Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 154 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM
20 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

we do at least have the opportunity to vote them out every five years.

To what avail ?

Least-worst option?

and; why should we wait/suffer five years of crap (from any government) before we are then "allowed" to excorcise our democratic right.

A benevolent dictatorship is clearly the way to go, no-one else needs to support my view. 😉 

• Like 1

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thebartman said:

To what avail ?

Least-worst option?

and; why should we wait/suffer five years of crap (from any government) before we are then "allowed" to excorcise our democratic right.

A benevolent dictatorship is clearly the way to go, no-one else needs to support my view. 😉 

Welcome to democracy!

Margate Exotics.

On 22/10/2021 at 16:05, Doug Ashley said:

To be honest Doug that reads more like a list of grievances and whines than explaining how the UK Government / Ministers get away with zero accountability.

I can assure you that lots or people in the private sector get away with being, feckless, clueless, useless in their workplace. A lot of them get promoted, some to the Board, even though they have left a trail of chaos behind them.

So I'm going to say the case is not proven imho.

Great rant though 👍😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Went along with this until I saw the comment on “RAW Sewage!” Each to their own opinions but yep, your talking Bol**x 😵💫

• Gold FFM

Sadly water companies have been taking liberties for far too long and have indeed been discharging massive quantities of raw effluent into rivers for years and it’s only been getting worse.

frankly nothing to do with Brexit.

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, MJON said:

Went along with this until I saw the comment on “RAW Sewage!” Each to their own opinions but yep, your talking Bol**x 😵💫

Try living next to the river Wye.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

There's an evident correlation between a typical Lotus owner on this forum and right of centre politics, not surprisingly and me included. You'd hope and expect that the political party that represents your beliefs would be competent enough to prosecute them. I'm assuming @Doug Ashleydidn't vote conservative but I tend to agree with his points. Sure, they got Brexit done (good, will of the majority etc. etc.), but they do appear to be a bunch of self serving, narcissistic and pretty ineffective career politicians that are not in power due their abilities, rather simply said the right things at the right time and not being as obviously unable to govern as Labour. I expect more from the conservatives. Don't conflate one's beliefs with the abilities of the party you voted for. Just because they're in power doesn't mean they're fit for power. Johnson's a joke and I hope and assume that there's someone else in the conservative party better suited for leadership.

A labour government would be worse, but I really hope that a conservative government can be made better with a change of leadership.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJON said:

Raw Sewage is not put into Rivers by the government. it is dumped into the rivers by irresponsible water companies, farmers and others. Indeed, let's not forget the massive fine that Southern Water were quite rightly hit with earlier this year. I'm not sure what your point was @MJON, I may have missed it, but I can assure you raw sewage finds its way onto beaches and into rivers an alarming number of times. Apologies if I got the "shitty" end of the stick there.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

55 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Raw Sewage is not put into Rivers by the government. it is dumped into the rivers by irresponsible water companies, farmers and others. Indeed, let's not forget the massive fine that Southern Water were quite rightly hit with earlier this year. I'm not sure what your point was @MJON, I may have missed it, but I can assure you raw sewage finds its way onto beaches and into rivers an alarming number of times. Apologies if I got the "shitty" end of the stick there.

You did, and you covered it in your own post here, as did @Doug Ashley I’m not disagreeing that raw sewage isn’t dumped. The current reports are referring to a lack of drivers due to “Brexit” not able to deliver chemicals involved in the 3rd stage of treatment, that decreases the risk of algae forming. It’s the headlines I object to, “No Fuel, Raw Sewage, No Christmas” etc. All of this fuelled by a wholly irresponsible media and those who want to believe it when it suits there opinions to bash every aspect of this country. 🤐

• Love 1

• Gold FFM
37 minutes ago, Doug Ashley said:

I believe many conservatives would not recognise this government as conservative

Damn right - a massive parliamentary majority and still they faff about with economic migrants, rubber boats and 4/5star hotels. Ship illegals straight back no question - we do not need any further criminals with scant regard for the law. Only need to look at the headlines and everyday there’s a serious crime committed by such folks.

