Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Car swap for a day? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Car swap for a day?

Greg | ValetPro

I have an elise 111s  s2  but would very much like to test drive an esprit.

is there an esprit owner who would like to drive an elise and would allow  me to driver there esprit? 

i would sort out day full comprehensive insurance.  

• Like 1

All the Best

Greg

That's a great idea Greg, I hope that someone with a decent example is up for the swap.

I'm a bit too far away and my normally aspirated 1988 Stevens is more style over substance - try and get a drive of a quicker model so you're more tempted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaKa said:

That's a great idea Greg, I hope that someone with a decent example is up for the swap.

I'm a bit too far away and my normally aspirated 1988 Stevens is more style over substance - try and get a drive of a quicker model so you're more tempted.

Thanks DaKa

is yours the 170bph x180?

i guess the driving style is the same in most of the esprit with the se, 300 and v8 Gathering up speed quicker.

All the Best

Greg

Hi Greg,

Daka has a point here. The ESPRIT has a 28 year run and that is long for a car. The difference in driving experience between models is way more then just "gathering up speed quicker". Infact, you can't compare early esprits   with the later ones. 

fe : the S1, S2,S2.2 were light cars , 1000kg max with rear suspension type chapman strut.... so very agile , but noisy inside, because the engine was part of the suspension. Therefore a lot less comfortable and also a bit cramped interior if you are bigger.  Not very powerfull, but being light, very playfull and if in good condition, great fun to drive and play on the B-roads. Not really GT cars.  May be also closest to the driving experience of  an early elise. And the looks are beautifully pure.

The S3 and maybe the  Stevens X180 are not really more powerfull ( especially compared to the S2.2), but they drag 200kg or more extra weight and you can feel it. In return they are quieter inside, they offer a bit more room and lots more comfort and they are just better build cars , Less playfull I am afraid , but they have the better chassis in comparison with the early cars. The S3 is the most reliable Giugiaro esprit

The turbo esprit and the esprit turbo (stevens) have the same heavier chassis as the S3, but they do make that good with more power, The esprit turbo SE with a lot more power. Not as nimble as the early cars, but fun because quick and more comfort.

S4 and SE are plain quick sports GT's  also capable on highways.

S4S and GT3 are the latest and have power steering and ABS, again a very different feel and a more spacious ergonomic cabin. Better heating and ventilation. And they are infact the most reliable if in good maintained condition. You can't compare the driving experience of these esprits with the early ones.

And then the V8 : well a different league / car , not necessarally the better esprit, but very different.

What I mean : You cannot drive "an esprit" and decide if you like it or not. You should look for what is important for you and try to ride that one.

In hindside, a bit the same as comparing a 7ties porsche 911 with a millenium 911.

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Djs44 said:

Try "bookaclassic " - they have links to ones they hire out 

Just been on Bookaclassic and they seem to only be offering the Esprit in chauffeur service form. Only an Elan M100 for a self drive.  But the idea of hire seems good I have found one website http://www.lotus4hire.co.uk/home  .  I feedback should I try it out. 

Gvy - thank you for the detail of all the esprit and some of the differences between them.  

All the Best

Greg

Shame you didn’t pipe up when we were at your place for the ValetPro day, Greg.

My advice would be to try as many as you possibly can before making a decision. And if you’re tall, or have a long body, headroom is better in the later models. I bang my head on the roof in the early cars, so choice was restricted.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Do you know what model/vintage Esprit you're interested in?

I'm unlikely to be down in Sussex with the car in the near future, but if you're ever up in London you'd be very welcome to drive my S3 HC NA.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 22:44, paulbrown22 said:

Do you know what model/vintage Esprit you're interested in?

I'm unlikely to be down in Sussex with the car in the near future, but if you're ever up in London you'd be very welcome to drive my S3 HC NA.

I don't know.  I like the s2 design but it does seem the later esprit would be better for me being 6ft.  I guess an SE or even a GT3  would fit the bill.  But ive not even sat in an esprit so have no idea if i would like it more than an evora.

Oh,  thanks for the offer.  I will get in contact via the private messages tomorrow.

All the Best

Greg

• Gold FFM

I can't speak for an S2, but I'm a touch over 6ft and have no issues at all with my S3. It's clearly never going to be as roomy as a Range Rover, but I did 240 miles in mine last weekend without any complaints (other than the headlight switch melting at midnight on the M3...).

If you like the look of the Giugiaro designs, I'd certainly sit in some and test drive them before you rule them out!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am 6ft and I do fit in my S2.2 ....like in a tailor -made suit... Not much room spare, but a comfortable place to be. S2 is identical to S2.2.

Anyone bigger than 6ft , I would advice to first testdrive before buying. Later Esprits have more room.

Roger Moore was 6 feet 1 1/2 inches. I have no Idea how he fitted in the S1

Edited by gvy