Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LotusFella said:

Not a very nice view for the church goers. 🙂

I thought they were meant to go on the inside! 

39 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

That last photo is an outrage - I assume thats either a Saxon or Norman church.  May as well convert it to a Macdonalds now for that lorry park

Norman I believe from the 12th century. It's a very nice church, very similar to the one in my village from the same times.

There's one about 100 yards away, and the beautiful town of Ashford is soon to open the doors on their 4th! 

There is a burger van at the Lorry Park. He's probably expecting the promised 1,700 lorries that can fit there but he's just got a freezer full of shit burgers going off instead now! 

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Nice pictures but we do need some context. Cross channel trtaffic is running about 10% of norm at the moment. A mix of companies holding off around Brext just in case and pre Brext stockpiling (remember all the stacks of containers just pre Christmas).

I don't expect such flatlands to ever be fully utilised because there's only a little paperwork to be done prior to arranging shipment but let things settle down before we start going red in the face.

If business can't cope with a couple of forms they shouldn't be in busness.

2 hours ago, LotusFella said:

Not a very nice view for the church goers. 🙂

There's fewer and fewer these days anyway. Hardly anyone will notice.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

39 minutes ago, 100th_Idiot said:

I don't expect such flatlands to ever be fully utilised because there's only a little paperwork to be done prior to arranging shipment but let things settle down before we start going red in the face.

Oh what, just like the Remainers have been quiet for the last 4 years, and continuing now, predicting the carnage, the end of the world, alien invasions and taking it up the backside just to get food?  Ok, I'll happily wait but only expect to see it full when the French decide to hold one of their impromptu tyre burning parties at the port.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

31 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Oh what, just like the Remainers have been quiet for the last 4 years, and continuing now, predicting the carnage, the end of the world, alien invasions and taking it up the backside just to get food?  Ok, I'll happily wait but only expect to see it full when the French decide to hold one of their impromptu tyre burning parties at the port.

Quite possibly but I also think we should diversify our ports as discussed elsewhere. A lot of our economy is dependent on Dover

Dover is a short sea Ro-Ro port which predominantly serves EU trade with a large element of fresh produce. Diverting traffic through Liverpool, for example, just doesn’t work on cost grounds or on delivery time grounds. 
The real solution is to move to unaccompanied Ro-Ro,where the trailer is put on a vessel and then taken off at the other end & delivered by a different tractor unit & driver. However the logistics in organising this would be massive & probably still not as cost effective.

For anyone who’s interested, although 2018 statistics, this is a good insight into U.K. port traffic

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/826446/port-freight-statistics-2018.pdf

I thought I’d covered this earlier. Distance, distance, distance! In order to make money, ferry companies need their ships to run the shortest possible routes.

Unaccompanied trailers (drops) used to make up a large portion of freight traffic that wasn’t time-constrained. But over the years, the increase in trade meant an ever-increasing shortage of space to stack them (certainly on this side of the channel).

This is the main reason why drops are not in vogue, coupled with the additional time taken for one to be collected, which could range from a few hours to a few days. As Paul said, that’s no good for perishable goods, even if it would be acceptable for non-perishable.

But there another issue and that is that we as consumers don’t want to wait for anything these days. We expect goods over night, on-demand, and that’s what has driven the development of the current ‘free-flowing’ service at Dover-Calais with very few drops. Post-Brexit Customs clearance areas are endeavouring to maintain this flow by not clogging up the port of Dover, rather moving lorries to those large clearance parks for checking.

Margate Exotics.

17 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

That last photo is an outrage - I assume thats either a Saxon or Norman church.  May as well convert it to a Macdonalds now for that lorry park

It’s Norman. Norman churches have square towers, earlier Saxon churches have round towers, like this one.

D71D90C5-FD9B-48B1-A869-38B681FD7B0C.thumb.jpeg.ba9d115e619a00315eb501cc455a45ca.jpeg

Now, back to Brexit news.....

This is my favourite Saxon church in N Yorks (Gregorys Minster).  Those solar panels are a dead givaway on your example that its a fake :)  I guess there have been plenty of modifications and additions in the last 1000+ years.

Oh yeah back to Brexit.  Its amusing how the media have been hovering around for immediate chaos that seems to be noticably absent...  They have even struggled to get negative soundbites at te port.   

St Gregory's Minster, Kirbymoorside, Kirkdale, North Yorkshire, England,  United Kingdom Stock Photo - Alamy

22 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Those solar panels are a dead givaway on your example that its a fake

Oh for crying out loud fake news has now spread to TLF?

The small print.

21 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

There’s a shortage of fake news @C8RKH - it’s because of Brexit and the lack of being able to import it you see

To be honest Barry I'm quite fearful that everything is so quiet. Calm before the storm, or, was it all just a storm in a tea cup?  I'm really not sure.

• Like 1

The small print.

I agree that the solar panels are a later addition :) , but trust me, the church isn't fake.

I'm trying to think of a Brexit connection, and the best I can come up with is that I've noticed the sun doesn't shine as often since we left the EU - I don't think that's a coincidence.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neal H said:

I agree that the solar panels are a later addition :) , but trust me, the church isn't fake.

I'm trying to think of a Brexit connection, and the best I can come up with is that I've noticed the sun doesn't shine as often since we left the EU - I don't think that's a coincidence.

Our sun quota is only for May, July and September and the Frenchies are threatening to withdraw that if we don't comply with the rules, which, they haven't sent to us yet.

• Haha 1

The small print.

I spoke to soon, the end is nigh and the bad news is starting to flood the ticker network...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-06/resurgent-ftse-100-kicks-off-2021-with-best-ever-start-to-a-year

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM

@C8RKH isn’t it funny the Brussels Broadcast Company has missed this completely. I do distinctly recalled a few 0.1% crashes due to Brexit they did report on. 

how strange 

Anyone else think we should rush to rejoin before the food runs out?

Only here once

Well, I supported Brexit by buying a lot of books from you guys some time in November, as noone here seems to care write them in Danish anymore, now that everything seems to be forced into being English language. Even after Brexit. So that's one legacy...

Only problem is, that they were stuck in the gigantic truck jam at Dover, so they arrived well after Christmas.

Oh well, things suddenly seems to be as they always were.

I guess we'll all survive after all, despite the black, dark, doomsday prophecies.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

12 hours ago, Jacques said:

Only problem is, that they were stuck in the gigantic truck jam at Dover, so they arrived well after Christmas.

That was caused by President Macron shutting Calais in an total overreaction about the new CV19 strain, nothing to do with Brexit. 

It doesn't seem that different to the sort of thing you can see on the TV shows about Australia or New Zealand, where travellers have some snacks 9things they planned to eat during the trip) confiscated (different to when they have food confiscated that they were importing in suitcases etc).  I now it's stupid that just a few days earlier the exact same food would have been OK to take to the Netherlands etc, and the rules for producing the food haven't altered in the days since 31st December, but I guess there has to be a line in the sand.