Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
200 mph 1-Handed on M23 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

200 mph 1-Handed on M23

This seems rather reckless to say the very least - especially seeing he did it one handed whilst holding his phone.

Lucky he didn't end up the same way the Lamborghini did in that other motorway video.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/driver-films-201mph-motorway-m23-sussex-a4448356.html

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Typical Audi prat. Ruins it for everyone else...such moronic behaviour will most likely have consequences for all petrolheads.

Justin 

• Like 1

Do that in Australia and its instant arrest,  Min 2 years jail and you car confiscated, in some states, impounded or sold. 

This guy thinks he got away with it, he for forgot people have in car cameras I’d say watch this space..idiot.

I would bet he'll be charged within the week.

Tosser.

I like driving fast but don't really get the fastest speed on a wide straight road thing.

On the right twisty challenging road 50-70mph is an absolute hoot. Driving the corners. Minimal braking etc. Much more rewarding than 150mph in an almost straight line.

Everyone is different. It always seems to be an Audi, BMW, Porsche driver. Was it not last weekend the Porsche guy was done at 180mph on the motorway?

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Ace reporting there!

"Shocking footage posted anonymously online shows the driver clock over three times the 70mph limit while appearing to drive with one hand."

3 times the 70mph is over 210mph - the clip shows only 201mph.

• Like 1
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I think it just proves @oneshot that to work in the media these days you don't need to be good at maths! In fact, the least you know. The least you think. The more excitable you are. The more qualified you are.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Looks like its an 'Audi' thing - as another one (or maybe the same) has been doing it along the M20 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8348039/Police-hunt-idiot-Audi-driver-filmed-hitting-200MPH-M20-motorway.html

Must admit I always think the use of the word 'Bruv' does suggest a slight tendency of being thick, and I that perhaps the reason why he thinks we have 'Fed's' in this country!?

Clearly, someone could be doing 100mph, what itself is 30mph over the speed limit, pull into the fast lane and you'd have an Audi RS6 still closing in on you at 100mph. Thats a hell of a difference.

I fear if this is allowed to continue then some innocent people are going to end up dead - and not just the reckless Audi owner....and his 'Bruv's".

Edited by KAS-118

Allowed to continue? It's not allowed now, it's illegal. Also, the vast majority of road deaths occur on rural roads, not motorways so excess speed isn't usually a factor in accidents, but of course when one does happen at speed it makes more of a mess. 

To be fair, Germany seems to get away with it just fine but the drivers out there are much more aware that there could be some German machinery hammering down the outside lane at a ballistic speed. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

@BibsHmmm...perhaps a poor choice of words - but by saying "if this is allowed to continue" I wasn't't suggesting it was legal - in fact quite the opposite; that there were powers to stop it.

That wasn't a case of just exceeding the speed limit but being completely reckless. According to the Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents “inappropriate speed contributes to around ten per cent of all injury collisions reported to the police, 13 per cent of crashes resulting in a serious injury and 24 per cent of collisions which result in death”.https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/uk-road-accident-statistics/

I agree that Germany do cope better, for the very reasons you go on to explain.

I'm sure most people have at sometime sped, but there's a big difference in doing 90mph on a 70mph motorway or dual carriageway - and 200mph - quite literally - whilst only holding the steering wheel in one had and concentrating more on filming yourself then what's happening on the road.

Edited by KAS-118

21 minutes ago, KAS-118 said:

“inappropriate speed does not contribute to around ninety per cent of all injury collisions reported to the police, nor 87 per cent of crashes resulting in a serious injury or 76 per cent of collisions which result in death”

Wonder why they don't publish it like this. 

• Like 1

Probably because they're called the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - and not the Royal Society for Encouraging Accidents 

What those figures relate to (in 2018) is that 17,845 Accidents due to a Driver being Reckless or in a Hurry (3rd most common cause); 12,151 Driver losing control (5th most common cause); 6,468 Driver travelling too fast for conditions (8th most common cause) and 5,102 Driver Exceeding the Speed Limit (10th most common cause).

All of these could be said to involve 'speed' to some degree or another.

That compares to the Most Common Causes of Driver Failing to look Properly 42,189 and Driver Failing to Judge Persons Path or Speed 21,211 accidents. 

I think is they said that only 90% of accidents did not involve excessive speed - then people may use that as an excuse (or at least feel its OK)  to speed more frequently and more excessively - and that would results in more speed related accidents and more speed related deaths.

It's perhaps worth remembering that behind these numbers there are real people - families that will not have loved ones return home (and not necessarily those of the driver - but of the people they have hot) and people suffering life changing injuries.

I, for one, don't condone Mr Audi man nor his 'Bruv's' - if you want to drive like that you can do so on a track.

Edited by KAS-118

If I was to wonder @Bibs I would say that it is due to a desire, that has been building for some time, to further curb freedoms and provide and exert more "control" over citizens.

