Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit SE Code 26....Great! - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit SE Code 26....Great!

AndyPG

Hi All,

So, Code 26 has found me.

Trouble is, despite a lot of effort, I can't get Espritmon up and running so will have to attempt this manually, to start with.

My SE is running pretty good apart from hunting a little below 1500rpm and its not boosting well.

Starts hot and cold perfectly and idles well.

Linked terminals A/B on the ALDL socket and following code 12 (x3) I get code 26 (also repeats 3 times) then back to code 12.

Checked the resistance across the waste gate solenoid, 25.7 ohms

Checked the resistance across the secondary injector terminals, both 16.1 ohms.

Bearing in mind I haven't got Espritmon at the moment, hoping someone can suggest the best places to start.

Andy.

@Barrykearley, with the manual procedure it does start by flashing 12 3 times. 😉

Also, I've never found the Workshop manual on the site, only the parts list. I have a manual anyway, so haven't searched much. And the FFM is definitely worth it!

@AndyPG you should try and get Espritmon running, it really helps diagnosing stuff like this. Getting the software is easy, it's just the cable. Until you do, code 26 mainly points to failed continuity in relays etc. You haven't disturbed anything in the boot fuse panel have you?

Filip

• Thanks 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Escape said:

@AndyPG you should try and get Espritmon running, it really helps diagnosing stuff like this. Getting the software is easy, it's just the cable. Until you do, code 26 mainly points to failed continuity in relays etc. You haven't disturbed anything in the boot fuse panel have you?

Filip

Hi Filip,

I do have espritmon but despite many hours trying, I can't seem to get it going.

My laptop doesn't have a serial connector so I'm having to use a Prolific USB adapter and it's just not having it.

Tried doing the baudrate fixes discussed in the espritmon manual but no luck.

So, while I source a laptop with a serial port, I thought I'd try diagnosing the issue the manual way.

Andy.

Which relay are you talking about? I thought only the Bosch injection had the rpm relay, not the later Delco cars.

Are you sure Espritmon is set to the correct port for the serial to USB adapter? You can find the (current) port used in windows settings - devices.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi Filip,

In the engine bay relay box, top row, second relay from the left. ((in between rad fans control relay and the fuel pump relay)

Definitely got Espritmon looking at the correct port. I plug the USB adapter in and then go to devices. I note the port number that it is plugged into and then enter that in the Espritmon config file.

Andy.

The  SE also has an RPM relay.

A lot of generic Serial USB converters don't like (will not work) with the 8192 ALDL baudrate despite the registery "hacks". 

A long time ago I bought an PCMCIA serial interface (more expensive) which works like a dream with the odd 8192 baudrate.

FYI if you use freescan (if you get the interface to work) it shows the right 26A and 26B errors but the descripstion are swapped. Espritmon is the way to go.

Esprit Freak

Right, my bad, forgot about the rpm relay for the oil pressure tell tale, I was focused on the engine management. 😉

17 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Just work through the rest of the flow charts I posted above - you’ll crack it 👍

Thanks Barry,

Will do. All relay and solenoid coils checked ok. I'll start on the circuits now.

I'll also have a big push on getting Espritmon working.

Andy.

Hi @AndyPG,

Feel free to drop me a message although working away in Manchester this week but back in London Friday so should  be able to get a lead to you for the weekend if required, Royal Mail willing!

Thanks

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

I second that of Robin. I also bought an aldl to usb cable from Internets, and it works perfectly on my Win10 laptop. I have to designate the correct port in win to suit. Then all works fine.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i had similar code 26 experience where i eventually discovered the relays were not arranged per the illustration in the manual so the relays i replaced were not actually applicable to the error code.  good job

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Thanks Chris,

If I were to write a layman's "how to" guide of solving code 26, first job is to label the quad driver controlled relays then check the wiring colours to make sure they are what you think they are.

Andy.