Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stick or Twist? - Page 2 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Stick or Twist?

blueg33

@blueg33 if you are happy with the int and esp the recaros easy solution: save your money for upgrading and stick to your "old car" , as mentioned before by others: the power of "even" a NA is more than enough for legal speeds (even from the german autobahn perspective over here ...;-) - the "old" interior is a very lovely place with "full" leather, not matched by the 400 etc (personal taste of course)

As Dennis Jenkinson wrote about his thoughts about upgrading from a 356 a to 356 b: the diffence was much too small to justify the money 🙂

@bosshog since MY 12 the 3rd cat has been deleted on the S1, sure the 400 has a far louder exhaust which flap could be opened from the sport mode independently (think actual 410 will open the flap in the exhaust after some revs due to other regulations in the meantime)

Edited by Snoopy1969
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the thoughts.  Its a real quandry.  I like everything about my S sports racer apart from:

Power and weight.  These are the things that going to a 400 or 410 change for me, and it make a real difference on my mountainous road trips where I am following some pretty quick cars, its not vmax that concerns me, its acceleration up and down the box 2nd, 3rd, 4th.  Ther 4**'s are noticeably quicker.

I think I have concluded that there are 2 compromises 

1.  Stick with the current car

2.. Go for a 410 sport and maybe fit Recaro seats for the longer trips where comfort and access to storage behind the front seats is useful (can recaro's be retrofitted easily enough? and will they sit high as per the Sparco's or lower as in the S1 cars?)

Thanks Dave

Glad you dont wear miniskirts...........

I would be interested in the yellow car if it wasn't yellow.  Showed the pic to SWMBO last night - the expression said it all.  Yellow is a non starter.

Shift lights are useful, I used them in my Tuscan, I fitted them to my G33 and I use them in the S 

The 400's are only a couple of years older than my 2014 S and I know that my car wants for nothing so I am happy that it's low risk, but I can see your logic

I have "no idea" what the tax is which is embarrassing, I just pay by direct debit, but because mine is an IPS I thoink its lower than the manual S

@DaveC72 Clearly you boot it around harder than me 😄 . In the S I never ever got more than 22mpg no matter how hard I tried. When I'm out for a (CAD) blast around Norfolk its 22mpg, however on the long trips to the Alps etc with lots of 'spirited' drving I average 27mpg. If I'm just commuting to somewhere on the A roads I hit around 32-34mpg so big improvement there for me.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

If you don't like the colour you could always go all YouTuber and wrap it... Just check the insurance impact first but the rest of the car is much harder to change!

Loved my 400 Auto and made seats more comfortable by removing spacer at rear of runners and moving to front, giving more under leg support and lowering seat slightly.  

Great fun on IOM and positive feedback from owners of Lambos, Mclarens and Fezza’s re exhaust noise ;)

4-DE16-B3-B-3218-4-AE5-B5-C8-F0-A11-CC97

Lack of armrests on the 410 models would drive me mad on long runs. 

So I say twist for 400 Auto. 

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 02/07/2020 at 19:37, paranoidandroid said:

Your current car is stunning, have you not considered some of the Komotec kits to bring the power up? That way you get the best of both worlds? 

I have, but I am not that keen on modding cars, you have to spend alot of £££'s and never get it back.  As well as Komotec type engine mods I would need to do brakes as well

I am just having my car made as close to perfect as I can for its age, spotted a tiny paint fault that I'm having fixed.  Then I will advertise it and see what the appetite is from people.

Replacement will be either a 410 sport of a Ferrari 360 (I like these, and sometimes a change is necessary)

It’s up for sale.  Let’s see what happens. To be honest I am relaxed if it doesn’t sell, but it is time for a change.  

Edited by blueg33

• 2 weeks later...

In the end , I went for twist.  The new owner drove the car away on Friday.  I’m missing it already, but now have a shortlist to test drive and negotiate.  

I dallied with an R8 V10 plus, very fast but can’t get on with the looks and interior from my 2007 A6. 

So my shortlist is, in no particular order:

Evora 410 sport - seats are a question  

Evora 400 IPS- sensible option

Ferrari 360 Modena - heart option. 

Havd already driven the first two on the list, testing two Ferrari’s next week, but I have driven one before.  Arguably more raw than an Evora. 

Owell done with the sale.  I think you really need to get the 360, for two reasons. One is you have to get the Ferrari thing done and out of your system. The other is to realise just how dated the Ferrari now is, and understand just how superior the Evora is against anythjng contemporary. 360, followed by GT 410 or 430 if you can push to it. A nice position to be in. 

Agree with @Bruss.

Audi R8 I imagine has poor steering feel compared to Evora, so would be ruled out for most Lotus fans. And it is heavy. 

I think the Ferrari will thrill you for a while but ultimately the driving experience will most likely not satisfy like Evora. 

Justin 

• Gold FFM

If you are looking at a Ferrari 360, have you considered the original generation Honda NSX? Power is down but in manual form supposed to be a real drivers car and I think they look stunning still. Should hold their value too and relatively cheap to service.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done. Be interesting to see how running costs compare.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Great news. It is satisfying owning different marques as it helps to distill what one really likes. 

I had the luxury of testing a Ferrari SuperFast for a week. Pointless car for UK roads and speed limits, too powerful (800bhp) and firm suspension. I am far happier in Evora or Elise S1.

Hopefully you will return to Lotus. If you don't, fair enough, at least you have genuine ownership experience to make that informed judgement. Keep us updated. 

Justin 

• Gold FFM

Supercarrooms offer decent prices on servicing 360s - not as bad as many will make out. 

Variety sure is the spice of life - be sure to whack up some pics - hopefully the mods won’t delete them 🤭

• Like 1

Only here once

I've never really liked the 360 shape from the front/front side on, the 430 is a bit better but I do fancy a 458 but their values are sticking pretty firm (so they aren't being used as much) and I'd want to use it so that would see the depreciation really kick in. 

However, really are interested in your ownership experience over the next 12 months so hopefully you will keep posting up in here as you go. Happy smiles and miles!

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Well done. Any details? Price, mileage, gearbox etc.? The first Ferrari I ever drove properly was in 2000 in a then new LHD manual 360 at Thruxton. It was a seriously impressive piece of kit back then.

Prior to that was an extremely rare and scruffy Dino 206GT in about 1990, but only manoeuvring around a driveway!
I am now 3 years in to Mondial T cabrio ownership and “looking forward” to the engine out cam belt change this autumn.

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I've never really liked the 360 shape from the front/front side on, the 430 is a bit better but I do fancy a 458 but their values are sticking pretty firm (so they aren't being used as much) and I'd want to use it so that would see the depreciation really kick in. 

However, really are interested in your ownership experience over the next 12 months so hopefully you will keep posting up in here as you go. Happy smiles and miles!

The 360 shape has really grown on me over the last few years.  It’s much more coherent than the 430, having classic Ferrari curves, the newer cars are quite angular.  The rear with the challenge grill looks especially good and makes the 430 rear look a mess.  

But this stuff is all subjective.   

• Like 1