Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 JPS project - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 JPS project

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No doubt Tom, it will all be going back to original albeit in UK spec losing all the emissions air pump equipment but keeping the Air Con. 

Going to keep it LHD I’ve decided as quite happy driving them in the UK having owned a LHD beetle and 911 (Same thing as some may say 😂).

I haven’t seen it yet as that photo came from Nick who does all my car moving.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

That could have been yours Fab! Whatever you do don't paint it, once original leave it that way. My car has lots of spider cracks in the black paint but is totally original, also the decals are original.

• Like 2

I'd keep original as you can always repaint it later if you want.

• Like 2

What a great starting point! 
Always nice to see original cars still turning up....not many out there in that condition.

I’d just do the bits that need doing. You can always revisit in the future if necessary. 

Whatever you decide to do, document what you have as it will be a great reference going forward for other restorations.

S2’s look great in black 

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I think that settles it and just be sympathetic with the paintwork. In fairness 099 and 013 were similar and with lots of TLC they both came up well. 
I’m going to spend a couple hours on the roof tomorrow to see it I can cut it back and remove those marks from bird acid.

The only paint I can see which has been done is the passenger front wing, I can’t find any damage or repair work so suspect it was a cosmetic scrape, unfortunately they masked the decals and just refreshed the black so that’s going to be a tough one. I may buy the decals and see how well they match and get this area redone properly,  my wife and son couldn’t see it though so maybe some time will sort if I’m careful.
Does the federal car have the same exhaust manifold as the domestic car? I’m going to see if the clutch is seized and if not I will just do the belts and go for a run.

The carbs are new Webber’s which looks like the result of a fire so someone got lucky before it ended up as toast like Domestic 100!

6E18FC41-894D-442D-9307-89B9D1715BEB.thumb.jpeg.16d8f570e5250fc58e51ed05a37e5027.jpeg
ED81DA95-9F2C-4113-8BBF-B9D095C8AC7C.thumb.jpeg.1fe68fd7b45cd215d6b98dbb606d68c2.jpeg3D7E26F6-426B-4D66-BD1D-C12886F9A77B.thumb.jpeg.9f9a2705a8c9e2a1561726c47755e207.jpeg

This will be a fun repair, I may try and find another cover as recreation of that finish will be difficult albeit not impossible 😏

A fire system is definitely on the cards, what’s the most popular choice?

Exhaust manifold is the same, just the down pipe that was different to fit the catalyst if it was fitted. Wet sand the bird poo with 3000 sand paper then polish, will remove the damage easily. Find a set of Dellorotto Carbs, much better than the Webers. Mask the decals then wet sand the edges of the paint to blend in smoothly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Roo, I’ve done the wet and dry trick on a few cars over the years and did it today on the wife’s Alfa sill as she inherited white paint from the road line markings which were fresh.
Thats good news with the manifold, Dennis gave me the DHLA carbs with the car so I’ll rebuild them over the winter time and fit the original filter which I already have.

Do you still have your emissions gear on yours Roo? 

15 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

A fire system is definitely on the cards, what’s the most popular choice?

Speak to @ChrisJ he has a neat system on his esprit

• Thanks 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

y4mQNHe8lnTCy-fMzyY3Vz5Yfis5x7IDpqPaEeug

Different engine cover in my Esprit, so it wouldn't fit there. @Lotusfab has his under the nearside rear window in his Turbo Esprit. Not sure where in his S1.

I bought my kit from JJC Race and Rally - mine is a much thinner bottle than they are now including in their current kits, and only cost around £130. Prices seem to have increased somewhat.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris, I thought you may pop along and answer 👍🏻
I’m looking at Demon Tweeks or JJC as options, shame all the shows are off as I’ve seen these at good prices when doing the NEC classics.

301312182622 This looks ok and very reasonable on eBay through JJC, they do a good automated kit ( 362531587205) as well which is tempting having been in a car fire before in the ferrari, it takes hold in seconds not minutes. (Why I’m no fan of 3 door family cars TBH).

Where is your pull handle?

Whats the favourite hand held for the cabin? Dry powder?