Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Any Shifter Bushing or Linkage Upgrades for the V8 Setup? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Any Shifter Bushing or Linkage Upgrades for the V8 Setup?

So far I have been able to find upgrades for the older Espirts but nothing for the V8 version it seems or I am misreading it.

But the new Espirt I bought, along with the other problems I am addressing, shifts horribly... no grinds or anything it's just the worst feeling shifter I have ever used and I have a feeling this is more the age and components in the shifter linkage than the shifting itself. I keep taking my time and not forcing anything as I know these transmissions do not respond well to that but I would like to get it cleaner and crisper.

Could anyone direct me to what I am missing for a refresh kit, or upgrade I know in other vehicles with cable clutch set ups they usually make kits with bronze bushings and better brackets and such I was kinda hoping something similar exists for the Lotus.

Thank you

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Check all the connections are tight with no play. You can replace the translator bearings and remote ends and it should improve.

The V8 had the best gearbox linkage setup out of all the Esprits.

Only here once

If you get the stock system 100% I think you will be happy.  The shifting in my 94 is amazing, very similar to yours but as Berry said there were upgrades.  I imagine you have a bushing,bearing or end link that is sloppy/worn.

Do you have all of the manuals yet?

19 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

You can replace the translator bearings and remote ends and it should improve.

The V8 had the best gearbox linkage setup out of all the Esprits.

Did the V8 have translators?

chrome_screenshot_1631806643400.png

Edited by jonwat
  • Like 2

Cheers,

John W

Yes, the early cars had translators.  The change came in MY98.

Capture.thumb.JPG.9cee9b32dee60518af6902caecfef597.JPG

This involved are totally different gearshift master, cables and rear cover and shaft arrangement.

• Like 2

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks for those diagrams those are great, since I take it MY98 means Model Year 1998 I think mine will still be the older version sadly.

So I guess I need to look up if anyone has swapped to the MY98 shifter on an older V8 and what it would take to get my hands on those parts vs working on my current shifter setup and fixing issues it most likely has.

And to answer your question Erik, no I have not gotten the guides yet, haven't found them online yet.

The above diagrams are from the manual, there is a similar for your year.  You are at the right place.  If you are a member here you can down load the manuals for free!  I cant remember how to do it...maybe some one will chime in.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

There’s nowt wrong with either gear change mechanisms - one is slightly better than the other that’s all.

if yours is bad - it is badly adjusted or has badly worn/loose parts.

• Like 1

Only here once

Thanks, it is def bad, but then it's been a long time since I had a cable shifter set up to, but I do remember being able to upgrade bushings and such so I will look into the repair kit mentioned because I really feel like this is way to sloppy but for a 97 that does make sense and I don't know the full history of the car yet the prior owner forgot to send me the docs which he is correcting (And the inspection that was supposedly awesome was missing a few... big things)

Having retrofitted the later changer onto the Simon Francis 97 V8, it is not only a case of getting the parts - although that alone is a challenge.    Depending on which chassis coolant pipes you have running through the backbone, it may also be necessary to customise the master unit to make it fit.

As others have already suggested, your best bet would be to overhaul the existing mechanism.

• Like 2

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

So I am not finding the right kit or... I am just confused... probably both.

So at JAE I am not finding it at all.
At PNM I found the translator but this is not the kit or the full kit I thought. Looking at the diagram I thought I needed other bushings that go to the shifter base in the car and I am not seeing those. I am all for getting this too but I think I need the pieces inside the car as well. https://www.pnmparts.co.uk/lotus-gearchange-kit-6468

Now when I look up the earlier Esprit I see the kit for inside the car but I want to be sure I understood correctly and this will be the same for my 97.

https://www.pnmparts.co.uk/esprit/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99-f/lotus-gear-lever-overhaul-kit-4208

Can anyone confirm this for me before I order the wrong thing?

Thanks

• 9 months later...

I have noticed a few things, I bought the bushings SJ told me to get and they helped but I found one of the shifter linkages would come off the bracket in route to the trans and it would cause some shifting play still working on a solution that works but I am guessing they sell a replacement clip. (Part 16 in jonwat's diagram)

Honestly I have been trying to find a completely new shifting set up at this point as I firmly feel the 97 style shifter just sucks.

Edited by Wanderor Cross
Added part location

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, andyblackman777 said:

Are there any replacement bushings or parts at the gearstick end to solve play ???

Yes, my 96 V8 had the same sloppy gearchange problem. Removal of the master unit revealed these damaged nylon bushings (the other half had dropped out into the tunnel).

DSC_0702.thumb.JPG.e52170ab922b60f76395095f49b3879d.JPG

The replacement bushings set is available from SJ sportscars, easy job to remove the master unit, easy job to do, be careful when removing the rubber boot (I tore mine, replacement was TR6), selector movement is now faultless crisp and tight.806849974_DSC_07042.thumb.JPG.3f82d81e83e7bf559a54c1d6ee05458e.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I Have  just done the above.

No play in the gear shift. 😃

interestingly, I also had a PNM rear linkage kit. I thought I’d fit this too but the ball ends for the rod that attaches to the gearbox and translater, are to short?? 

Steve
What is the black plastic part for. The first bit in your photo next to the wave washers.??