Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/09/2019 at 12:33, march said:

Why didn't they lead the Brexit campaign with this 🤣

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-opens-way-to-positive-booze-tax-shake-up-report-11803319

Why doesn’t BJ just say that they will reduce VAT to say 5% for 2 years if we vote for a no deal Brexit.  That will offset any  problems with tariffs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LotusFella said:

Why doesn’t BJ just say that they will reduce VAT to say 5% for 2 years if we vote for a no deal Brexit.  That will offset any  problems with tariffs

That would cost c 1/8th of the Govt income per year for those two years.

Writing off c£100Bn/ yr for two  years would cost nearly as much as the government spent buying things in the bank bailout, but that bailout wasn't a complete write-off as most was repaid and we've still had many years of austerity to restore government finances for that, so we'd have many decades to restore writing off c£200Bn.

9 hours ago, LotusFella said:

What problems with tariffs? There will not be any problems with import tariffs, why would there be?

The only potential issue with a no-deal is export tariffs imposed by the EU but they would need to act within WTO so not a big issue.

14 hours ago, LotusFella said:

I don't think VAT is the approach due to cost and remember most companies charge VAT on their finished goods and pay it on the raw materials or components.

What they could do is pay any tariifs on stuff we import. The low £ value will make our exports cheaper anyway and those companies that make most of their cash through exporting will see increased profits through their Treasury operations.  This is one of the reason the FTSE does better when the £ weakens as many of our FTSE 100 companies have significant operations and make significant profits overseas.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

So the speaker is going.

interesting times ahead. I think Boris will umm win a vote of no confidence later on today - canning any idea of an election.

all Boris needs to do is abide by the law now and write that letter. I wonder if once he’s done that he will write another telling the Eu to stuff the first letter up macrons arse and take us out.  He would have done nothing wrong then - he’s abided by the new law, the parliament clearly has confidence in him - out we go.

am I just dreaming 

Only here once

46 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

So the speaker is going.

interesting times ahead. I think Boris will umm win a vote of no confidence later on today - canning any idea of an election.

all Boris needs to do is abide by the law now and write that letter. I wonder if once he’s done that he will write another telling the Eu to stuff the first letter up macrons arse and take us out.  He would have done nothing wrong then - he’s abided by the new law, the parliament clearly has confidence in him - out we go.

am I just dreaming 

I read an interesting piece from a constitutional expert who basically says that the Benn bill has not been written too well and may, in fact, be it's own undoing. You see, love them or loathe them, that ERG bunch headed by JRM really are the sort of bunch of saddo anoraks who would have absolutely read every sentence of presidence and form re the constitutional toings and goings of Parliament. I think the next couple of weeks are going to be fascinating as events unfold.  I actually don't think that Boris is as fooked as people think. I do think he has played them and the EU. I may, however, be very wrong.

• Love 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

So it’s slowly becoming clear and how ironic it all seems.

EU law is above local governments laws. Article 50 states it is the PM and only the PM whom represents our country with regards to the direction. This EU law cannot be changed by our local laws.

think human rights act........ just look how many of our laws has fallen foul to this.

theres a long time to go - but it could well be game set and match

Only here once

And this was part of the problem for me with the frog march towards a Federal European State.

Oh, but how silly of me, it must have been about immigration and the fact that I'm a right wing, stupid, bigotted, racist according to many in the Remain camp who were just sleepwalking over the cliff edge.

• Love 1

The small print.

Just wow!  And you thought Brexiteers were bad!.......

The Independent: EU accused of adopting ‘fascist rhetoric’ with new Commissioner For Protecting Our European Way of Life to oversee immigration policy.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-latest-commissioner-for-protecting-our-european-way-of-life-ursula-von-der-leyen-a9098991.html

The small print.

I have had enough of it period. I would vote whichever way I thought would end it quicker....which would be no deal right now. But my balanced view is here (From an essay I posted on FB)

