Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
If you didn’t get the Evora what else were you considering? - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

If you didn’t get the Evora what else were you considering?

Celica

On 19/02/2021 at 11:19, EGTE said:

Of course, the fact that the majority of chief engineers are ex-Lotus on McLarens is probably why they're so good.

And suffer from some Lotus traditional issues such as paint etc. :)  Good job when Lotus replaced them these things got better.

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Couldn’t agree more that’s why it would have to be the 55AMG. I agree it’s not a sports car but could be fun in other ways, convertible at a touch of a button, cheap road tax, 30+ mpg, great sound, and a big shove in the back when you want it. Just make sure you don’t try and carry the speed through  a bend. Would I buy one? Not sure, but I’d like to try one.

I've had a big V8 in a small car before and was fun and a bit scary in equal measures, and that did go around corners.

Edited by RHDV8

The SLK does have its merits, not least the folding roof, and to be fair, my wife’s 350 V6 is quite quick in a straight line. Because at the moment it’s the only convertible we’ve got, I have been known to use it on a nice warm summers day. If you want to drive enthusiastically on winding B roads though, forget it, the SLK really isn’t the right car for you. 
My wife likes it though but I don’t think ‘driving’ and ‘enthusiastically’ are two words she’s ever likely to use in the same sentence. 😁

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I didn’t need a car so was more driving past the demonstrator of the dealer nearby that created the hitch.

At the times I needed a +2 to justify to my wife buying another car (no way i was selling the elise).

I saw an i8 while in holiday that I liked as well but those tyres (berk). I never wanted a 911. That just doesn’t leave much else if you want a sports car with kiddie seats. My wife would have liked a California but this is a truck to drive.

Edited by PAR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spinney said:

My wife likes it though but I don’t think ‘driving’ and ‘enthusiastically’ are two words she’s ever likely to use in the same sentence. 😁

Ditto, sounds like you and me both have over specced the wife's car!! 

• Haha 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

A few years ago I convinced my wife that a Lancia Delta Integrale 16v was the ideal car for a new mum. She has no real interest in cars, but I got so worried every time she brought it back from supermarket car park, that it had to go when we needed a car with a bigger boot for the double buggy with child #2. That car was a JDM Subaru Impreza WRX... Again she had no interest in the car, but she refused to drive around in a car with gold wheels, so I had to spray them grey. Eventually I just gave up and she has had super mini hatchbacks ever since.

• Haha 1

I have a big soft spot for the Type-R, never owned one but its always been on my list!  I spent a lot of time in my friends EP3 and it was sensational!

When it came to choosing the Evora though, the Elise and Exige were it's only contenders!

10 minutes ago, EGTE said:

I did also consider the Noble GTO.

And as you live in Devon, there is a Nobile official service agent at South West Lotus. They are nice looking cars, but would wonder how easy it would get to get parts?

2 hours ago, Kimbers said:

I am a bit of a "underdog" supporter. I would rather cut my left nut off than have a German pile of crap. So I wouldn't ever dream of anything like Porsche, Merc, BMW or any such nonsense.

If I hadn't had the Evora my choices (and I had driven them and seriously considered them) are below:
2021 Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition

2017 Ford Focus RS - A New Era for Fast Fords - YouTube

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is a friendlier brawler | Ford mustang  shelby gt500, Ford mustang shelby, Mustang shelby

Good choices but for a chap of my age, a bit ‘boy racer’ I’m afraid. Of the three, I’d probably go for the Mustang but with a more sober paint job. 
I know it’s considered the boring choice but I’ve bought German for my daily since around 1986, I think. The only bad car out of 14 was a BMW 528 which was the ultimate Friday afternoon car and let me  down more times than I care to remember. Nice drive when it was going, but I couldn’t wait to get shot of it. 
Over that same period I’ve always had either a Lotus or Caterham for fun, so don’t feel too bad about buying German for work use! 😁

2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

A few years ago I convinced my wife that a Lancia Delta Integrale 16v was the ideal car for a new mum. She has no real interest in cars, but I got so worried every time she brought it back from supermarket car park, that it had to go when we needed a car with a bigger boot for the double buggy with child #2. That car was a JDM Subaru Impreza WRX... Again she had no interest in the car, but she refused to drive around in a car with gold wheels, so I had to spray them grey. Eventually I just gave up and she has had super mini hatchbacks ever since.

