Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
JPS Project - Page 11 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS Project

The engine looks good and as you say it has the baffled 2.2HC type sump like mine.

As David says with heat shielding, I’m running a SJ 4 branch with Volcanic wrap to reduce engine bay heat, mind yours is like a snakes wedding so that’ll be fun wrapping 😁.

• Thanks 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

One way is to add the vertical gearbox mountings which contain the bushes, and carefully crane it in one piece into the chassis, whilst supporting the rear on a low trolley jack, and locating the top bushes into the cross-member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Djs44 said:

Any advice on fitting the box and engine ? 

It goes in the boot :) 

• Thanks 1

It's getting there......

Good effort, looking smart 😎

Have you sealed up your gearbox end cover yet? I see you haven’t installed the silencer mount that’s all which means releasing the fastenings again if so.

1 hour ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Good effort, looking smart 😎

Have you sealed up your gearbox end cover yet? I see you haven’t installed the silencer mount that’s all which means releasing the fastenings again if so.

Do you have a picture of how that mounts - that's one of the bits that was in the boxes ....

Snakes wedding .. test fit of exhaust . It is like the rubics cube ....

I need the mounting plate that the silencer fits to before I can secure in place 

exhaust.jpg

how does one remove the driveshaft/disc connection piece - big hammer ?

rear brakes.jpg

• Like 1

That thing is a work of art!
Are you going to wrap it? You’ll definitely want a heat shield over that chassis bar as the paint will get cooked. Your chassis is in amazing condition as well.
Will the chassis brace bar still fit on this side with that exhaust?

Have you got any washers fitted between the radius arm and the mount?

This things going to fly, I see you have a crank sensor ring on the pulley so going injection with ECU route… 😎

Dave :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

That thing is a work of art!
Are you going to wrap it? You’ll definitely want a heat shield over that chassis bar as the paint will get cooked. Your chassis is in amazing condition as well.
Will the chassis brace bar still fit on this side with that exhaust?

Have you got any washers fitted between the radius arm and the mount?

This things going to fly, I see you have a crank sensor ring on the pulley so going injection with ECU route… 😎

Thanks for the feedback Dave 

It does look nice and now I know how to fit it ... I think I'll fit some heat shield material to the chassis and have some for the mount . 

I haven't put any washers in - I have some but I plan to get the geo done once it is ready . 

I didn't try the chassis brace yet and have removed the exhaust to trial fit the gear linkage - think I have a foul on the sump ( and then probably the exhaust 🤪) . I need to buy the heat silencer mount as mine is missing . 

I have mapped ignition but have kept the carbs . 240bhp/ton 😍

The disc inserts are out so I'll have a go at the brakes tomorrow . See what needs fettling ...  

@changes is ready for the chassis and is being very patient , which is appreciated . 

Cool sounds like you are all over it.

Normally the radius arms end up with 3-4 washers to get you in the ball park for the alignment.

2D9B8AC2-8026-45CD-96C2-D851D8822A7A.thumb.jpeg.98e454c09828f15dfe4d4260d242ecda.jpeg

Don’t forget you need the gearbox plate and the channel on thebS2 to mount the silencer 👍🏻
Dave will pick up any shortfalls when he gets the chassis as he’s an esprit expert.

• Like 1

Trial fit of the exhaust and chassis brace . 
Spent a good hour at Lotusbits with Mike and Dave getting all the bolts I’m missing .. 

hope ti fit the rear brakes and driveshafts shortly , then it’s the brake pipes and water hoses to fit and it should then be ready for the body . 

78B1CFF9-B970-4CA6-B578-A9BD72BB9011.jpeg

• Like 2

Lovely note from @Stuart.W. Further in regard to that exhaust manifold, is it possible to remove or replace with the body on chassis?

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

As far as I am aware, yes. It is on my S3 and was removed for a head rebuild post install… 

• Thanks 1

Couple of questions 

1. The sliding bolts I have for the rear (PNM) brake calipers  are of 2 types - one type has a rubber sleeve on it , the other doesn't . I assume that they are used in pairs - i.e. one rubber and one plain one per caliper - does anyone know and if this is correct , which one goes at the top ?

2. I have new rear wheel bearings . When refitting the driveshafts , how tight are these in the bearings - do then need a bit of force to fit - how best to action ?

3. The cross gate linkage kit ( from SJ ) includes a bronze bush and a rubber sleeve - anyone have a pic of where these go ?? Also , is there a rubber grommet fitted where the cable goes through the chassis 

Lastly - should the gear change mechanism ( by that I mean the bits at the bottom of the gear lever ) be greased ??

Thanks for any advice . 

Yes one of each for the sliding bolts, I can’t remember which one was which though.

The sleeve goes in the pivot lever the cable attaches too if yours is worn. I think the rubber is for if use the modified kit on an original cable from memory to slide over the thin rod.

I do grease my gear mechanism when I build it up, the area is dry in the tunnel unless you flood the car so it doesn’t need plastering with grease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1