IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Doug Ashley said:

So everyone of the 52% of the advisory referendum voted for the exact same thing?

Nope they did not. Just like everyone of the 48% did not vote for the same thing 

Come to think about, only about 25% of current citizens in the UK voted to join the common market. 0% of them voted for a European Army. A political armed border force. A Federal European State.

Democracy at least does appear to be functioning in the UK, even if the result was not to everones liking.

Time to move on from who voted what otherwise the UK will mirror Scotland where half the people are still bitching and moaning about Politics from 400 years ago.

• Love 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Democracy dies when the winners try to shut down debate.  I didn't see Brexiters moving on from the result of the 1975 referendum, because things change.  Our relationship with the EU is fluid, and we can still respect the Brexit vote while working towards a much better arrangement than what we've ended up with.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Doug Ashley said:

So everyone of the 52% of the advisory referendum voted for the exact same thing?

17331b835d628516d609013c79438e24.jpg

Not sure how this applies?

As far as I can remember there were two options on the ballot paper, not seven - Stay or Leave. Quite simple really.

Of course, people would have voted either way for many different reasons, just as people will vote either Labour or Conservative (or whatever) for many different reasons. As said, democracy isn’t perfect, but it is the best system and it’s important to respect the outcome or the danger is it falls apart. A lesson I still think the European Commission has to learn.

1 hour ago, Doug Ashley said:

Unfortunately, Steve and I are stuck with you in the lift after 52% of you voted we must all get in. We did point out the 'closed for maintenance' signs, but apparently exit meant exit.

It’s not the 52% who are still dripping about it, though. Neither do we have your superior ‘We know better” attitude.

• Love 1

Margate Exotics.

That cartoon demonstrates if you want grey walls until the end of time, or until the EU decide to paint them orange, you're better off voting remain

Edited by 910Esprit

• Gold FFM
43 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Time to move on from who voted what otherwise the UK will mirror Scotland where half the people are still bitching and moaning about Politics from 400 years ago.

Latest polls for Queen Nicola ain’t so good

Only here once

I see that Richard Burnett, the Chief Executive of the Road Haulage Association, is somewhat concerned. On 25th July 2021 he commented that :

" We`re facing potentially in the next 2/3 weeks a collapse of the supply chain and we will see even bigger gaps on supermarket shelves because we cannot get product into the supply chain. ...

This is a massive crisis - a crisis on a scale of which we have never seen before in this industry and Government is burying its head in the sand -it`s not recognising the seriousness of the situation

....we want the Government to recognise drivers and grant temporary visas to get more drivers into the country".

Now I am well aware of the "Pingdemic" playing a part-a very convenient catch-all scapegoat IMHO, and the frankly barking gutter press assertion that Tony Blair let aspirant HGV drivers go to university instead of their passion (?) for driving lorries (ie . over 14 years ago-and I would like to see a country where they can do both at different times of their life and not get into debt for the privilege but I digress ). 

But the inescapable conclusion(which from looking at many many previous posts I have no doubt some here will try to escape from nonetheless !)-the inescapable conclusion- is that the ending of the Single Market and Free Movement has negative consequences for the employment of HGV drivers.  Or is Mr. Burnett just another Project Fear spreader ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug Ashley said:

Democracy dies when the winners try to shut down debate

Usually this has been the behaviour of Remainers shouting down any reasoned debat usually through referrint to people who voted Brexit as being:

Thick. Dumb. Stupid. Racist. Fascist. Fookwits. Retarded.  Plus many more things all with a healthy dose off arrogance and a sprinkling of doom.  Just my observation on how the "debate" has been stifled/suppressed.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

4 hours ago, Doug Ashley said:

Democracy dies when the winners try to shut down debate.

Democracy was in intensive care when Parliament did its level best to overturn the result.   Does anyone remember Jo Swinson?   Thought not.....   (and Kier Starmer for that matter)   

• Love 1

Yes. The behaviours were pretty desperate and undemocratic.

Mind you, again, same in Scotland when YES lost

The small print.

• Gold FFM

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/newsroom/news-and-articles/green-cards-for-driving-in-eu-to-be-scrapped-in-august-2021/

so if they can scrap green cards - then no issue with scrapping border checks - which aren’t an issue at the Swiss border 

Only here once

Switzerland have their own agreements with the EU which means they don't require border checks but also restricts what they can do outside the EU. As I understand it they have lots of individual agreements rather than one overriding one. The EU don't like it as it is painful to maintain all the agreements so they want to consolidate to one. The Swiss so far don't like that is it imposes more restrictions.

It's one to get the popcorn out for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Chris Beckett is a very good Sci-Fi author and, although this is sort of a Sci-Fi novel, it's a more an examination of class and political divide in the UK in the context of Brexit. Well worth a read, if nothing else but to appreciate one possible consequence of tribalism.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50354023-two-tribes

Amen.

The small print.

On 19/08/2021 at 12:23, Kimbers said:

I liked to be able to drive to France and through Europe and did so regularly, but that didn't stop me disagreeing with the way they enforced freedom of movement. 

What exactly was the issue with freedom of movement?  The consensus here seems to be that we welcome migrants who integrate and contribute to the economy.  

Within EU law it states verbatim:

1. All Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of another Member State for a period of longer than three months if they:

1. (a)  are workers or self-employed persons in the host Member State; or

2. (b)  have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32004L0038&from=EN

We just chose never to implement that rule by controlling our borders properly.

We now face a cliff edge of EU workers returning home, without a pipeline of replacements.  It seems there is no backlog of Brits looking for work which was taken over by EU workers, which might have been an argument for ending free movement but appears to be a myth.  We are now seeing the effects with supply chain issues in many industries.  Brexit is not the only factor, but it's a big one.

Meanwhile, I now do not have the automatic right to work or retire on the continent or in Ireland 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Ummm hang on - what about my neighbour whom is fully able to work - has been retrained by the ESA folks to be a sparky and simply cannot be arsed to get out of bed and do a days graft?

Only here once