Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 oil leak - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 oil leak

Hi everyone

Just been out in the car and somethings started leaking oil 😢

No puddles under the car but you can certainly smell it and there's occasional smoke coming up..  I'm out & about so can only investigate with torch on mobile phone.. Therefore can't see much!! 

Is this a known problem??? I've read the thread about the earlier evora & s model cooler & vvti pipe leaks, but assumed these issues were sorted before the 400 series cars?? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thank you for the info... 

I will phone main dealer next week.. When I bought the car (last May) it came with 12 months warranty, so hopefully I'll be covered either which way 🤞

Well, got the undertray off.... 

So far it's looking like possibly rear crank seal. 

Top half of engine, sump, oil pipes, vvti all look bone dry! 

Just to give an idea of how much its leaking

IMG_20200322_141330.jpg

Ouch. That is most unlucky as engine-wise, Evora pretty bulletproof. 

Make sure you notify the main dealer in writing now, so you can register the claim within 12 months in case the world does not open for business again for some time.

Justin

When I bought the car from leven group it came with 12 month warranty (aftermarket not lotus) 

Spoke to westover (now Hendy) this afternoon...  They were quite cagey/non committal when I questioned them about the warranty aspect..

Essentially Hendy are closing their doors today, so they have my details & will get in touch once they re-open for business (whenever that may be!) and I can then get the car over to them.. 

Let's just hope I don't have too much of a battle over this... Its not clever on a car that's only covered 8500 miles!! 

IMG_20200323_174532.jpg

Don't you need to speak to the aftermarket insurer? 

Personally, I would get the car to Bell and Colvill when they reopen (assuming they are shut).

Obviously don't drive it. 

Justin  

I think either myself or the garage can communicate with the insurer.. 

I hadn't thought about taking it further afield.. Not a bad idea 👍

Whatever happens it will be leaving my house on the back of an aa lorry 

call the warranty company, put them on speakerphone and record the conversation on another device - and dont delay.

if they can find a way to sneak out of paying they will try....been there (and won!)!

• Like 1

construction and property consultants : My company

Small update, 

After searching for the oil leak the other day, I cleaned the oil off the garage floor before putting the car away.

I noticed today the garage floor was still bone dry, so ok I started the engine & let it run for 50mins (upto temp etc).    Garage floor still bone dry!!! 

I then drove the car around the block (could smell oil burning after about a mile) get home put the car back into the garage, check 10mins later and the floor is covered in oil.!! 

I'm beginning to wonder if it's actually the gearbox leaking. But the oil doesn't seem to smell like gear oil!! 

All very odd... 

Different car but my Aston DB7 did exactly this, it was the crank seal. Hopefully yours is just a hose opening up or something similar.

Good luck fixing the issue soon

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting the update, and a good result, its good to let others know, often things get forgotten after there fixed and we are none the wiser, so again thank you

• Like 1