Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Which drivetrain have you selected? - Page 4 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Which drivetrain have you selected?

Bibs

Which drivetrain have you selected?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pragmatism!

I wouldn't be buying 2 of them if I thought they will anything other than perfect.

I might as well have got the Gallardo Suoerleggera I was looking at 😁

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I like swapping gears and using all limbs so it’s a V6 for me. There seems to be a belief that the i4 is a much cheaper alternative, but I may be wrong however I’d think if you equal the spec on both cars then I can’t see there will be too much difference in the cost. Also many are talking of tuning potential of the i4, can see very few people tuning this while in warranty so that will be 3 years away. Why buy a car based on a power upgrade towards the end of 2025? Surely there will be an upgraded Emira to buy then with a fresh warranty? And fives will be on hybrid or all electric by that time with 2030 looming.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

I'd have no qualms remapping the M139, especially if Lotus hamstring it to sell the V6, which is the only reason I can see why they are doing it. I doubt many would buy the I4 if it was cheaper and making more power. 

I'm not sure how the I4 is cheaper, they must be making more margin on the V6.

• Gold FFM

Have you taken the time to look at the link I posted earlier for the Evora reviews by @Bibs?

I notice that you recommended that @Wake has a test drive of the M139 before he possibly gets an M139 in an Emira.

I was trying to assist you with your perception of the V6 and gearbox options which appears to be a bit skewed?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

1 hour ago, Nipper said:

I'd have no qualms remapping the M139, especially if Lotus hamstring it to sell the V6, which is the only reason I can see why they are doing it. I doubt many would buy the I4 if it was cheaper and making more power. 

I'm not sure how the I4 is cheaper, they must be making more margin on the V6.

Like I said, very few will do this I think but of course some will. Time will tell.

T.

I'll get around to it at some point.

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

Have you taken the time to look at the link I posted earlier for the Evora reviews by @Bibs?

I notice that you recommended that @Wake has a test drive of the M139 before he possibly gets an M139 in an Emira.

I was trying to assist you with your perception of the V6 and gearbox options which appears to be a bit skewed?

I went through them, I couldn't see much technical info. Seemed like a series of posts by a chap enjoying his car. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

People will buy what they desire. It doesn't change the fundamentals. Looking at the specs its difficult to see how that V6 would be more expensive? Is no slight towards the V6, its just that hand built forged engines built to take a lot of power aren't cheap,  no matter the cylinder configuration. 

one would have to assume that the Emira v6 will be the last ever manual lotus; which would not be a bad spin to get through the pile of toyota drive trains

Not sure if this has been posted before. Something that might sway what engine people go for:

However, only the ‘First Edition’ range-topping cars will come with the old V6, with a new four-cylinder turbocharged engine joining the line-up and eventually replacing the V6 once those cars are sold.”

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2021/7/this-is-the-all-new-lotus-emira/

It’s the first I have heard of it. But it might be fairly believable, clear out remaining V6 stock and parts. Then they can produce more performance orientated variants as the AMG unit can take more abuse?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Would be interesting to know what the I4 (M139) engine sounds like?

Have read (I think on here somewhere) that the M139 sounds quite buzzy? I can also recall that Gavan Kershaw (I think) mentioned that the AMG engine would have a Lotus exhaust added to it (as well as other bits). I presume that they may fiddle about with the way it sounds, but ultimately it probably comes down to what rpm the engine runs at a lot of the time which may affect the way it sounds no matter what they do?

Just found a YT video of an A45. Let's hope that whatever Lotus did to make the V6 sound like it does vs the Camry, that they can do the same thing to the M139. My S4 sounds better.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

If you watch the carfection video on the a45s that give a good indication of what the m129 is like… it revs to 7500 which is higher than most modern 4’s. They told me at goodwood that they were working to make the i4 sound like a Lotus (not sure what that really means though)

On 15/07/2021 at 22:00, Wake said:

Not sure if this has been posted before. Something that might sway what engine people go for:

However, only the ‘First Edition’ range-topping cars will come with the old V6, with a new four-cylinder turbocharged engine joining the line-up and eventually replacing the V6 once those cars are sold.”

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2021/7/this-is-the-all-new-lotus-emira/

Has anyone explored that Goodwood FE/V6 statement? It may or may not be precisely Lotus's position.  Key point for me is whether there will be V6 cars subsequent to FEs, after the FE V6 model sales slow significantly - may not happen if not many price-conscious Emira buyers but I'd guess I'm not the only one.  A Base model V6 to one's own spec would certainly interest me.

Could be relevant that on another thread someone said that Toyota was now making the V6  motor only to supply Lotus - so possibly no fixed end.

Edited by mdavies

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM
On 13/07/2021 at 21:50, Speedluvver said:

I spoke to one of the engineers at GFoS - although he didn't confirm M139, he said the engine will be tuned as a 'world car' - I am guessing the 360 means it can be sold everywhere. He did also say they were 'tuning' the torque, so I reckon it will still go like a stabbed rat anyway :)

Welcome to TLF Jon. :welcome:

Looks like I have missed saying hi when you first joined.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

• Like 1

Engine aside I think it really depends on your personal preference on manual over a double clutch box. For me the manual box in my now departed Elise was great but a DC/PDK box is a whole different level. So easy choice 👍

I agree. I still believe a DCT is more fun to drive and much better for daily driving/commuting.

If I was getting one car only though I would get the V6 Manual as I have a suspicion it will be the ONE that people desire over time and will offer the truer Lotus experience.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel