have the same exhaust on mine and it does sound great - would be intrigued to hear the difference fuel injection has on the noise / start up etc. 

On 04/10/2019 at 12:21, Fridge said:

I'm interested in finding out the load capability of the S2, as I too have things to take to the local tip. 

The box from SJ that the interior chrome trim came in and 3 (empty) 5 litre paint pots.

And one of those pots had to go in the passenger footwell.

It’s not about the destination, David.

Sudders and Dany

That's better than some Alfa Romeo Sportwagons.

However I think I'd have to remove some missiles and what looks like Q's sub-aqua club gear before I could accommodate those paint tins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Suddabym Amazing! Totally missed this, so glad I got a tip off and got here just in time.

The car's a tour de force of both upgrades and styling, but your commitment to getting the car you wanted is even more impressive imo. Can't believe there aren't calls for more of those pics in full size [PLEASE!] and more detailed info. you're not getting away so lightly...  I'm asking...

• What was added to the oil cooling system?
  • What does the gearbox upgrade consist of?
  • What is the upgrade to the wiper motor?
  • How big did you go with the fuel tank link pipe?
  • What’s a ‘special build’ front [or] rear windscreen?

That's for starters. Well wear man!

George

PS - In love with the see it from any angle display case :kiss:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

George!

Sorry dude. Currently away doing top secret stuff. The car they’ve given me has all the usual missiles and stuff, but it just lacks that slight misogynistic whiff about it, you know?  Missing car - and garage - lots.

I am honoured, you’re that guy from my iPad. Cooool.

So, I didn’t do the car, just so we’re clear. The crack team of West Country boys at Tomorrow’s Classics did everything.

In answer to your questions - 

• Well, an oil cooler was added. It didn’t have one before. I’m pretty certain it’s a new add.
  • Well, the gearbox is mostly as is, and does feel a little bit like it now that I’ve driven it, but at the time there didn’t seem much wrong with it. But I had the flywheel replaced with a lightweight one, new clutch plate and those sorts of things. Nothing really, just a good service. Rod for 1st needs adjusting but otherwise they seem okay. Not exactly rifle bolt, so probably needs some more work. And I do want to upgrade the clutch cylinder as the clutch is very ‘70’s. So more to do here, I think.
  • Wiper motor is from an S3. It’s really good, super wipey, but the overall arc is proving a bit of a drama, as it’s slight bigger than the throw needs to be. And the wiper is rubbish. Lifting at speed. So we’re looking at that. I wanted a post ‘98 wiper system as they got a massive upgrade at that point. Maybe that’s the solution I’m really chasing.
  • Dunno about the fuel transfer pipe. Been a little leaky initially so we’re keeping an eye on it, but I don’t know the bore of it. Better, was my instructions and I open both (lockable) caps when I filled up.
  • The rear is a modern screen with embedded zigzag type heating filaments. Looks awesome because you cant see them. I wanted that for the front too (knowing how badly they can steam) but they don’t do them. Nick had a windscreen that he’d had built for his S1 that had that old style strip of green sun visor stuff in it. He accidentally forgot to fit it to his and didn’t want to risk taking his windscreen out again so I took off his hands. Not that special, but a special build screen none the less. Of course, I’ve added air con so that’ll help with any misting issues, although I’be driven it in the rain and there weren’t any so....

Really happy with how the car has turned out. Nick is sorting out a few last bits while I am away and then the car will be ceramic coated ready for when I return. I fully intend to drive the car all year, if not every day, so the upgrades are kinda key to that. Plus the car looks epic (I think).

Loving the show superdude. Especially now that we are onto the S2. Boom!

On 05/10/2019 at 20:05, Fridge said:

That's better than some Alfa Romeo Sportwagons.

However I think I'd have to remove some missiles and what looks like Q's sub-aqua club gear before I could accommodate those paint tins.

Everything is better than an Alfa sportwagon. 

Trust me, going to the tip in an Esprit is just worth it.

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany