Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1994 Esprit S4 Geometry - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1994 Esprit S4 Geometry

• Gold FFM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone would have the details on what are the correct settings for my car? I am asking because even when I have had the car done and have driven it and things feel fine, I don't get the characteristic tyre skipping when reversing as is the habit of the anti-Ackerman setup.

This is leading me to suspect that the figures that the tyre place has may be incorrect or the machine is stuffed, which I can't imagine.

Something that does make me also wonder what is going on is that the front wheels always appear to be toe out. I have also asked other people to tell me what they think and they have agreed.

The car has new tyres on it now and the last thing I want is to chop out a tyre.

So if anyone can help, that would be great.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

No worries. I don't have all the service notes, but I will go through what I have.

Thanks for that.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Take it to a competitive racing place. The service notes do indeed contain the information - but every chassis and car can be slightly different. The fundamentals will dictate the settings.

Only here once

A GOOD alignment shop will apply outward pressure to the fronts of the tires (tyres) to simulate the normal bias of the tsuspension while driving. Can be done with a spring-loaded shower curtain rod, or similar.

That said, tire 'skipping' during parking maneuvers  is normal for anti-Ackerman.  Turn up the radio. 🤪

Traditional Ackerman geometry is what minimizes the skipping effect on more common cars.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

I know the skipping is normal. I am NOT getting it though.

@Barrykearley don't have a racing joint down here in Geelong. Best thing is the tyre place that I already use.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, ramjet said:

@Barrykearley don't have a racing joint down here in Geelong. Best thing is the tyre place that I already use.

Is there no track racing folks about? You might have to dig about to find them as many don’t like to advertise what’s hiding behind closed doors. Join a local Facebook group and post a question. The chap I used is well known locally by those in the know - but has no social media or advertising presence whatsoever.

Only here once

22 hours ago, ramjet said:

No worries. I don't have all the service notes, but I will go through what I have.

Thanks for that.

Here you go 😉

Edit: Steve beat me to it, but the full document might still come in handy.

Esprit S4-S4s-V8 Suspension.pdf

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 29/01/2022 at 09:06, ramjet said:

Something that does make me also wonder what is going on is that the front wheels always appear to be toe out.

Hi Michael,

A little toe in or toe out is not something you can discern with your eyes.

The only way to know, is to measure it.

There are a couple of DIY ways of checking it.

Andy.

Still intrigued on the question of anti-Ackerman. Were Esprit built as such right the way through? Was this part of the Eagle chassis development? I believe the early, pre-Eagle chassis were anti-dive up front.