Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 automatic / IPS gearbox questions - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 automatic / IPS gearbox questions

Hi,

- the IPS of the Evora S sometimes feels a bit slow when upshifting manually.
Was this changed in the Evora 400? Is the action a little quicker and more direct?

- Is it possible to select 1st gear actively when in manual mode in the Evora 400? The Evora S does not allow a manual downshift into 1st.

Off the top of my hea,d, the gearchange in the Auto Evora 400 is 0.4 seconds, it was 1.4 seconds in the earlier cars so a big improvement. 

There's an upper speed limit to manually selecting first. I can't remember exactly what it is but you should be able to select first at something like under 10mph. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I recently drove a 400 IPS thanks to Jamie at Bell and Colvill and was super impressed. Enough to make it the car I would most likely buy in 2021. I am generally dismissive of autos unless dual-clutch but the 400 IPS was very pleasant. 

I then drove a S IPS that Jamie had....the gear change was too slow for my liking. 

So definitely a big improvement on the 400. If you cope with your S, you will be very happy with a 400. 

Justin 

@jep out of interest did you test drive a blue or black 400 @ B&C?

Personally I am not sure I would buy an Evora IPS from the S1 but the 400 auto was good and very useable IMO.

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

@jep this one I assume ? A Stunning car with a lovely red interior 😉 :thumbup:

IMG_0115.jpg.bf7571ebff1f870889a8905e78323dd4.jpg

• Like 2

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

44 minutes ago, internets said:

this one I assume ? A Stunning car with a lovely red interior

Yep, pretty sure it was that one. We also drove a 410GT manual, which is not for me, suspension too jiggly. 

I do like a red interior; there is a white Evora with blue trim for sale at Hendy in Poole. A bit too much blue inside but still very tasty.

My chum was in the IPS most of the time; he has a BMW M2 at the moment but is seriously considering a 400 IPS. I think the only stumbling block is the loss of practicality over the M2. And the dosh but that will hopefully resolve itself in the next 12 months. 

Justin

The mounting bracket for the gear change mechanism and the control rod changed, i also presue the software. I know lotus quotes 1.4 and 0.4 seconds but im sure they quoted quicker figures for the s before the 400 was released, then downgraded the s figures. On the s the time varies with your driving, if you are pushing on it definitely changes quicker thn 1.4 sec. 

The 400 automatic is superb in that it is fast, has that glorious rev-match feature on downshifts, and could easily be a DSG (I had a Nissan GT-R previous to my 400 and the shift is comparable).  And you can ignore all the forum posts about clutch replacements, gearbox chattering etc.  The auto box is locked so don't worry about it being a slush box.

A downside is that it can get confused when cold and just starting out, downshifting for a second then upshifting.

I am sure the manual is more 'involving' but using the paddle shifts in Sport mode is still a hoot!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peegee355 said:

A downside is that it can get confused when cold and just starting out, downshifting for a second then upshifting.

There has been a big stink over this in South Australia by new 400 owner who complained and got in the ear of a Jurno...  luckily its confined to a subscription only news paper and hasnt made to the social media... yet.

I found this in relation to IPS upgrades

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/mwr-performance-valve-body-lotus-evora-ips-toyota-3-5-2gr-fe/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, internets said:

was my old Evora, which replaced an Exige, and was a very good car which I swapped for my current Elise Cup. 

@internetsso you have driven my Evora (in 2016 at Bell and Colvill ) and I have driven yours at the same venue. 

I look forward to hopping in your Elise soon.

Justin 

• Like 1

@jep it was August 2014, Jamie got in 2 ex management cars from Lotus yours and a canyon red Evora apparently driven by the CEO at the time.

i ended up driving away in this ;) 

053871BA-1D6E-4717-B82E-E0F3D62B0A22.thumb.jpeg.8b13ce77b65b0bf2e4dac9df807b87db.jpeg

Be good to catch up @ B&C 👍 maybe drop me a PM if your going down sometime 

• Like 1

@internets fab in white. 

Yes, 2014 of course. 

Will do re meet up. I need to collect the Excel at some point, once it has been fixed again. As soon as I decided to sell it, it has cost me a small fortune. Moral being, never sell a Lotus.

Justin 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

For balance 

850AD70D-8D49-4EDD-A356-FF7506DA3544.jpeg

• Like 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

The 400 auto gearbox (they killed the IPS denomination as it had a bad name from before) is plenty quick and the quickest when in Race (rather than sport). 

It is true you need to warm up the car before pushing a bit otherwise engine is not there and gearbox can’t get it perfectly right. 

You can gear down to 1st subject to rpm but you cannot rev the car and put a gear on from a still position

Edited by PAR

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody

as I looked through the feedback of the post I thought ... Is there any chance to upgrade the shifting time of the old IPS to the new IPS 400 gearbox.
I checked on deroure the part numbers of the two gearbox versions ... I expected the shift actuator to be diffrent but actually this is a COP part.

Other parts which are different may be different as they are optimized for hight power and torque. But having the perspective from an Evora NA / IPS user, I would be more than happy to have quicker shifting times 😉

Any thoughts or insights?

Best regards

Christian