Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Eclan project - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Eclan project

At the request of Wayne I’ll post up progress on my latest fiddlings. Having a love of ALL car no matter what they are I’m hoping to work my way through as many cars that I’ve always found interesting over the years. Latest in the garage is a Clan Clover. I’ve always liked the Clan Crusader with its Holman Imp engine and am told the monocoque tub was strong enough to go rally’s MH without a roll cage, how true that is I don’t know but love a good story :-). The Clover was the last development of the Clan and a change from rear engine to mid engine and the use of the Alfasud 1.5 boxer engine giving a nice low C of G. Only 26 made I believe before the company folded, production being just up the road from the Delorean factory in Ireland and in fact Delorean supplied the leather to Clan for the trim. 

My car has been off the road for a minimum of 10 years. Although the car had circa £6k spent on it a decade ago, I’m. It sure that the garage were particularly proficient, at least with regard to some issues I’ve addressed so far. Most stuff is seized or pretty well stuck and accessible awkward rather than impossible. It was running enough to struggle on to the trailer when I collected. In the receipts that came with the car it had a history of running on 3 cylinder and my first plan was to get it running at an acceptable level so new Iridium plugs, ignition leads and strip and rebuild the the two Weber 36IDF carbs and check valve clearances while access was good. I’d never used my ultrasonic cleaner since buying probably 3 years ago so was itching to give it a go. Removed and stripped the carbs, parts of which had plenty of debris/gunge hanging around. Cleaner did a good job, possibly a different solution may give better results but happy with how it’s gone. 

Took a while to understand the carbs and the usual internet searches taught me a lot and I now have a car that is running acceptably and have to say, having read the Alfa is the best sounding engine, bearing the level of the Ferrari 308, I have to agree. Plenty more to do but a few pics for now.

Trevor

Well it would if I could figure out where the attachments button is when using my iPhone?

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes both the guys had left Hethel and went to Clan.

Have things changed on here regards posting pics, I think I used to “go advanced” and added an attachment. Can’t see that now.

Trevor

Bodywork looks to be in good nick. I'd love a project like this but age and arthritic joints unfortunately preclude that any longer, so my days of bringing old cars back to life are behind me now. Good luck with this one and I'll be interested to see the ongoing progress. :thumbup:

• Gold FFM

No chance (well, not until we move).  Only 4 miles away, so I can enjoy the fruits of Trev's labours without a single back twinge.

I just love this engine; loads of fun.

Edited by Sparky

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

He's even mastered the internet!

It'll all go south soon...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

spent a while trying to figure out how a simple 1980’s sunroof catch works, one for Sparky to ponder when he comes round.

i noticed a slight weep from a pipe and it’s the clutch flexi hose. I’m surprised it ever held pressure as it’s a hose held with a jubilee clip each end and there isn’t a swage on the fittings either. Whipped that off and will see if I can get one made up locally tomorrow.

4B292821-372B-466E-A488-7211A1330039.jpeg

61B54426-E288-4BF5-A8FA-BCBD123519A6.jpeg

Intriguing car, I have to admit to never having heard of a clan despite being a regular reader of kit car magazine in my youth and dreaming of owning a Nova one day.

Very reminiscent of the Nissan 300ZX to look at but the use of the mid mounted flat  four and Lotus know how promises some sweet handling.

Also probably the closest thing we’ll get to my ideal spec for an updated Elise which used the 200bhp Subaru BRZ flat four.

• Gold FFM

@The Pits I had a nova in my youth. Pulled it out of a farmers field and got it back on the road. A fantastic thing - not so good when the roof fails and you need to climb out the sunroof. Vw beetle drums all round so braking was done on adrenaline. It sure got a lot of attention - flipped it after a few months of fun - I’ve not seen it since but keep and eye out on eBay - reg was something like MRS2*2W I think

Only here once

You would have been my hero 30 years ago Barry, but I've moved on, more of an Eclan man nowadays which I bet handled considerably better than the Nova.

Good to know Trevors already has a sunroof, sounds like an essential option on a kit car!

1d524ff4cb4992661158c55367de580e.jpg

• Love 1

That nova looks really good and the Turbovec wheels are a fantastic match with the car. I'd love one now now but would feel a little daft in one. Cue insults from the usual crowd.....

Trevor.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Oh, OK then.

Reckon your surgical truss would snag climbing into that.

See what you did there.

Think I was remembering the one on the left.

A33CE73E-116E-4722-B77E-A02AF88428C5.jpeg

See what you did there.

Think I was remembering the one on the left.

Tonight victory was clutch flexi hose replacement.

513D1FF0-1761-4381-A9D3-E48F34278D66.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Insults? What us?

Back on track, here’s a bit of help if you’re in a quandary about the paint job.

5C12B21E-821F-4001-8CE5-F97FC26E9611.jpeg

That’s the most famous Clan Crusader of all. It was featured in Classic Cars magazine very recently. It’s had a long and illustrious rally career and is still enjoying a busy life. Apparently the bit on the front was painted orange to help other road users see it emerging from junctions.