Brexit - Page 107 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble is a General Election will just replace this bunch of self-serving idiots, with another bunch of self-serving idiots. We can't vote them all out. Whatever happens you'll still end up with yet another Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem or provincial Party MP. Depressing.

• Sad 1

• Gold FFM

If we were to have a general election - then do not be surprised if there’s a massive upset and a raft of brexit, UKIP and independents returned.

labour and Tory  will get a pasting

• Like 1

Only here once

7 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Trouble is a General Election will just replace this bunch of self-serving idiots, with another bunch of self-serving idiots. We can't vote them all out. Whatever happens you'll still end up with yet another Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem or provincial Party MP. Depressing.

I don't know about voting them out as that means voting for your MP's opposite party's candidate who may be just as bad but hasn't demonstrated that yet.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

Extension of one year maybe on the cards.

hope we will take part in the EU elections - that should aid focussing these clowns

• Like 1

Only here once

EU elections. Watch UKIP get a landslide. That'll make them think again about another referendum or "Peoples Vote" (though which people they are talking about I don't know as I sdon't support it and I am a person!).

19 hours ago, Sparky said:

I've kept out of this, as I find commenting on it all an unreasonable waste of my time.  I didn't even vote in the referendum.  In fact, I have never voted, as I believe the entire democratic system in this country is irretrievably broken and, indeed, corrupt.  Seems I'm correct in that assumption.  However, I will break my duck and vote in the next general election, as I want every single one of these perfidious, self-serving scum gone.

Well said Sparko. I totally agree and I have vowed to only vote non-main parties in future. No more Tory, Labour or Lib Dems. It's UKIP, Brexit Party or independent for me in future.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Yes be interesting to see how Euro elections pan out. Historically there's always been a low turnout. A lot of regular Conservative supporters will refuse to vote. Labour is also split. Many Brexiteers will lean towards UKIP in protest. Many Remainers will lean towards Lib Dems and the provincial Parties. The majority will probably not vote at all. In which case both the Conservative and the Labour candidates will suffer. Having said all that, these new MEPs could all be out of a job again within a month! 

All just comes from super states Barry and a correction of power, after WW2 , the Amercians classed us the British as the next major threat !  Just the way it goes, also the Americans also saw the USSR come on leap and bounds technology wise in ground warfare, plane and tank tech wise towards the end of WW2, they had also already knicked the plans for A bomb within a year of one been dropped.  Hence the spy culture .   

Once the current threat is wiped out,  your allie during the hostilty sadly becomes your enemy when the common foe is defeated,  in the political military theory that is the way it goes sadly. :cry:

A

Still heading towards staying in. Latest is the EU will grant an extension but I bet it will be specified to be a year to give time for another referendum. They might even make that a condition. I bet May is praying for that as it totally lets her off the hook even though she is publicly stating she wants a short delay.

They are controlling this at their whim. The people dealing with us in the EU seem far cleverer in a devious way than any of our lot.

3 hours ago, Andyww said:

seem far cleverer in a devious way than any of our lot

Not difficult, my cat is cleverer than this lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am so sure that we will now stay in (Not happy about it but sure) that I have put a load of my savings into shares which are at all time lows for absolutely no reason other than they have operations or do work in Europe. So Unite Group, Aviva, Fever Tree and Stagecoach. Come on remain!........

• Haha 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

1 hour ago, Kimbers said:

I am so sure that we will now stay in (Not happy about it but sure) that I have put a load of my savings into shares which are at all time lows for absolutely no reason other than they have operations or do work in Europe. So Unite Group, Aviva, Fever Tree and Stagecoach. Come on remain!........

I am sure you are right about staying but surely there will be a considerable jump in sterling when article 50 is revoked which will in effect mean a devaluing of major / international companies against the pound? Also any international company will then suffer from higher costs (wages, transport, etc..) if they have a presence in the UK. If we repeal article 50 would it not be best to stuff the mattresses?

I don't think so mate. They are all at such lows and are all such profitable companies that even the experts are saying there is absolutely no reason for them to be where they are and they are rediculously good buys for medium to long term investment, no matter what happens.

I did exactly the same just after the 2008 crash and my £10k investment became £20k within 5 years. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Kimbers. As it increasingly looks like we are staying (not my choice) my investments are up 6%, also bouyed by the positive trade deal signals from the US : China discussions. I'm all in :)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

A company like Aviva (Who pay 6% Dividend return by the way...mine gets auto reinvested) are very successful and profitable. The only reason they are low is the uncertainty over Brexit. If we leave no deal it will effect them short to medium term but long term as soon as the market picks up again after Brexit then they will go back up to where they were. If we leave with a deal then short term may be low but will only take a year or 2 to recover. If we remain they will return back to where they were almost immediately.

Tie that in with the others and Bobs your uncle.

My "life savings" have always been converted into classic cars, which have been pretty good investments to boot. I'm not interested in stocks and shares.

Here's an example of my financial acumen: when my mother died in early 2000 I inherited a small number of shares. I promptly cashed them all in and got a few hundred quid back. One of those companies was a little Cambridge tech start-up called ARM Holdings. It was first listed on the stock market in 1998, so she must have bought the shares at the very beginning.

ARM Holdings has since gone on to become the dominant global market leader in the development and licensing of microprocessors for smart phones and tablets. Pretty much every one of you will have their designs in your devices.

With the consent of the remaining shareholders, a Japanese tech firm bought them out for £23.4 billion in 2016. D'oh!

ARM were pretty much the last UK-owned big tech firm left. They were bought out by Softbank which are a Japanese phone retailer which had to borrow all the cash to do it. 

No other country has lost all its companies in this way. All large tech companies in Germany and France are listed as having "strategic importance" so cant be taken over by foreign firms. France also lists all big food manufacturers, ports, airports, transport providers and pretty much everything else, all with the EU turning a blind eye on infringements of their own open-market rules.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Not so sure about stagecoach after today

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

10 hours ago, pete said:

Not so sure about stagecoach after today

Short term view versus long term view. Accepting unlimited or unknown pension liabilities could have risked the company breaking it's banking covenants and losing the whole business.  The fact that Abellio has been awarded (given they have been a complete shambles running Scotrail and are facing early franchise termination and fines) shows that the rail contract awards are nothing to do with anything other than political whimsy. This update is actually quite succinct and clear and to the point. Our politicians could learn something from these.

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/218341/stagecoach-exiting-rail-could-leave-it-better-off-in-the-long-term-says-rbc-218341.html

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!