Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oliver Winterbottom - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oliver Winterbottom

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would like to thank him for giving us a design that looks even more exciting now than when it debuted 46 years ago and to hope he gets better soon, Trevor.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I gave up the struggle trying to customise a card from Moonpig or Thortful, so ended up printing out everyone's messages and sending it in a blank card we had in the house with this Ravilious picture:

image.jpeg.6e4c852090e803280f890198f63c65e5.jpeg

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes please include me for best recovery and thanks for all the work in the past done for our enjoyment. Bought my '74 Elite in 1984 and still own it.

ATB,

Richard

I'm glad he's there, fantastic nursing staff who looked after my father for his last few weeks and it seemed as though nothing was too much trouble. Very different to N&N where their attention is purposefully focused on getting people medically well (well enough to be discharged from N&N), so moving from one to the other is  a great sign of his stage of recovery.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry to hear Oliver passed away.

His work has always had a big impact on my life and influenced what I thought was attractive.  Perhaps, not necessarily aerodynamic, but memorable and emotive. As a designer, he was always the anti-Luigi Colani. When the wedge designs became trendy, he took the trend to the pinnacle of what the wedge could ultimately become, and did so, on a shoe-string budget. I always thought his only rival was Jerry Wiegert, both sharing a similar design philosophy at the time, and both having to get their hands dirty with engineering work, too. They came from an era and a cottage-industry where one couldn't work in a silo or on a computer. 

With the Tesla Pick-up truck hitting the market with many pre-orders, I felt like many of his original designs with Lotus and TVR became much more relevant in his final years.

To me, his work will always be very special and created many hours of emotional searching, shopping, fixing - and selling. 

For all of those experience, I extend to Oliver a hat-tip. 

• Love 1