Only here once

Firstly, I confess I may well have over-simplified the issue, claiming (at the end of a bit of a rant) that 'it is happening'.  I'm sure there are no examples of news about the EU being over-simplified to sell papers over the last few decades... 😉😉

I've not found any direct evidence that it is the supply chain issues causing the increased volume of sewage reported all the way round the south coast of England in recent weeks.  However;

- The environment agency act on behalf of the government in response to the situation they find themselves in, and the relaxing of the rules is published on the government website (indeed in the BREXIT section  of the website...)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/water-and-sewerage-company-effluent-discharges-supply-chain-failure-rps-b2

- The article I shared highlighted the relaxing of the rules is in response to the real risk of chemical supply shortages.  (Apologies, I thought you could see a small number of Independent articles before getting to the paywall).

- There have been reports of high water pollution levels in recent weeks, including some effects reported in the right wing press alongside an update on the latest government activity:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10125805/Fury-Tory-MPs-vote-allow-water-companies-dump-raw-sewage-Britains-rivers-seas.html

Overall it's a clear example of the UK & Brexit having resulted in companies not having to comply with previous rules which were put in place to protect the ordinary person & the environment.

How were you able to determine that water companies had not yet applied to use the relaxation in the rules?  It may well be true that the supply shortages have not yet had a real impact, but even if this were the case I'm sure you agree the risk has increased at least temporarily?

• Like 1

This isn’t news, at least not to local residents.

It’s been going on for bloody years round here, and certainly years before Brexit. One minute we’ve got blue flag beaches everywhere, the next there’s warning notices not to bathe in the sea. No doubt there’s data confirming it somewhere, a quick Google showed one such incident in 2012, and that’s just one of numerous occurrences.

Margate Exotics.

Shocking comments in that article @Bibs. Anyone still out there who really believes the EU machine was not trying to crush us through the negotiations? Remember where the "leaks" came from!  I believe it's now the legitimate time to boycott all things French in the shops etc. These constant bitter, nasty attacks should be reacted to.

I for one will now stop buying anything French, even their red wine that I love. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM
9 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I for one will now stop buying anything French, even their red wine that I love. Enough is enough.

Can’t recommend Romanian Red enough - I’m not normally a fan of red - but some of their stuff is superb. Boycotting French stuff is a great idea - I’ve been avoiding anything from there for a fair few years now - they really are dire in their behaviour towards the UK and have very short memories.

• Like 1

Only here once

33 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Can’t recommend Romanian Red enough - I’m not normally a fan of red - but some of their stuff is superb. 

Yep, used to work out in Bucharest occasionally and a colleague still sends me some at Christmas. If you really want a great Red, got to be Italian, bit expensive but try Amarone 🍷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

they really are dire in their behaviour towards the UK

It's this really. It's like listening constantly to the bitching and moaning of the SNP, only in French. I've had enough. To be honest I'd be quite happy if we just told them to fook off and rerouted all ferries through Northern Spain and the Netherlands.  Just stick two fingers up at them.  I'd rather have higher prices and shortages than have anything else to do with them, I've just had enough of the constant shit they throw at the UK.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The small print.

Speaking of the SNP... Has anyone seen any comment from Nicola Sturgeon on this?   I find it rather ironic that France has 'captured' a Scottish vessel.  I also understand that its the Scottish government that are  responsible for the licencing status of the 'captured' vessel.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

I find it rather ironic that France has 'captured' a Scottish vessel. 

Had not heard that, they must not be that afraid of the Nicola.

The French have been a long term enemy in the past......

On LBC yesterday they said that we've issued 98% of French applications for fishing permits, 750 I think it was. The 2% which haven't been issued are because the french boats can't prove they fished the area before Brexit due to incomplete paperwork before the split. France has issued 2 permits, 2, to UK boats to fish in EU (French) waters. And they are out for war. :blink:

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.