Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Restoration of 837G - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Restoration of 837G

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, at all points of body-chassis attachment one must shim whatever gap may be found before cranking tight the fasteners.

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

So I thought it was about time I gave a progress update on 837G.- see the pictures 

Body is now split .

Chassis is actually very good ( but I will get it blasted and coated ) 

I have stripped off the front suspension and fitted new bushes 

I have rebullt the front brakes ( trying to keep all original parts , but new seals and pistons)

I am working on the rear suspension . 

Split.jpg

brakes rebuild.jpg

chassis 1.jpg

chassis 2.jpg

front suspension bushes.jpg

rear suspension lotus.jpg

Hopefully one of you can help me with a challenge?  How do I remove the bottom stud on the rear suspension ( see picture above red circle ) 

It is threaded at both ends . ( I had/have removed all the nuts and also the lock nut in the picture at both ends, so please ignore the nuts still attached at the top of the image) . How do I remove this to get the arm separated as I want to replace the bush  ?  I assume it is /or should just press through ? I have tried a bush press and also a sledgehammer - but before I get too physical am I correct that it should just drive through 

thanks

Proceed with extreme caution!   Many uprights have been written off attempting to remove that stud (yes it should just push out...).

Cut the stud either side of the lower link to halve the effort required to extract the remaining bits.    I have successfully used a lot of heat and a puller to push each bit out.   Others will have their own methods.   Once its halved you may able to draw each piece out if you are lucky, or maybe try stiltsons first, but don't use a hammer... 

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 2

DON'T hit it with a hammer!!!

The rear hubs are like hens teeth.

Does the arm move? If it does, can you see the stud rotating? If yes, that means its stuck in the bush.

If the arm moves and the stud stays still, that means the stud is stuck fast in the hub.

I'd suggest lots of penetrating fluid followed by heat if it isn't enough to shift it. :) 

It's getting there......

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi All ,

An update on teh restoration of 837G

I will send some pictures shortly , but the chassis/suspension is off getting blasted and powder coated and the body is being painted . I have rebuild the brakes and in the interim I am struggling to source some parts to reinstate the factory aircon that came with this car ( even SJ do not have these ) 

1) Aircon condensor ( this is a factory aircon car , but the condensor and brackets are missing - Any ideas where I could source, or has anyone retrofitted something similar ? If not does anyone even have the dimensions of the unit, brackets and or a diagrams ? I've looked in my manual but other than a small drawing there is nothing of much help . 

2) Compressor mounting . I can get a compressor from SJ but the mounting brackets are again missing 

Any help or guidance would be gladly appreciated. I have read the old threads on Aircon and know it is not simple, is expensive and in my case is requiring a lot of new parts ( new pipes etc ) but if I am going to do it then it is best when the car is completely disassembled . 

thanks 

• Like 1

Though I'm sure the AC system of a UK Esprit S2 will be different to Federal S1s, but @bondbabyremoved the AC system fitted to his US S1 and may have retained some fittings.

• Like 1

I may have a few photos of the bits from when I did the JPS with A/C.

My LHD S1 had it but since removed, hoses are still there and not checked under the front but believe the condenser and separator are gone also.

CD48315B-C963-49FB-B190-F1546988428C.thumb.jpeg.96414de4bd78a835ddd0c449c9f7d239.jpeg

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Alistair,

You may want to check with SJ on the brackets.  Although not listed on their website I was able to source the 2 rear compressor brackets and the belt tensioner.  You can buy a Sanden SD508 from Vintage Air here in the US - not sure how much the shipping would cost.  I also saw the condenser on SJ's website - I found an NOS one a few years ago in Italy.  

Lou R

Is one of the compressor mounting brackets that you're looking for the one that bolts to the front of the block and includes the mounting for the timing belt adjuster, or do you just need the one at the rear?  Is yours a 912 engine or the 907?  I've had some front (912, Excel) brackets laser cut but they still need the mounting spacers making/welding.  I assume the Esprit uses the same bracket?

Pete

PLEASE,..............DONT HIT THAT Aluminium hub carrier with a hammer - If it wont shift please take the time to read the LEW article that's referred or linked to earlier

7 hours ago, Alistair Enser said:

Don’t worry Simon - I got that advice and have listened.

Aluminium cast hub=brittle and irreplaceable :)

thanks though.

Any advice on aircon

They are now being remanufactured.

• Gold FFM

On a separate note - does anyone know the 'paint' finish on the side air scoops . 

Mine is factory black and at some point had a bad paint job . Currently the scoops are body colour and glass, however I notice on other colour S2s that the air scoop is black which suggests it should be satin/Matt to match all the plastic trims and not gloss to match the body ?

Any advice thanks 

NB I meant Gloss not glass 😬

• Gold FFM

As far as I remember, S2s had satin black 'ears / scoops' as well as front spoiler and sills. 

• Like 1

For air con components broadly I have found Cold Hose, of Florida, altogether sound with a very useful website. 

Cold Hose - AC Hoses, Hose Kits and Fittings

I could not resist shifting from the SD 508 to a more compact SD7B-10 compressor, entailing more work but adding lightness! Took a wrong turn initially ordering up a bushel of fittings to suit the lighter, reduced barrier hose which appealed until my local pro's ( x2 ) refused to touch it, declaring it too fragile for longer term reliability. Otherwise pleased with everything purchased.

Cheers

My S2 is also factory black, and had all original color when I bought it. The air scoops are black matt, like all side window frames, lower trim on side windows etc.  The sills on mine where black gloss and the frontspoiler was black matt with structure....

best Lutz

On 19/05/2022 at 00:19, Alistair Enser said:

Don’t worry Simon - I got that advice and have listened.

Aluminium cast hub=brittle and irreplaceable :)

thanks though.

Any advice on aircon

They are now being remanufactured.

Hy-Cote Satin Black is an extremely good rattle can for simple stuff. Otherwise, get the paint shop to do all all black items in 2K Satin Black.

• Gold FFM

Thanks all,

I’ve got the body shop to go 2k stain black for all the trim parts. The chassis comes back from the powered coaters this week and the body shell about 10 more days .

Time to start the rebuild 😬

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 18/05/2022 at 13:56, EXCEL V8 said:

Is one of the compressor mounting brackets that you're looking for the one that bolts to the front of the block and includes the mounting for the timing belt adjuster, or do you just need the one at the rear?  Is yours a 912 engine or the 907?  I've had some front (912, Excel) brackets laser cut but they still need the mounting spacers making/welding.  I assume the Esprit uses the same bracket?

Pete

Hi Pete

Honestly I don’t know the answer to the bracket question, as they were missing so I’ve never seen what they look like . It is a 907 engine. Has anyone got any good images of the compressor mounting - would it be the same as the Excel.