Brexit - Page 32 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooooo - @TheKevlarKid - Yes I actually watch the Sky News most of the time now - as I stated I came in and turned the TV on and there it was (I tend to compare the channels a bit now when the Sky channel adverts are running :)). The BBC is a publicly funded body through the TV Licencing system. Being a licence payer myself I do have a right to comment as I am actually paying towards it, if the BBC was not a publicly funded body then your comment may have had merit. I have have nearly always been a great proponent of the BBC but recently, and I don't just mean the past few weeks, the BBC can be demonstrably shown to have a bias or possibly an agenda.

A good example from another crisis: The BBC showed footage from France of an immigrant and / or refugee female with a very young child in her arms on the ground banging her head on rails in front of a train and a border guard standing over her looking like he had pushed her and her child to the ground causing her injury. On Sky news they showed unedited / less edited footage of the same incident. What could be seen was the woman and child being dragged to the ground by another immigrant / refugee male in an aggressive manner causing her injury when her head hit a rail, other border guards dragged him off and the border guard in the BBC footage was standing over the woman trying to protect her and the child from the male immigrant / refugee. If that does nor demonstrate how the media, in this case the BBC, can skew news I do not know what does.

The problem with the lack of true objectivity being shown is that it is being watched all over the UK (and further afield) and a lot of people will believe what is being shown without question. Going back to my above comments if the BBC had interviewed people from a similar demographic then the comparison would have had more merit but they did not.

• Like 1

This article from the Telegraph

On Greece's economic meltdown in 2011

"When it becomes serious, you have to lie.

On EU monetary policy

"I'm ready to be insulted as being insufficiently democratic, but I want to be serious ... I am for secret, dark debates"

On British calls for a referendum over Lisbon Treaty

“Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?,”

On French referendum over EU constitution

“If it's a Yes, we will say 'on we go', and if it's a No we will say 'we continue’,”

On the introduction of the euro

"We decide on something, leave it lying around, and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back."

On eurozone economic policy and democracy

“We all know what to do, we just don't know how to get re-elected after we've done it”

Courts overturn Austrian presidential Poll

Austria's highest court has annulled the result of the presidential election narrowly lost by the candidate of the far-right Freedom Party.

The party had challenged the result, saying that postal votes had been illegally and improperly handled.

The Freedom Party candidate, Norbert Hofer, lost the election to the former leader of the Greens, Alexander Van der Bellen, by just 30,863 votes or less than one percentage point.

The election will now be re-run.

Announcing the decision, Gerhard Holzinger, head of the Constitutional Court, said: "The challenge brought by Freedom Party leader Heinz-Christian Strache against the 22 May election... has been upheld."

Should be an interesting re-run.

This is what really ANNOYS me about BBC reporting. They give you a snippet but do not go to the bother of explaining the ramifications.

"Outside the EU, the UK would trade with the bloc under World Trade Organization rules, pending a possible new deal on free trade.

WTO conditions would mean trade tariffs and non-tariff barriers, as the UK would no longer be in the EU single market."

So, would it really have been too hard for the journalist to then explain, WHAT the trade tariffs would be, and how the "non-tarriff barriers" would work and effect us?  I mean, isn't it the job of a journalist to investigate, present the facts, and then provide an opinion? I think a lot of people, both Remain and Leave would be highly interested in the detail behind those two points. Or as usual, have I just lost the plot?

Also, I get we need to trade INSIDE the EU, but considering the body has been in place for decades, the attached map shows just how bad they are at reaching out on a global scale - ONLY the countries in RED are ones that have active and current EU trade deals in place!!!

EUTrade.png

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Surely the same can be said about the government can it not? Isn't that a publically funded body though taxation? I know I pay plenty in. We're lied to, cheated and deceived every step of the way, and always have been ,no matter who is in power. I have no choice in paying them what they demand, when they want it. That's of course if I want to earn money and run a business in this country. to me its an illusion of choice that in reality you don't have. However, I still have the choice to listen or not even though I pay for it.

