Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 150 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

Whilst popping in for lunch I have just watched the Sky news presenter interview a German (I think) MEP about the Corona vaccine situation, it was hilarious (if it's available online you must watch it). It can only be best described as a combination of Yes Minister and 'Allo 'Allo! even the presenter failed to keep a straight face.  The MEP's answers were pitiful but basically Astrazenica are a bad company who don't play fair, no the EU will not move its stock piles of Vaccine they have that is not being used to the areas that need it, and who would buy from Astrazenica anyway as they don't do anything properly especially testing (but they want it anyway). Oh and he didn't believe they were doing it at cost as claimed - but around £3.00 per dose compared to Pfizer at £27.00 (IIRC) sort of says it all.

If it was a comedy it would be up for an award.

MEPs are windbags of the worst kind. They tend to be of low ability, with little experience of the world outside politics and are mostly failed politicians from whichever country they represent. 

They are essentially free loaders with no responsibility or anything useful or worthwhile to do. 

Was never a fan of Juncker, but he speaks sense on vaccines. From The Telegraph:

Jean-Claude Juncker attacks Ursula von der Leyen for 'stupid' vaccines trade war with UK

Former European Commission president attacked EU vaccination strategy as penny-pinching and too cautious.

Mr Juncker led the EU executive from 2014-2019 before Mrs von der Leyen took over.  

Jean-Claude Juncker has attacked Ursula von der Leyen, his successor as European Commission president, for starting a “stupid vaccine war” with Britain. 

Mr Juncker said he was “not a fan” of Mrs von der Leyen’s threat of imposing an export ban on EU manufactured jabs to the UK and warned it would “create major reputational damage” for the bloc.

“We used to be the world's free trade champion," he said as EU leaders meet for a summit to discuss the potential ban, "We have to pull back from a vaccine war.”

Mr Juncker also criticised the EU for being too slow in approving and buying vaccines, branding the bloc as “too cautious” and “budget conscious” in an interview with BBC’s HardTalk.

The veteran politician led the commission from 2014 to 2019, which included the period after the Brexit referendum. 

"We have special relations with Britain, there's room for dialogue [...] nobody in Britain, nobody in Europe understands why we are witnessing such a stupid vaccine war,” Mr Juncker said. 

“What the EU is asking for cannot be dealt with in a war atmosphere. We are not in war and we are not enemies - we are allies."

The former prime minister of Luxembourg added: "I don't understand this [EU] temptation to fight against Britain, and the British temptation to fight against the EU. Let's discuss it amongst adult people. What is the image we're giving?'"

The EU summit, forced online because of the third wave of coronavirus sweeping Europe, is being held as new trade rules come into force which allow Brussels to target countries, like Britain, with higher vaccination rates than the EU. 

The commission has already threatened to block the export of millions of AstraZeneca vaccines from the company's Halix plant in Leiden, the Netherlands. It wants the UK to forego its first refusal on supplies from AstraZeneca’s two British plants so they can supply the bloc.

Divided EU leaders are expected to withhold explicit backing for a ban amid fears it could spark a vaccines trade war.

But the pressure on Britain is expected to build because France, Germany and Italy all support Mrs von der Leyen’s plan to threaten bans targeted at AstraZeneca.

This just illustrates what has been a big problem in the EU for years and was evident during the brexit negotiations. Too many so called diplomats (although mainly French) who think they are entitled to give their views to the press

Coronavirus: France accuses UK of 'blackmail' over vaccine exports https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56540149

This got pointed out to me at work (work related):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56538653

My response, It's probably French and full of Vaccines.

Forgot I was speaking to an Austrian married to a Frenchman. :rofl:

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Also infuriating that they refer to the strain as the "British variant", you mean the one that Britain were able to identify as being a new strain, which Europe were in blissful ignorance of and which stated in the UK in those towns with ports, but mainly Dover.... 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

1 hour ago, PaulCP said:

This just illustrates what has been a big problem in the EU for years and was evident during the brexit negotiations. Too many so called diplomats (although mainly French) who think they are entitled to give their views to the press

Coronavirus: France accuses UK of 'blackmail' over vaccine exports https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56540149

Talk about utter perversion of the truth. It's the French Government which has been backing Von der Lying's export bans, "fairness" and "reciprocity" - that is actual blackmail, wrapped up with a bow.

French politicians are really not very good. Utter rubbish, you might say. Luckily no one in the UK will pay any attention. 

Oh how I laughed at this. The EU could not have made this more of a public balls-up if they tried. No matter how hard they tried!  Not really funny as tragically people in the EU will suffer and die as a result of their unelected bureaucrats for sure. Apparently Cummings is going to go up for a look-see.

Boris rubs EU's nose in it: Novavax jabs to be made in Britain after Brussels snubbed

BORIS JOHNSON has confirmed 60 million doses of the Novavax coronavirus vaccine will be bottled in the UK - just days after the drugs company delayed signing a contract to supply jabs to the EU.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

21 minutes ago, SFO said:

Apparently they were originally going to be bottled in Germany ..

Cars, Vaccines. All of them "made" in the UK are better than their German equivalents!  :rofl:

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Hmm. Did Novavax bottle it?

No. They left all the hot air and liquid shit in the EU commissions offices and refused to bottle it!  :)

• Haha 1

The small print.

From the little I have read the UK ordered 60M Novavax vaccines. It is this that will be finished and bottled in the UK by GSK. Haven't found anything about them refusing to sign a contract with the EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The small print.

Here's a nice example of the government's ineptitude. I took my mother for her 2nd Pfizer dose today only to be told when we got there that they had run out. They said they called her to reschedule the vaccination but she said she didn't get any such call (not surprising as she has Alzheimers). They also told me that quite a few people had been turning up for their 2nd dose only to be turned away too. It's quite unbelievable that the government is so obsessed with the number games and getting headline grabbing figures for 1st doses that they haven't kept enough in reserve for the second doses.

Don't be silly Paul. It's that bastard muppet Bojo and the hateful Tory government who don't give a shit about anyone but their chums! Can you not see that? :rofl:

A Labour government would never do anything so underhand as to support their donors and mates would they?

The small print.