Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 124 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

5 hours ago, Andyww said:

What?

In what way have the EU made any difference to car safety? Are you thinking of Euro NCAP which is not an EU organisation, much like the European Patent Agency and many others which are not the EU and not affected by Brexit.

Eh ?

Type approval is regulated by EU directives governing safety of passengers and pedestrians. EU regulates active and passive safety of cars sold in the EU via type approval. I'm not saying that safety wouldn't have improved anyway as it has elsewhere in the world but the EU directives ensure that whatever car you buy today you can be assured about certain levels of safety. 

Have a read here if you don't want to believe me https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/sites/roadsafety/files/pdf/ersosynthesis2018-adas.pdf

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, red vtec said:

Are we leaving this weekend? I seem to recall an almighty doom and gloom, yet now there is bugger all about it. have the issues been resolved ?

We are leaving under the transition agreement which means effectively everything continues as normal for the duration of this agreement that takes us to the end of the year, but during the transition the new relationship with the EU is negotiated including a trade agreement. We are now also able to enter into negotiations with third countries on trade relationships as well as all manor of other things. There is much more to this than trade and it will be very difficult to disentangle ourselves from the EU just because we have been a member so long. There are a huge number of reciprocal agreements that need to be established for incredibly small things but they all add up. One example of a small matter is what UK registered car number plates will change to post brexit and what will need to be displayed when driving in Europe, because that is not agreed as yet. It may seem a minor thing, but there are literally millions of these sorts of things to resolve.

9 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Confirmation bias is a very dangerous problem in many areas not just political views

So is Stockholm syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

The EU are fantastic - they even organised a fight between French police and firemen today 👍

And Spain is gearing ip for a fight with Germany and France.

Hungary are saying uck u to everyone.

Poland is saying stick your court up your ass we doing what we want

Italy - oh yeah, they're having a coffee break

And Ireland's telling everyone how powerful they are.

I'm chewing through the popcorn with this lot.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

You forgot the Greek islanders whom went on a general strike cos they are fed up with the immigrants they have been lumbered with looking after (read stealing and sexually harassing locals)

Only here once

1 hour ago, gregs24 said:

We are leaving under the transition agreement which means effectively everything continues as normal for the duration of this agreement that takes us to the end of the year, but during the transition the new relationship with the EU is negotiated including a trade agreement. We are now also able to enter into negotiations with third countries on trade relationships as well as all manor of other things. There is much more to this than trade and it will be very difficult to disentangle ourselves from the EU just because we have been a member so long. There are a huge number of reciprocal agreements that need to be established for incredibly small things but they all add up. One example of a small matter is what UK registered car number plates will change to post brexit and what will need to be displayed when driving in Europe, because that is not agreed as yet. It may seem a minor thing, but there are literally millions of these sorts of things to resolve.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I recall only a few months ago, retainers were saying that come midnight of the day we leave the lights would go out. This seems to have abated. 

Just watching the news plenty of MEPs that I have never heard off crying about leaving  more like loosing a nice little earner. 

• Like 2

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

But we do seem to be seeing Trump's darker side (albeit the less dark one isn't nice) where he /his government seem to be threatening us if we don't do exactly what he asks. Not that it's caused by Brexit, but wasn't one of the "promises" that we'd get great trade agreements with USA?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, red vtec said:

I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I recall only a few months ago, retainers were saying that come midnight of the day we leave the lights would go out. This seems to have abated. 

Just watching the news plenty of MEPs that I have never heard off crying about leaving  more like loosing a nice little earner. 

That was more in the case of a 'no deal' brexit - with an agreement in place actually nothing changes at all for now. I thought retainers were for teeth 😉

Those MEP's were elected by us and earn similar to UK MP's, Interestingly they get taxed twice on their salary, once by the EU and then by their home country.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/faq/13/salaries-and-pensions

1 hour ago, andydclements said:

But we do seem to be seeing Trump's darker side (albeit the less dark one isn't nice) where he /his government seem to be threatening us if we don't do exactly what he asks. Not that it's caused by Brexit, but wasn't one of the "promises" that we'd get great trade agreements with USA?

This was always going to be an issue. Dealing with Trump who changes his mind from day to day because he is by his own admission brilliant is never going to be easy. He uses trade to try and bully his way around the world.

10 hours ago, gregs24 said:

That was more in the case of a 'no deal' brexit - with an agreement in place actually nothing changes at all for now. I thought retainers were for teeth 😉

Those MEP's were elected by us and earn similar to UK MP's, Interestingly they get taxed twice on their salary, once by the EU and then by their home country.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/faq/13/salaries-and-pensions

This was always going to be an issue. Dealing with Trump who changes his mind from day to day because he is by his own admission brilliant is never going to be easy. He uses trade to try and bully his way around the world.

The Stockholm is strong in this one.

Yes they get paid twice but you must in a previous life have worked for Boris as a PR agent as your insinuation is totally misleading.  They get paid £7.6k a month, which is reduced  to £5.9k after EU tax and insurance is deducted. However that £5.9k is then subject to UK tax BUT ONLY at a rate that is equivalent to full UK taxation (i.e. the total of the EU and UK taxation paid is the equivalent, so no more, than the prevailing rate of tax in the UK). So whilst technically they get taxed twice, they do not lose out. However, it is not the same in all 28 (as we are still in today) EU countries with some countries excluding their MEP's from their national tax regimes.  I do think this paints quite a different picture to the one you were painting.

