Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 35 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not been on here for awhile, sorting out late fathers funeral etc. 

But now back to the same trouble, trying to get the engine to fire up. 
I have a spark, have petrol and a fully charged battery.  Set the carbs as in the brown Lotus manual. Which includes 2 1/2 turns on the four fuel screws.  
I can just reach the distributor to slowly rotate in while turning the ignition key to start. At best it does a slight hiccup as if I is going to start but no.  
Anyone have any suggestions please.  

• Like 1

Tony 

2 1/2 turns maybe a little lean especially if they are 1/2 turns. Everything ive read indicates 3 1/2 turns out for initial set up. Also 3.5 turns is 7x 1/2 turns and mine is currently set at 8x 1/2 turns which is a little rich but works ok. How good is the spark? Decent spark all the time? As previously mentioned check static timing. My starting technique is ignition on several clicks of the fuel pump(about 10 from cold) full choke and 3 pumps of the accelerator and turn key with 3/4 throttle and it usually fires up.

• Thanks 1

Hi Angus, the spark is not that great.  
Also plugs are wet.  I think they are getting plenty of fuel.   As you know I’ve had it running previously, but cocked it up , by fiddling as mentioned in earlier posts.  

Tony 

Hi everyone, thanks for your help. 
It has new fuel and it was running earlier this year. But I had a senior moment , when it wouldn’t start , I moved the dizzy slightly on its clamp.  
BUT THE SENIOR MOMENT carried on and then set about the dellortos.  I know I’m a Pratt, as a senior I didn’t hear the fuel pump ticking away as it had run dry.  It was the time of fuel shortages , but I’ve got to live with it. 

Tony 

Just set plug gaps as lotus handbook to 0.23 thou. 
No start , it’s now getting to hot to work on it as in full sun.  
So taking the classic mini out to do some food shopping.  Probably buy biggest bag of sweets I can find.  😀

Tony 

1 hour ago, Painterdave said:

When I start my excel ignition on watch amp meter when it stops jumping full choke tap the throttle an inch tern key it never starts till I let the go of the key ,it don't like lots of keys on the key ring my locks are worn,it's on the list

9 hours ago, Doris the dog said:

Hi Angus, the spark is not that great.  
Also plugs are wet.  I think they are getting plenty of fuel.   As you know I’ve had it running previously, but cocked it up , by fiddling as mentioned in earlier posts.  

Try a different set of plugs, once they are wet they won't fire, sometimes even after they have apparently 'dried'.

• Like 1

Hi Tony  the manual says 0.58mm for plug gap for the original points type set up. If you have electronic ignition you can set the plugs to 0.8/0.9 mm gap as per the excel and the generally accepted gap for the electronic set up. Have tried it on my accuspark electronic ignition and you get a fatter spark apparently!! 

For plugs ive used several different plugs. Ngk 6bpes is the recommended plug and probably the best one and is my go to plug. Have also used 7bpes and 5bpes, also bosch wr6dc and accuspark ac9c plugs along with sparkrite plug testers. For easier starting you could try 5bpes as it runs hotter but does start to glaze if used too much.

2 minutes ago, Angus553 said:

Hi Tony  the manual says 0.58mm for plug gap for the original points type set up. If you have electronic ignition you can set the plugs to 0.8/0.9 mm gap as per the excel and the generally accepted gap for the electronic set up. Have tried it on my accuspark electronic ignition and you get a fatter spark apparently!! 

For plugs ive used several different plugs. Ngk 6bpes is the recommended plug and probably the best one and is my go to plug. Have also used 7bpes and 5bpes, also bosch wr6dc and accuspark ac9c plugs along with sparkrite plug testers. For easier starting you could try 5bpes as it runs hotter but does start to glaze if used too much.

Wow thanks Angus, that’s very helpful. 
Think I will replace plugs and set gaps as you said.  
It will have to wait as I’m missing my marquee, and it’s scorching 🥵 

• Like 1

Tony 

• 2 months later...

Welll , I think I’ve come to a decision about the Elite , I’m struggling to find time to work on it.  
And as I have no workshop and another winter is fast approaching, it’s got to go.  Haven’t touched in a over last two months. 

• Sad 1

Tony 

Im with everyone else. You have put so much effort into it.  :respect:. Just take a break. Like @EXCEL V8 says, just put it under cover and start again in the spring. I have enjoyed your posts. Store it until Spring anyway. If you still feel the same about it then - well get rid of it then. You will probably get a better price in the spring anyway. Have a think. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2022 at 13:49, Painterdave said:

When I start my excel ignition on watch amp meter when it stops jumping full choke tap the throttle an inch tern key it never starts till I let the go of the key ,it don't like lots of keys on the key ring my locks are worn,it's on the list

This makes me wonder if you have a problem with the ignition wiring, the route that bypasses the ballast resistance wire when you crank. When you release the key it reverts to the normal route via the ballast resistance and evidently that works.

It might be worth checking if you have a spark when cranking, if not it would explain your symptoms and indicate what to look for.

• Thanks 1