Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Scissor doors on an Evora! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Scissor doors on an Evora!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On the S1 scissor doors would be great IMO if done correctly. This implementation it seems you need to open the door quite a lot sideways before it hinges up. Car parks are tight in the Evora getting in and out - if Lotus engineered this properly I'd be a fan.

• Like 1

There was a thread about this a couple of years ago, but I don’t  think there was a video. I’m not 100% sure that this actually helps ingress and egress. Even the guy in the video seems to have difficulty not smacking his face on the raised door corner. I once tried an BMW i8 and had similar difficulties.

but on the video it looks like you have to open the door half way and then lift it...........

surely that defeats the point......?????

(ok so I might be over exaggerating it a little with half way......but still)

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Did the guy get in and close his door, only to realise he couldn't shut the pax side from inside the car, so got out again?

Not a great demo, and the saggy wire hanging down when the door is open looks sloppy.

No thanks, I'd settle for a sunroof.

Edited by trcm

They're not 'traditional' but if Lotus did this, sales of the Evora would probably increase because factory doors like this scream 'special car'.

Lotus doesn't need to convert the faithful, they need to reach the undecided or better yet convert the naysayers.   Probably like the mid-engine Corvette is going to do for Chevrolet.

• Like 2

If anyone is near Nottingham, CL have a customer Evora in with a whole host of bodywork mods, yes including the scissor doors.

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Sure it adds weight and pretentiousness but I think its a neat job and it adds to the mini supercar look that the Evora has....Doesn't appear to be opening them too much in the sideways direction.  be interested to know how much weight it added...will investigate!

Another forum is quoting around a total of ~27kg so a good chunk of weight (13.5Kg per side)

1 hour ago, furious_blue said:

They're not 'traditional' but if Lotus did this, sales of the Evora would probably increase because factory doors like this scream 'special car'.

Lotus doesn't need to convert the faithful, they need to reach the undecided or better yet convert the naysayers.   Probably like the mid-engine Corvette is going to do for Chevrolet.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. Which naysayers are there to be converted for the Corvette? They sell 30,000 units per year. They don’t need to convert me, and never will. Chevrolet does intend for the C8 to appeal to a younger generation (if that's what you meant?). My brother just sent me a picture of the C8 at a car show; it was surrounded by fascinated septuagenarians. Maybe a sprinkling of 60 year olds. 

I would have a hard time buying a car with scissor doors for the same reason I could never buy a C8 Vette. Smacks too much of a gangster with 2 rings on every finger. I’m not a particularly classy guy, but that’s all way to déclassé for me.  

While not exactly scissor/Lambo doors, it seems that Lotus knows people want "billionaire doors", as evidenced on the Evija. Hopefully they consider that for their other future cars targeted at more 'average' people. 

hd GIF

6 hours ago, ByJoveByJingle said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. Which naysayers are there to be converted for the Corvette? They sell 30,000 units per year. They don’t need to convert me, and never will. Chevrolet does intend for the C8 to appeal to a younger generation (if that's what you meant?). My brother just sent me a picture of the C8 at a car show; it was surrounded by fascinated septuagenarians. Maybe a sprinkling of 60 year olds. 

I would have a hard time buying a car with scissor doors for the same reason I could never buy a C8 Vette. Smacks too much of a gangster with 2 rings on every finger. I’m not a particularly classy guy, but that’s all way to déclassé for me.  

For example: one internet meme that is emerging are people who have 'cancelled their GT500 deposits for the C8'.   Getting a 'Ford' person to want to have a 'Chevrolet' is a bit of a coup in some circles.  On paper it's quite compelling, a mid-engine v8 that is probably a very good car for relatively so little money.

As some other person had put it:  'who would want to get a new Toyota Supra when the C8 is in the same ballpark pricewise ?' (the market price for the car remains to be seen for sure).

Styling wise the C8 it's totally not for me.   IMHO going to the new engine layout they could have had a free hand to design a really beautiful car, but were are bound by their own traditions to have to have parts of it come from earlier corvette styling.  The 'transformers' tail in particular does not appeal to me.

If Lotus did add scissor doors it would appeal to some that would not have considered the car before and that means sales growth, something that they need in order to remain in business.

I wouldn't get one with scissor doors myself, I like the Evora400  the way that it is.   For a while I toyed with the idea of fabricating a roof scoop for it to force more air into the engine bay, but IMHO it would ruin the look of car..   The scoops do look good on the Exige though and make it look better in addition to helping out with cooling.

Different strokes, etc..

• 4 weeks later...

The all new, all electric lotus EVage has these type of doors, doesn’t it?  I guess if the hinges were made of a light weight material, Aluminium or Carbon sandwich, so they didn’t weigh as much as the doors, then they might be worth considering. I agree that love them or loath them, the scissor doors do shout supercar to many people. The down side is that your wife / girlfriend can’t slam them in your face when you p1ss her off! 

• 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

As said before, the hinge units etc are heavy.

I was sort of surprised to see them on the Evija to tell the truth as Lotus never seemed to go that way. Mind you, the Evija has a bazillion horsepower so who cares if it a couple of kilo heavier?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

If the hinges are engineered to be Scissor doors in the first place, they wont weigh any more than swing hinges, and remember the Evija doors probably weigh half that of Evora doors.

• 4 weeks later...

My 1st time contributing, but check this video out before modifying your doors

Step by step and no way I'm gonna do this. Maybe when I buy a Gallardo as a second summer car :)