11 hours ago, andydclements said:

The promise was that we would negotiate a strong trade deal with the US and what are you seeing to suggest we wont?  Of course Trump, as President of the US, is positioning for the best deal he can get for his people. Isn't that what you would expect and what you would want Boris, as Prime Minister of the UK to do?  Do you think the UK Government is NOT threatening the EU 27 around things like access to our fishing grounds? Do you think the EU 27 are not threatening us with access to their lucrative Financial Services market?  Isn't this just diplomacy and the usual political modus operandii? (if you of course exclude Corbyn's take what you want and thank you for leaving me whatever you decide I am worthy to keep style of political modus operandii).

The small print.

• Gold FFM

Woke up this morning and I’m now really worried. The sun indeed hasn’t risen - I’m fearing the remainers were right...

• Haha 2

Only here once

Woo hoo. We're out. The sun is shining. The wind is blowing and like the tide the Pound is surging!

All great news apart from that last bit. We need to peg it right back.

Hope all the doomdusters, naysayers, harbingers of Remain are gagging on their flawed crystal balls.

Still a long way to go and many a bump to come.

The small print.

39 minutes ago, Black Forest Power said:

But what does it all mean?

21836A64-B0ED-4B2B-B811-788EA8FBF3E0.jpeg

But what does anything mean?

It could mean we are embarking on our next journey. One were having thrown of the shackles and dumped a load of baggage we are able to plot our own course. Yes, the sea may be treacherous, but we are steering the ship and going where we want.

An interesting question may be but what does this mean for EU!

For the first time ever a Platinum status member has left the club. Will this inspire and embolden others? A major shift in power that now truly elevates Spain to the top table with Germany, France and Italy. Two northern and two Southerns with different views on work, prosperity, taxation, immigration, etc. A teutonic shift.  All of the focus has been on the impact to the UK. EU have paid little real focus on what this truly means for EU. It's not just about trade and fishing with the UK, it is about how the very fabric of the EU has changed. A seismic shift in power. I bet the UK will react and adapt to its new surroundings far quicker than the EU.  The explosive result for Boris with his huge majority has fundamentally moved the goalposts. Whilst we had a marginal majority and then a coalition the UK was seen as weak by the EU. Oh my, how those tables have turned now and the EU has woken up to a new, resurgent, powerful UK thanks to that majority. We're powerful because parliament can now be controlled. Clarity of purpose and thought has emerged.

So what does it all mean? It means seismic change. Opportunity. And rough seas ahead.

• Thanks 1

The small print.

50 minutes ago, CHANGES said:

I Noticed the BBC did not post  Boris's Brexit speech on the Morning news..    Only available on You tube ..

Is that just not typical of how petty, single minded, and bias the BBC has become ...  As a totally impartial broadcaster that gathers its news from all sources , because this was about Brexit  positivity they chose to avoid it..      How are we going to come together as a country and move on as an independent sovereign state, if the Tax payer funded international news media have an agenda to sabotage  any positive attitude towards it..  ...  

Not only has its actions over the last 4 years been disgraceful over Brexit , but many other things like the Jimmy Savil  affair, and gross over payment of presenters  etc...  They need to put their house in order and do the job WE  pay them to do , or pack up completely..     I for one feel the BBC no longer has a unique position of providing the news and entertainment .   If it were not publicly funded with compulsory tax money, then i would have less of an issue with their Bias point of view. ( within the broadcasting guidelines )  

Until the likes of the BBC get on side with the fact we have left the EU  and start standing up for our future , reporting all the benefits we will have as well as the pit falls  , the re-moaners will keep dragging down the spirit of the people with fear and negativity...    Yes there is hard negotiations ahead , maybe a few bumps in the road,  but what ever it will be , it has got to be better than being ruled by an ever increasing dictatorial federalist European union that is already going down the toilet financially..      At least we are out before it goes round the U bend. !!!!    

The decision to refer to YouTube for the speech may have more to do with Boris & Dominic than the BBC. With a break from tradition Downing Street decided to film it themselves for some reason, rather than invite one of the usual broadcasters to come in and then distribute the footage to the others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bibs said:

And it only took 3,194 posts :lol:

Which just goes to show the enormous political influence and effectiveness this forum has. I think taht 3194 posts is about 0,0000001% of the spoken debate posts the parliament and the ec have had to come to terms.

Well done TLF!

I am sure we'll come to terms on trading etc, just takes a while.

And I hope my own country will straighten it's back and stand up and Dexit too.

Kind regards,

Jacques

a suppressed by the ec member of this forum.

• Like 2

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

12 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

The decision to refer to YouTube for the speech may have more to do with Boris & Dominic than the BBC. With a break from tradition Downing Street decided to film it themselves for some reason, rather than invite one of the usual broadcasters to come in and then distribute the footage to the others.

And maybe that was because they were fed up with the BBC bias who would normally be invited in to do it.

Like him or loathe him, Boris in my opinion is playing a blinder right now and many who lent him their vote must be happy with his actions on tax, the north, etc.  Time will tell if he can keep it up but right now I wish to remoaning doomsayers would just go and do one and finally shut the ... Up.

• Like 2

The small print.