Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 410 tyres - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 410 tyres

Just been quoted £1900 for 4 new boots for  my 410 Sport. Not particularly keen on shelling out the best part of £2k for Cup2's ( I don't take the 410 on track) so thinking about Pilot Sport 4's. Good idea for a fast road car? (and half the price lol...) I'm always weary of the CUP2's and the roads here in Scotland can be wet and cold and without heat, the CUP2s are a little skitso for me.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

My car is in with Leven right now for its 1st year service and I need a new rear due to a puncture. I'm inclined to go with Cup 2's again to keep it as Lotus intended.

Camskill have the rears at £235.80 just now; https://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=139036

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct tyre?

@C8RKH no actual experience of the tyres on the 410 but I did a crap load of reading last year when my tyres needed replacing.  The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S got some great reviews many people saying for a car that isn' tracked and used everyday come rain or shine its probably the best high performance road tyre available looses out a little in handling to the CUP2 but really not that much.  The Pilot Sport 4 are still pretty good but I think the small premium for the 4S is worth it.

There are also some good reviews for Goodyear's new Eagle F1 tyre and Continentals range of high performance tyres.  They were both fresh on the scene when I was researching so there wasn't many comparisons with the MPS4S but its been a while now so might be some tests where the 3 are compared together.

Sounds a bit steep!

Try Black Circles, rear Cup 2s for a 410 are £265 each, fitted.

Deal on PS4s currently too, £230 for each rear plus another £40 off when you buy 4, using code 4MICH40. 

Cup2 is worth the extra on a 410 though I reckon.

Edited by Brian Braddock

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Just been quoted £1900 for 4 new boots for  my 410 Sport. Not particularly keen on shelling out the best part of £2k for Cup2's ( I don't take the 410 on track) so thinking about Pilot Sport 4's. Good idea for a fast road car? (and half the price lol...) I'm always weary of the CUP2's and the roads here in Scotland can be wet and cold and without heat, the CUP2s are a little skitso for me.

The two front PS2's for my GT430 which I assume are the same size were £550 fitted inc VAT. I know you don't want those but an example. Think a pair or rears are £750.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Thanks everyone. I'd stay with the Cup2s as Lotus would have specc'd them for a reason but £2k is a big bill! That's just about 40p a mile in tyres alone lol....

Looks like I need to get on the web to get the best prices and will either get Cup2s again or try the MPS4SPPPSS4s.... They seem like a good option for a mainly road car. Thanks Chaps.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Personally I'd go with the PS4's.

I have a 2017 Type R that came with Contisport contacts and I've recently swapped for PS4's tyres.  They started at 8mm tread depth and the Conti's started at 7mm.  After 11k miles the front Conti's were shagged.  After 6k miles the Michelin's are still at 7mm.

Bonkers really......because they feel as good or better than the Conti's in terms of outright performance.

My own view is that unless you track the car, the PS4's are all the tyre you would ever need.  On my 400 I've still got 6mm + on the rears after 9k miles, many of which have been driven enthusiastically!! (these are supersports obviously, which are effectively the previous generation PS4's)

I like the Goodyear Eagles but I've read reviews where they were described as being a bit dialled down from the PS4's and probably fit somewhere between the PS4 and the PS4's, so coming from a cup tyre, I suspect they would be a bit too much of a compromise

I think while I've got plenty of life left on the fronts I'll go for Cup 2's on the rear again and perhaps try the PS4S all round next time. They undoubtedly sound like they'll last several times longer than the Cups!

6 hours ago, ricvx said:

My car is in with Leven right now for its 1st year service and I need a new rear due to a puncture. I'm inclined to go with Cup 2's again to keep it as Lotus intended.

Camskill have the rears at £235.80 just now; https://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=139036

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct tyre?

It was Leven who quoted me almost £2k Rick!   They wanted £524 (inc VAT) for each rear tyre (Cup2). That's a £300 markup then eh?  What's the phrase I'm looking for, something like "fook me" perhaps...... I should have had two bacon rolls on Sunday lol.....

• Haha 1

The small print.

@C8RKH - I found this quite helpful - I plumped for the base tyre, but only because I couldn't source the 4's for my front wheels and I wasn't going to mix and match.  I've been really impressed with the tyre so far (vast improvement over the PZeros I replaced), and frankly on the road I don't push its limits for long enough for it to overheat.  Personally, I think you're right to consider the 4S if your'e only after fast road use.

and this might be worth noting to.  I've not checked the left / right pattern on my sport 4's yet.

• Love 1

Thanks for these @Techyd. Really helpful. 👍

The small print.

Yep, I’d go the 4S, especially on a road car that never sees the track. Wet grip will be much improved also. Recent annual tyre test in an Aussie car mag resulted in the PS4S coming out on top (of quite a large field). 

@DBG I dont suppose that is available online? I do love a good tyre test - evo magazine has done some great ones in the past.

