Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 airbox sound deadening - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 airbox sound deadening

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would maybe think that technology for sound deadening materials have greatly advanced since the OM material was used.

chances are, whatever it is, it’s not made anymore as better materials are available.

Googling for rubber based sound proofing brought the following the best thing I’ve seen that maybe looks similar is this but it’s described as a repair patch.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=20027444&vat_inc=true&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6NOPBhCPARIsAHAy2zBBKQc3hP5nK6zC5AJDlH2SA4gNMPAMMpTe-9JUAGDDTv-a6clhzbMaAnPdEALw_wcB

Id be interested to know too exactly what Lotus did use

That appears to be patching material, as listed, and very thin so perhaps inadequate mass for much damping. Adding mass is contrary to the Lotus way but suppression of sound is hard to accomplish otherwise.

I think the same material was used on the cabin bulkhead. If so, perhaps you could carefully remove some since it's hidden from view and replace it with something appropriate.

9 hours ago, Fridge said:

I think the same material was used on the cabin bulkhead. If so, perhaps you could carefully remove some since it's hidden from view and replace it with something appropriate.

The cabin sound proofing is massively more bulky, though superficially similar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Both bulkhead material and airbox material are roughly 2,8mm thick but it isn't the same material.

bulkhead has a honeycomb pattern and airbox has a diamont pattern. The bulkhead material has some sort of textile backing with rubber glued on it.

You could use anti drumming materials as used to dampen cardoors.

For my oldtimers ( esprit s2 and opel GT) in the interior floor,doors and on bulkhead, I used vibraflex from Merford.Those are industrial sort of bitumen mats used to dampen all sorts of material. You could use this material on the airbox. Heat it up with an airgun and it becomes very flexible and sticky and adheres to all sorts of materials and can be shaped into all sort of forms. It is about 3mm thick and has a black leatherlooking surface. It can be cut with a knife. It came in 1m x 1m panels.

Edited by gvy

They have a £50 (+vat) minimum order - they were supposed to email me how much that would buy, but haven't heard anything from them since I asked over 3 weeks ago.  I'm disinclined to deal with them further myself.

Pete

I had this response today;

Hello Dave

Thank you for your enquiry.

What area are you looking to cover?

We have a minimum order value of £75.00 plus carriage and VAT.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Looks like inflation has hit hard 😁
I have asked the same question though being how much material is £75 plus vat so await the response.
  • Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

I’ve had this update

1/2 metre should do each airbox set.

Hello David

Thank you for your update.

The Minimum order value of £75.00 would relate to 4M X 1.2M off the full roll of MD596 plus £14.95 carriage plus £17.99 VAT

Total cost      £107.94

I hope the above is of assistance.

Should you require anything further please contact me.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
  • Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try!