Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ecu - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ecu

As a matter of interest only, could anyone confirm that the circa 1990 Esprit ECU is type A082U7223?

This is the part number for the Elan ECU and the only difference between open loop and closed loop control appears to be with the Memcal which is identified by the service number. This is a bit of a bugger because a US Elan has had an open loop ECU fitted by a dealer.

Edited by Geoff

Geoff Smith

LotusElanCentral.com and BOLLECKS† founder

[†Bristol and Outlying Lands Lotus Elan Central Knowledge and Support]

Don't worry, there are lots :) Some people inhere are walking libraries :)

Marcus, Dermot, Jonathan, Travis or someone else know these things very well :)

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Geoff, the Esprit ECU is a standard GM part, GM part No 01228708. It is only the memcal that makes it Esprit specific...... I don't know if it is the same unit as the Elan, but I would think it highly likely that it might be.

Phil

98GT3

I can remember, as Phil says, that the memcal is Esprit specific, and they're quite rare, but I'm sure you'll find a definitive answer here !

Edited by bzguy

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Geoff, this any help? Clicky

mmmmmm.............. OK after reading that, it looks like there are at least 2 types of ECU, a 3 connector one with GM part No 01228707 and a 4 connector one GM part No 01228708.

Phil

98GT3

mmmmmm.............. OK after reading that, it looks like there are at least 2 types of ECU, a 3 connector one with GM part No 01228707 and a 4 connector one GM part No 01228708.

Phil

98GT3

Yes, the 3 connector ECU was for the non chargecooled Delco car. These had a similar memcal but it doesn't have the same mapping characteristics........And is the reason I chopped my non chargecooled harness and installed the 4 connector S4s ECM into my car. Much more fun with chips!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Geoff, this any help? Clicky

That seems to confirm that the ECU A082U7223 is common. Thanks for all the feedback (after James moved it to the right area!) and it's good to get a better understanding of what's what.

Does anyone talk to their ECU? Over on LEC, ESM (Alan or ElanScan Man) has developed an application to log the Elan datastream from mode 1 requests - it works fine for the turbo Elans and we've diagnosed many faults on line. It doesn't work for Normas though, so we're working on deciphering the non-turbo data.

All the best,

Geoff

Geoff Smith

That seems to confirm that the ECU A082U7223 is common. Thanks for all the feedback (after James moved it to the right area!) and it's good to get a better understanding of what's what.

Does anyone talk to their ECU? Over on LEC, ESM (Alan or ElanScan Man) has developed an application to log the Elan datastream from mode 1 requests - it works fine for the turbo Elans and we've diagnosed many faults on line. It doesn't work for Normas though, so we're working on deciphering the non-turbo data.

All the best,

Geoff

Geoff,

Yes, with the Delco equipped cars from 89 up you can use what's called Freescan and it allows interface with the ECM, files can be logged to help diagnose problems with fuelling, spark etc. It also allows you to check engine fault codes and reset them if needed. The interface can be done via a USB cable with the appropriate cable/interface chip and a good laptop or a serial port can be used as well. Quite handy I must say!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Thanks for that Artie and James, very interesting.

Edited by Geoff

Geoff Smith

:P

Thanks for that Artie and James, very interesting.

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• 8 years later...

If I recall correctly... The USA Elan turbo with a catalytic converter used a different ecu (2 connections I think)

This is the non cat version

9dff_1.JPG

This is the federal cat version 

$_1.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 6 months later...

What are the specific differences between FreeScan, TunerPro  and  EspritMon?

Which version of  Windows is required/work with them?

Which one would work with Win 7 or Win 10?

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• Gold FFM

Espritmon works on Windows 7 and 8. I haven't tested it on Windows 10 yet, but there is no reason why it would not work. The only potential issue is that most computers no longer have a real RS232 port (which you typically use to connect a serial to ALDL interface). Many of the available USB to serial interfaces only support the standard baud rates, i.e. 2400, 4800, 9600, 19k2 etc. and not the 8192 bits/sec needed by the Esprit ALDL. So if you have a DIY RS232 to ALDL you may run into an issue with a USB to RS232 cable. For Windows 7 there is a registry hack for a particular chipset used in many USB to serial converters (described in the Espritmon manual). Some other chipsets (RTDI) do support non standard baud rates. So, it comes down to what converter cable you buy. Clearly the folks selling USB converter cables to connect to the ALDL (USB to ALDL, typically with RS232 in between) have solved this issue for their cable. In that case Espritmon will run on Windows 10 if the cable supports it.

Hope this helps,

Erik

I find Freescan easier to use, but Espritmon gives more (and apparently more accurate) information and graphs. I've not used TunerPro on the Esprit yet, but it works great on the Range Rover (with a stand alone ECU).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have a scrap/faulty Delco ECU they could let me have or borrow please? I'm working on my V8 low cost ECM replacement project and have started to think about commonality with a 4 pot version...

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)