Edited by mik

I don’t know whether you guys consider this, but one of the things I’ve been impressed with the stock tyres on my 400 has been durability.

19,000 miles done over 3 years and 4mm still on the tread. I don’t do track days but do like a good country road blast!

About to change to a 410 and chatting to Ken at Snows his suggestion is to use the Cup2s and then replace with the 4 or 4s as the Cup 2s have limited durability.

Seem sensible to me, if track driving isn’t your main focus. 

Very good - thanks. Always interesting to see some budget ditchfinders in the mix.

I remembered too that the MP4S won last years evo mag tyre test. Less contenders in this one.

2018 evo tyre test

• Like 1

I have both Michelin Pilot super sports (the direct predecessor to the MPS4s) and CUP 2s for my evora.  For road driving i would take the super sports (and hence the MPS4s) over the Cup 2s.  You will lose a little turn in precision, but you get a more silky ride, and they don't aquaplane anywhere near as much as the Cup 2s.

According to some 'experts' the Sport 410's extra performance comes mainly from its Cup2s. I note quite a few 400 owners in favour of a 410 on PS4s! ;)

I agree that for mainly road use the PS4 is a very good choice but if the difference in price is only £35 per corner, and Andy lives near some of the best roads in Europe, I'd be temped to stick with a set of Cup2s and maybe get a second set of wheels with sotto zeros on for the winter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Pits said:

According to some 'experts' the Sport 410's extra performance comes mainly from its Cup2s. I note quite a few 400 owners in favour of a 410 on PS4s! ;)

I agree that for mainly road use the PS4 is a very good choice but if the difference in price is only £35 per corner, and Andy lives near some of the best roads in Europe, I'd be temped to stick with a set of Cup2s and maybe get a second set of wheels with sotto zeros on for the winter.

According to many "experts", there is no difference between a 400 and a 410 Sport, they are identical apart from the carbon and the engines are the same, the maps are the same, the suspension is the same and ALL the performance difference is just down to the CUP2's on a warmer day at Hethel....... ;)

My main issue with the CUP2's Jonny is that on cooler (or should that be colder) Scottish, damp roads, I just lose confidence with them as you get zero heat in them. All joking aside the average temperature difference between where I live, and the south coast of England, is between 4 and 7c - might not sould a lot but on a damp Mar/Apr morning that could be 5/6c up here versus 12/13c down there and that makes a big difference to the tyres, believe me. I did a Highland Hoon in April - it was wet, and my car just wouldn't stick to the road - the other Scottish Cars (R8's, Macca etc) where all on the PS4s and they had no such issues - they had all mostly changed from the CUP 2's too.

So, this is my quandary and issue - the CUP2's need heat in them, I don't think anyone will deny that, AND, they're not brilliant in the wet - so maybe, for road driving in Scotland the next one down (PS4) would be the better bet unless of course I was on the track - but I have my supercharged VX for that for now with it's superb AVON ZZR/S tyres that just grip and last forever......

The cost is not the main issue - other than being a bit fed up at just how much the main dealer was ripping me off with their prices - it's more the road/temp conditions. I mean, looking out the window now it' cloudy, raining and could be freakin' March!  Argh..... :)

I think I will follow @rickvx advice and get two new rear CUP2's to see how I get on whilst wearing down the fronts. Just checked the fronts and they have just over 3mm on them so not worth changing just now. I'll also get the 410 booked on a track day too to ensure I experience the best of the CUP2's - it's crazy I haven't done it yet and will be a big comparison to what my NA felt like on track.

The small print.

Sounds like a plan but you can expect some more understeer with new rears and worn fronts. That said, the Sport 410 really doesn't do understeer, not its bag, you might luck into a stunningly neutral set up! ;)

PS4s make lots of sense for road use, totally get that, especially in cooler parts of the world. No direct experience of them but a very good tyre by all accounts. Wouldn't deny a Sport 410 owner the feeling of a 410 on fresh Cup2s though. Throw in some Scottish roads, July - October. Lordy Lord!

38 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

So, this is my quandary and issue - the CUP2's need heat in them, I don't think anyone will deny that, AND, they're not brilliant in the wet - so maybe, for road driving in Scotland the next one down (PS4)

Cup2 => PS4S => PS4

Totally agree in relation to Cup2's and our weather. I am not sure the two are strongly compatible. (Saj loved his, but only on track, and only after he'd increased the camber (from oem series1 "S" settings)).

2 minutes ago, mik said:

Cup2 => PS4S => PS4

Totally agree in relation to Cup2's and our weather. I am not sure the two are strongly compatible. (Saj loved his, but only on track, and only after he'd increased the camber (from oem series1 "S" settings)).

Thanks Mik - Saj was one of the R8 drivers who had switched to the PS4S and was raving about them on the Rev Limits Highland Loop.

The small print.