Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Eclan project - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Eclan project

I owned a Clan Crusader here in Australia and after I sold it it was a Factory race car but didnt know it shame, Moving on the engines from the Clover came from Australia as they were removed to make these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giocattolo

I have been eyeing off buying a Clover they are great little jiggers with some potential

Scan2.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow that mid engined Alfa Sud Sprint is lovely. There’s a guy near me who built his own version of one, with a Busso V6 where the rear seats should be. It’s bloody awful. A real home-made bodge job with wheel arch extensions seemingly made from solid filler.

There was also a Ferrari engined one driven in UK rallying by Andy Burton.

The Alfa Sud (aka Awful Sod) flat-4 engine was arguably the best bit. My mate had one, and whilst it drove great, the body rusted dreadfully and fell apart so fast he had no option but to scrap it, and it wasn’t that old, either.

I bet it’s a good powertrain choice for the Clan.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 months later...
On 18/11/2019 at 22:38, Trevsked said:

Yes both the guys had left Hethel and went to Clan.

Was wondering if you could clear up a few things regarding Clan's links to Lotus?

Read elsewhere of the Clan Crusader being based on a stillborn Lotus project dubbed the "M2" (for some reason carrying over the same name as the original Elan project) that was originally conceived as potential replacement for the Lotus Seven prior to the founders of Clan leaving Lotus to set up their own company.

If the above tidbit is accurate do any images exist of the prototype in question or what the story was behind the project beyond the very patchy information online (and Colin Chapman's well-known ambition to move Lotus away from its kit-car roots)? While envisioned as a Lotus Seven replacement would it be correct to view the project in retrospect as the Lotus analogue of the similarly Imp-based TVR Tina prototype?

Edited by Lotus Rebel

• 4 months later...

I have a copy of the Clan door crash beams with C Spooner's (ex Lotus) name on them. I have talked with Arthur Birchall (another ex Lotus) in the past about what happened. I have 50% ownership of the Irish Clan body molds (not Clover). I wouldn't like to say much about what it was all about as there would always be someone disagree with whats said. I have a new Clan body shell (modified) laid up by my son and I, waiting to build into a complete car one day. Paul Haussauer, the original  MD attended the last Clan owners club AGM.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 11:54, au-yt said:

I'm quite a fan of the Clover, and I think the car here is one I seriously considered.

was there a spare car with it?

No spares car with mine when I bought it.

5 hours ago, dave excell said:

I have a copy of the Clan door crash beams with C Spooner's (ex Lotus) name on them. I have talked with Arthur Birchall (another ex Lotus) in the past about what happened. I have 50% ownership of the Irish Clan body molds (not Clover). I wouldn't like to say much about what it was all about as there would always be someone disagree with whats said. I have a new Clan body shell (modified) laid up by my son and I, waiting to build into a complete car one day. Paul Haussauer, the original  MD attended the last Clan owners club AGM.

think I’ve seen your name mentioned a few times regarding Clans.

35 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

I used to live very close to Lydden Circuit years ago and seem to recall Clan cars racing around the track. @Trevskedis that on the cards?

think it would need quite a lot of mods for track use and the be other cars for that, including what’s turning out to be a good bit of fun.

52CAA45B-F0E3-419C-86E3-0A0D88BD6B74.jpeg

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

Grinnall Scorpion, another of my favorites, I had a ride in one in 97 and what a hoot and wanted one ever since.

There are two I found in Australia, and one is available, I would love to buy it but our stupid NSW rego people recon its a bike because of the engine so I need a bike license to ride it.. so I need to do a stay upright course to bet my bike license and at 63 no thanks... shame

I am a huge fan of fun small fast cars all stemming from a ride in 74 in one of the WRC winning ALPINE A110 here in Australia

110-1600s 1974.jpg

We do have similar taste, A310 The Evora of the mid 70's, the local importer converted a few to RHD and did a very nice job, they also did a A110 in RHD

10 hours ago, Trevsked said:

Ha, all very similar tastes. Not as early but in the process of having this worked on. Had it not been for CV-19 it would be on the road this summer.

4D0AB81C-B077-418E-A853-4AF763F2ED85.jpeg

Love that shape, they look so futuristic. ! Anyway, I thought you'd sold it?

Margate Exotics.

Nope, had a red 4cyl car that I sind but this is the V6. Nice Lotus connection too as it spent quite a lot of time at Hethel.

Trevor.

21 hours ago, Trevsked said:

No spares car with mine when I bought it.

think I’ve seen your name mentioned a few times regarding Clans.

think it would need quite a lot of mods for track use and the be other cars for that, including what’s turning out to be a good bit of fun.

52CAA45B-F0E3-419C-86E3-0A0D88BD6B74.jpeg

putting your pilot licence to good use then

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

1 hour ago, Trevsked said:

Nope, had a red 4cyl car that I sind but this is the V6. Nice Lotus connection too as it spent quite a lot of time at Hethel.

Trevor.

Ah, that’ll be it, then. But why the swop? For the bigger engine?

Margate Exotics.

The red car I sent to have work done and after two people letting me down I lost the will to continue so sold it. This then came up which was less of a project although probably turn out the same amount of work.. It’s more complete and original where the red car was missing much. I’d have preferred the 4cyl car really but life’s too short to wait.

Trevor.

• Gold FFM

Bring it round tomorrow then, for a cuppa, COVID, no sugar.  Just how you like it.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I am certainly looking forward to learning more about the Clover, as one is still on my bucket list.

This is the only other one I have seen that has been offered for saleIMG_0421.thumb.JPG.b3369455f0464ffed90775576e96bc62.JPG

Where was that one offered for sale? Wheels always look a bit small especially on the rear. I’ll keep it standard for now but can see a larger rear rim looking better plus a bit of lowering.

Trevor.