I bought a Clio RS200 for 'er indoors. It was 9 years old, 32,000 miles from new - and drove like new, having had a university lecturer as first and only owner. 2 years on, 46,000 miles now on the clock, I decided she was probably not getting full value from the 200 horses, so I bought a 5 door Swift Sport. 

Only on washing the Clio for sale, did I take a close look at the tyres (shame on me, I know). Date stamp is 46/09, which means the tyres are 2009 as fitted by Renault at the factory. Still plenty of tread on the original Michelin.  So I really do know this car has been wasted on the two drivers who have done the bulk of the mileage. 

RS200 are fab, I love driving it but I hardly ever did, as I would rather be in Evora.

Swift is mildly disappointing - good but steering not as sweet as a Renault RS and slightly choppy ride. My expectations were high, after many good reports. 

Justin

6 hours ago, PAR said:

At the times I needed a +2 to justify to my wife buying another car (no way i was selling the elise).

I am in exactly the same spot but on the other end of the stick. I would love to have an Elise but fear I would never forgive myself for selling the Evora to buy one.

If it has to be one car that you will keep... would it still be the Elise over the Evora?

Not a rationale choice, I have owned the Elise for almost 20 years. I take it out only in the summer, the Evora I drive all the time.

Everytime I get the Elise out, I feel like I rediscover driving but the Elise is in a garage away and the Evora is on my driveway so you are likely to miss it, particularly if you have an emotional link.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spinney said:

Good choices but for a chap of my age, a bit ‘boy racer’ I’m afraid. Of the three, I’d probably go for the Mustang but with a more sober paint job. 

Yeah but the fact it's a Shelby means thats the paint job associated with the brand :)

In terms of boy racer. Yes. At 53 years old I still hanker for that experience I had when 18 and I had my Mk1 XR2, XR3i and Cossy. The Honda, I drove at a race track and I found it absolutely brilliant and Grin inducing. And, unlike the BMW. Audi M3/5 etc etc a lot cheaper to repair and service so I think that would be my choice.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

1 hour ago, Kimbers said:

Yeah but the fact it's a Shelby means thats the paint job associated with the brand :)

In terms of boy racer. Yes. At 53 years old I still hanker for that experience I had when 18 and I had my Mk1 XR2, XR3i and Cossy. The Honda, I drove at a race track and I found it absolutely brilliant and Grin inducing. And, unlike the BMW. Audi M3/5 etc etc a lot cheaper to repair and service so I think that would be my choice.

What Honda did you drive around track?

2 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Yes it is, but I'd still want to tone it down a bit. We had a tour around the Shelby plant just outside Las Vegas a couple of years ago and they had a few Mustangs in then.

In Vegas, yeah go for it but in leafy Hampshire, hmm I'm not so sure it would fit in somehow!:D

I did all the heavily modified Anglia, Lotus Cortina, big engined Capris and XR3i etc bit way too long ago to get away with doing it again now. My ageing frame doesn't respond well to rock hard suspension these days! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Celica said:

What Honda did you drive around track?

type R 300bhp model mate. Just before it came out in the UK.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/02/2021 at 21:13, RHDV8 said:

Don’t all laugh together but how about a Mercedes SLK 55 AMG.

I would think they would be quite fun, just not quite in the same way as an Evora.

On 22/02/2021 at 12:30, RHDV8 said:

Couldn’t agree more that’s why it would have to be the 55AMG. I agree it’s not a sports car but could be fun in other ways, convertible at a touch of a button, cheap road tax, 30+ mpg, great sound, and a big shove in the back when you want it. Just make sure you don’t try and carry the speed through  a bend. Would I buy one? Not sure, but I’d like to try one.

I've had a big V8 in a small car before and was fun and a bit scary in equal measures, and that did go around corners.

I had one for a while. Great fun in a straight line, makes a fantastic noise but awful in corners. You need to wear a sailors cap and shout things like hard-a-starboard before attempting to turn in. The V8 is a boat anchor over the front axle and it does not like changing its direction of travel. Its a one trick kinda car

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gadzooks said:

I had one for a while. Great fun in a straight line, makes a fantastic noise but awful in corners. You need to wear a sailors cap and shout things like hard-a-starboard before attempting to turn in. The V8 is a boat anchor over the front axle and it does not like changing its direction of travel. Its a one trick kinda car

Thanks for the insight, the combo of folding hard top, open air motoring and a hint of Q car is appealing but I guess it’s something that needs to be tried.