Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
M100 & Esprit s3 owner - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

M100 & Esprit s3 owner

JusNoGood

Very nice. It was without doubt one of my top five holidays.Just exceptional. I did a write up of the trip for  LEC and Club Lotus 🙂

17B07A5D-E24E-4065-B9F5-55C4A018902B.thumb.jpeg.ae53c6989a3d417238bf83c796d1e65c.jpeg

I’m keen to build up my knowledge and confidence in the Esprit to do some driving trips in that. I’m planning to do the nc500 next year, just haven’t decided which car to use yet 😁

• Like 1

She’s still looking fantastic and what an interesting M100 it was.

Nice choice with the Esprit, the S3 is so well balanced you will love it!

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

1 hour ago, JusNoGood said:

I’m keen to build up my knowledge and confidence in the Esprit to do some driving trips in that. I’m planning to do the nc500 next year, just haven’t decided which car to use yet 😁

I had a similar choice last year when I did the NC500 (S3 Esprit, S1 Elise or M100) and I chose to take the Elan. It was the absolute right choice given the roads up there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Welcome to TLF, stunning couple of cars right there :)

Thanks very much Bibs. You won’t remember but I met you very briefly in the hotel the night before the 70th. I was with Dave Pink and Clemo 👍

• Like 1

I thought 'Bibs' was a computer algorithm - he/she/they actually exist?

Esprit is a honey to drive - easy on fast A roads, S3 munches the miles too.

Justin 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

She’s still looking fantastic and what an interesting M100 it was.

Nice choice with the Esprit, the S3 is so well balanced you will love it!

Dave :) 

Thanks Dave. I've plowed quite a bit of money into her since I bought it from you. All reversible upgrades but she can eat continents now  😁 , which she did with ease. 70-85 all the way down France, then over the Alps and all the way to Assisi and back via Cinque Terre was a doddle. 6 weeks of perfect top down motoring.

S3 was an interesting choice for me. I think in 96 I would have gone S3 Turbo and definitely in red no question or a JPS if I could find one.  Evening before going to see this one the Mrs asked why I need a 3rd car (3rd? I have plans for 4 😆, didnt tell her). When she saw it she immediately said, can we go on driving holidays in this? Even before I'd decided myself to buy it!

6 minutes ago, jep said:

I thought 'Bibs' was a computer algorithm - he/she/they actually exist?

Esprit is a honey to drive - easy on fast A roads, S3 munches the miles too.

Justin 

Great thanks for the encouragement Justin. I'm very keen to start putting on the miles and enjoying it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

I had a similar choice last year when I did the NC500 (S3 Esprit, S1 Elise or M100) and I chose to take the Elan. It was the absolute right choice given the roads up there. 

Yes, I think the M100 is an exceptional car for covering long distance in comfort and plenty of luggage space. When we were driving back from Italy over the Alps I found its achilles heal though. The heavens opened and we got pretty wet inside the car😆. Totally acceptable for one day but I'm worrying two weeks of that would really....errr......dampen the spirits ☺️  

Out of interest what time of year did you go Barrie and what was the weather like? I've heard May is the best time to go...missing caravans and midges.

1 hour ago, JusNoGood said:

Out of interest what time of year did you go Barrie and what was the weather like? I've heard May is the best time to go...missing caravans and midges.

Justin, we went in early September and were very lucky with the weather. We had originally planned on early June but had to postpone due to Covid. You need to book accommodation early to get the best places although you can get lucky like we did in staying places like Duns Castle on the way up. I think Sept was a good time to go and we didn't see any midges.

Appreciate that the Elan can get damp inside but I think the Esprit is probably too wide a car for the very narrow lanes/blind bends on the NC500 and on many occasions I thanked myself for bringing the Esprit.

Motorhome/slugs are an issue on the trip - they are supposed to pull over and let you through after several passing places but don't. I suspect whatever time you go you'll be plagued by them. Getting up early or driving later in the day seemed a good idea on the days we did it. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

NC500 right now is VERY busy; seems many are doing it as an alternative to international travel.  I suspect it'll be so for this year and next, at least.  We went in June 2019, doing the major route and several offshoots, which were incredible.  Agree, Esprit would be a baaad idea on some of these roads.  Weather is entirely pot luck.  We had anything from lovely to awful, but not a midge in sight.  Fantastic, stunning, will go again - tailoring our own route to pick up on all the amazing stuff not on the main drag.

The NC500 concept has grown well beyond the area's ability to accommodate.  Book early, and be prepared for ignorant fools that shouldn't be negotiating single-track roads with a bicycle, let alone a camper.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I haven't done the NC500 yet but hopefully plan to at some point.

I have done a 10day trip around the Alps, down to the Italian lakes and back through the Black Forest. That was hands down the best trip I have down. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Like the NC500, you have to contend with narrow roads and cyclists. I did it in June when the ice was still melting. The roads were clear but had snow stacked up on the sides and water gushing down over the open tunnel structures. Amazing, as you drive in heat yet have the snow on the side. One of the guys had a snickers bar that had melted in the heat and used the snow to solidify it again when we stopped for a break !

Lovely S3 by the way, is that the one the retired Doctor restored ?

?type=forums_topic%26change_section=1&ti

• Like 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

42 minutes ago, Bling said:

I haven't done the NC500 yet but hopefully plan to at some point.

I have done a 10day trip around the Alps, down to the Italian lakes and back through the Black Forest. That was hands down the best trip I have down. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Like the NC500, you have to contend with narrow roads and cyclists. I did it in June when the ice was still melting. The roads were clear but had snow stacked up on the sides and water gushing down over the open tunnel structures. Amazing, as you drive in heat yet have the snow on the side. One of the guys had a snickers bar that had melted in the heat and used the snow to solidify it again when we stopped for a break !

Lovely S3 by the way, is that the one the retired Doctor restored ?

?type=forums_topic%26change_section=1&ti

Stunning photo. We went in early September. Roads were clear. We had the top down and wearing T-Shirts all the way down france and through Switzerland. Stopped at the top like you and had snow next to the car. When we came back up, mid-October, the pass was closed unfortuantely as it was forecast to heavy snow in the next hr or so.

Yes, it is the one done up by the Doctor. How do you know it Spy?

Thanks all for the tips. My daughter moved to Edinburgh in Sept last year. We did a trip first to the west, Isle of Mull and stayed in Barcledine Castle then went across to see her. Stunning holiday but very wet and chilly. 

• Gold FFM

An M100 was my first Lotus and we enjoyed many adventures with it.  My wife loved it too and was still driving it when 8 months pregnant.  Wish I'd kept it when I bought an Elise and maybe one day I'll get another.

The Esprit looks stunning.  Monthly meetings at Newlands Corner will resume in June so we'll maybe get a chance to see it there?

1 hour ago, TomE said:

An M100 was my first Lotus and we enjoyed many adventures with it.  My wife loved it too and was still driving it when 8 months pregnant.  Wish I'd kept it when I bought an Elise and maybe one day I'll get another.

The Esprit looks stunning.  Monthly meetings at Newlands Corner will resume in June so we'll maybe get a chance to see it there?

Yes great. Guildford not too far from me 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Justin. :welcome:

The Italy trip sounds like it was a hoot.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)