Hasn't it always been a tool of of government to be used as they see fit?

If I don't pay my license fee I'm breaking the law. The BBC doesn't make up the rules and laws of this country, the government does...

Edited by TheKevlarKid
sp etc

Just been watching BBC Breakfast complaints program, they've had thousands of complaints about depicting Brexiters as racist morons so they had a news producer on explaining how they didn't & we were all mistaken. :thumbdown:

Cheers,

John W

I heard one of the head BBC reporters explaining the 'rules' they have to abide by when reporting. Seems to me they've been breaking the one about impartiality for a very long time, well before their latest efforts on the Referendum.

Bad news sells? Yes, but unlike the commercial stations, who could be expected to report thus, the BBC don't actually have to sell news. So it should report facts, and present a balanced view, like what it says in their rulebook.

Margate Exotics.

100% percent agree with you Ian. Unfortunately the governance and leadership arrangements mean they will never be held to account! 

It's a real shame as BBC had a unique, global, impeachable reputation for open, honest, reporting with integrity.

Then we had New Labour and spin, spin, spin everywhere.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I don't think it was a coincidence that the bbc had a report agreeing their funding just prior to the referendum

Only here once

From the organiser (a comedian(?)) of the protest against democracy Brexit

"'We would accept the result of the referendum if it was fought on a level playing field. But it was full of misinformation and people need to do something with their frustration."

Where to start?

• The playing field was so tilted towards one side (and it wasn't the side that won the vote) that it reminds me of playing football as a cub scout on a council pitch with such a slope that playing uphill with the wind against you was impossible.
  • The misinformation was mainly from the side of the government. CMD and Osbourne were pumping out so much rubbish that it just became a joke!
  • It's the Brexiters that should be frustrated with these tw@s

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Hear hear ....

And look what's appeared today. So much for all that crap barrack was on about regarding queues and the back of them!!

Only here once

This vote is the most democratic I can remember. Big turnout and they even extended the registration window for goodness sake, which resulted in an even higher turnout.

I am not sure exactly what "lies" the remainers are going on about. Are they still banging on about the £350 million figure on the bus? Is that it? What difference does that make, they could have used £150 million it would have made no difference. The NHS thing was never a lie as nobody ever said it. All they did was make a suggestion that some or all of the saving could go to the NHS, a decision which would need to be made by government anyway, not the leave campaign, as everyone surely realised.

I'll go back to what I've said before. We had a democratic vote and the majority have spoken. Job done. Put the kettle on. Make a cup of tea. Get on with it. 

Now, as the FTSE 100 has risen higher than pre-vote, we seem to have a UK U S trade deal moving and positive cooperation noises from leaders of EU countries it is time for the hate from Remain to stop. It is also time for the lies and disinformation to stop.

We can't give £350 to the NHS as we still need to give the money to the EU each week. Oh, and we're not at war, the world did not end and 3m immigrants have not been kicked out. Let's just get on with life.

• Like 2

The small print.

• Gold FFM

Don't forget @C8RKH interest rates were gonna go up ........ 

Oh what happened there naysayer remainers??? It's now tipped to go down. A vote in the right box to save money on the mortgage ?

Only here once

Sorry but why the f**k did 30,000 people protest at the result in London today?  Don't these people believe in a democratic vote?

So after a long day of waving banners and shouting, they've gone back to their homes angry and depressed and they've achieved nothing.  What a futile waste of time.

4 minutes ago, Mark Blanchard said:

Don't these people believe in a democratic vote?

Only if the democratic vote gives them the answer that they want it seems

edit: added the following

An article “Theresa May is a great self-promoter, but a terrible Home Secretary” has been pulled by the Daily Telegraph. I read it yesterday.

http://order-order.com/2016/07/02/read-full-article-pulled-telegraph-pressure-may-campaign/

May is also the candidate of choice for Soubry, Soames, Clarke and Heseltine - you have to wonder why, seeing has how rabidly pro-Europe they all are.

The more I read about Andrea Leadsom, the more impressed I am with her.