The vilification of the motor car has been building for some time. At a time when cars are immeasurably better built and more capable (braking systems, safety cells, safety systems etc) we find ourselves with regressive speed limits on open roads and moves to reduce those speed limits further.  "Speed Kills" has been a slogan for years and used to justify this creeping censorship.

Then we have the "eco brigade" for whom the motor car is the destroyer of the environment.

I'm sure my ramblings above will come across as being pure madness. But all you need to do is look at the drive to autonomous vehicles and the political zeal around it. Indeed, the EU has already made it's mind up and its direction of travel is accelerating with the imminent changes to cars to enable speed and location to be transmitted, saved and tracked. Very soon, those nice little gadgets in the dash that recognise the speed limits on the roads will be linked to the ECU in a way that you will be electronically "controlled" to stop from you from going 1mph over the speed limit.  After that, the "enjoyment" of driving will be killed (ironically by speed, or rather the lack of it) and the move to full autonomous will accelerate.

Driving enthusiasts are being driven out. From race tracks with ever tighter noise controls, to legislation around cars features and functions. Future generations will wonder what all the fuss was about.

I reckon (due to my age) I have got 25 good years left of driving and my plans are to start racing next year. Just for fun. For the thrill of it. Whilst I still can.  Soon the racetrack will be the "only" place we can enjoy driving cars. The rest of the time we will barely be in control.

The small print.

37 minutes ago, KAS-118 said:

All of these could be said to involve 'speed' to some degree or another.

Speed being defined as not stationary. That's like saying they all involved a car. 100% of them involved a driver and as you said, the majority involve bad judgement from the driver. Maybe RoSPA would be better serving us by insisting on improved driver education and standards rather than just telling us to slow down?

13 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

At a time when cars are immeasurably better built and more capable

Doesn't the driving test still use braking distances from the seventies when some cars had drum brakes still! Have they updated that yet? @mayevora?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Speed being defined as not stationary. That's like saying they all involved a car. 

Doesn't the driving test still use braking distances from the seventies when some cars had drum brakes still! Have they updated that yet? @mayevora?

No, not at all. I mean if you 'Lost Control' of the car then to some extent or another it would involve speed. Being in a 'hurry' also suggests an element of speed.

You seem to be of the view that he has done nothing wrong. Well clearly he has because he's broken the law (as you pointed out) and IMHO it's not just a minor infringement but a significant one. He's demonstrated no consideration about the very real risks he was exposing others to at all - what appears rather selfish, even narcissistic given that he filmed himself and then posted it.

As I said, If he wants to travel at that kind of speed he could have quite easily done so by going to a track - where he's free to put himself at risk and not other innocent people. 

He could have then tested his driving skills against others - and bragged about that instead (if he did any good of course).

Edited by KAS-118

@Bibs some pretty radical views there about ROSPA. You need to stop reading the Guardian mate and calm down :)

• Haha 1

The small print.

27 minutes ago, KAS-118 said:

You seem to be of the view that he has done nothing wrong

Seriously? You think I condone driving at over 200mph on public roads in the UK?. Very, very thin ice mate.

And again I'm not condoning speeding on public roads but I doubt there is a track on the planet where you'll see 200mph.  

I was a volunteer Motorsport Marshal for several years and marshals have been killed. Driving recklessly isn't acceptable anywhere, tracks have very strict rules (albeit not a speed limit) and the you'll be told at every briefing you have to attend at every track day that you'll be going home if you're an idiot. They are not free-for-alls. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Seriously? You think I condone driving at over 200mph on public roads. Very, very thin ice mate.

And again I'm not condoning speeding on public roads but I doubt there is a track on the planet where you'll see 200mph. 

Well Mark Webbers says he has https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a10275908/porsche-911-gt2-rs-top-speed/

• Sad 1

The point is that if you want your 200mph speed fix you don't have to do it on a motorway - but you can get it on a track - or airfield - where you can get close to it. Indeed I recall one of the car Mags used to arrange a series of event where people with supercars drag raced each other - and I seem to recall (although stand to be corrected) that they got close to 200mph.

Iii people want to drive at super fast speeds then I feel they should be allowed to do so  - but its their choice and they shouldn't put the general public at risk.

18 hours ago, jep said:

Typical Audi prat. Ruins it for everyone else...such moronic behaviour will most likely have consequences for all petrolheads.

Justin 

You're quite right.

Speed-limiters were set to be made compulsory in 2022 https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/mandatory-speed-limiters/ and https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1246925/car-speeding-fine-speed-limit-technology-road-safety-rules 

You can see that actions like this are just going to reinforce the Ant-Car lobby and restrictions will become tighter and tighter. 

Volvo have just introduced a 112mph limit on their cars (but I don't think it currently applies to Polestar) - so you can see where this is all heading.