I have been steering clear of commenting on the obvious debacle that is happening right now. My thoughts on what I want are my own. However, I have to say, don't be fooled into thinking this is about Brexit. This whole debacle is about power. Plain and simple. Power, who is in it, who has it and then there's a smattering of personal dislikes and age old divides. If you really think the Labour party are siding with remain then think again. They have consistently flip flopped to wherever they think the votes are. Talking of which, why don't they want an election now? If you think it's because they want to get Brexit out of the way first, you are again sorely deluded. They are 12 points behind in the Polls, even to a point where it was possible the Libs would beat them....hence their rush to be the "remain" party and the reason they won't vote for an election. Now, if you think this is one sided against Labour think again. Like I said, this is about power. The Tories have it and Johnson, having just got his lifes ambition of being PM won't let it go so easily. Why has he said "Let the people decide"? Plain and simple, it's not because he wants a hard Brexit, that would be disasterous for Politicans (Their poor pensions they get after just 10-15 years in the job...how long do you have to work to get a big pension? Plus their cushy positions in the EU autocracy and Directors positions and public speaking payments etc etc).It's because he is ahead in the polls which all say the Tories will get a clear majority. Why? Because they have sided with Brexit because they see it as the best option for power not only during Brexit but after, in a totally independent UK.. You see, the remain voters are now split, Labour and Libs and so is the Leave vote Tory and Brexit Party. However the difference is that, like UKIP, people won't vote for a fringe party in a General Election because they think its a wasted vote. So go for the next best...the Tories. Also think on this. If Scotland leaves the UK which side does it benefit? The Right wing Tories or the Left Wing Labour? No Matter how much I dislike Sturgeon and her Anti English Rhetoric, her party does keep the right wing on it's toes. This is rapidly dissolving into farce and this is YOUR parliament, apparently "Representing" you......No. This is just about themselves, power and further dividing the country (If we all agreed on something they wouldn't be needed). Lastly, Stop with telling people "They don't know what we were voting for". Just because remainers voted because they preferred the status quo or think open free borders are a good idea doesn't make them Idiots who will destroy the country. Leavers voting because they are worried about immigration etc doesn't make them "Racist" or "Ignorant leavers". They voted for their own reasons and in a democracy with free speech even if it is a vote you think is ignorant or foolish doesn't make it a less valid vote. They obviously thought about it because they took the time to vote in bigger numbers than any other vote. Living in Rural Norfolk I for one wouldn't be so stupid to say I know what concerns the 75% who voted to leave in Boston have. I don't live there day to day. Likewise the 72.8% who voted remain in Southwark. So it's about time both sides stopped mud slinging and got on with it one way or another because this farce of extension after extension only favours one group of people....those in power and clinging on to it on both sides of the divide. "Let the people decide!"..... We would if we had any decent options to decide on!! Instead we get Huffy puffy middle aged men hell bent on dividing us to keep their own fortunes or Nasty middle aged men who peddle the politics of Jealousy (Its not fair they have more money than me politics) and are too blind in their own ideals to see whats best for the country and people. Nuff said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Don’t panic: I might just have come up with the solution.

As it stands a General Election will only be about Brexit. No other policies will matter. There will be all sorts of deals and underhand tactics from each side to improve their hand in getting an MP majority one way or the other. There’s talk for example of Parties not standing in certain constituencies to avoid splitting the Brexit vote. That can’t be right in a democracy with so many local, national and international issues to consider.

So let’s separate the two things. Hold a General Election but with two votes: one for your chosen MP as normal and one for Brexit, namely choose to leave on 31.10.19 with or without a deal come what may as Boris says, or revoke Article 50 and stay in the EU for a minimum period of say 10 years, to avoid going through all this hassle again at least for some time.

This way we get the correctly elected MP in each constituency and a binding decision on Brexit one way or the other. Simples.

• Gold FFM

That’s broadly what this sets out, through a new referendum prior to GE  which I personally quite like (but I would, right?)

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-a-referendum-is-coming-just-ask-oliver-letwin-a4234976.html

“Real power comes to those prepared to share it”. Interesting position from Osborne’s paper. 

Edited by JG220
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

It’s going to set a very dangerous precedent if they don’t enact to will of the people in the first democratic vote.

this won’t simply go away

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez - what a mess.

https://news.sky.com/story/live-supreme-court-to-rule-on-legality-of-proroguing-parliament-11818306

And the opposition is not allowing us the plebs an election. Even the SWMBO has got the atlas and darts out to see where we can go if Labour gets in.

Surprise surprise, Corbyn calls for Johnson to quit. What an effing shock that was!

This is the guy who constantly sits on the fence, frustrates whatever motion is being tabled and who wants to be PM, but knows that the only way he can be so is to  try to get opposing parties to vote him in as a temporary PM pending an election. He’s been offered a GE but votes against that (like he votes against everything). Why, because he is scared he will lose an election that Labour should walk and will then by default have to resign his coveted position.

as one Tory MP has been reported as saying, “I support the PM but we need a GE to help sort this out so let the people help by having a GE and when calling for a GE, unlike Corbyn, I mean it”

• Like 1

On 29/08/2019 at 12:06, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

You could see the glee in Rees-Mogg’s eyes as he headed back to Aberdeen airport after meeting the Queen at Balmoral. Like a schoolboy, who has just got away with a naughty prank.

Naughty boys! It's detention for you Master Johnson and a good old-fashioned Victorian caning for you Master Rees-Mogg.

Right lads only one thing for it, I'll dust off my suit and become PM. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

https://www.facebook.com/ChangeBritain/videos/2377641105789492/

https://www.facebook.com/ChangeBritain/videos/2321811271244194/

https://www.facebook.com/ChangeBritain/videos/1735492333264270/

The list goes on

Were using laws made in 1611AD.  It just beggers belief.  

• Gold FFM

As someone more eloquent than me said:

‘This is a profound moment, the deep system level functioning of liberal democracy in response to an out of control executive’

We should be proud. This will change our constitution. I’m not sure yet whether for better or for worse.

• Like 1