Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Quandary - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Quandary

ferk1966

Been to view a mclaren 540c today 

could this be the end of my 17 year association with lotus ?? 

wonderful car , unbelievable power , grace , lookbackability , I am truly tempted …..

should I ? 

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great looking cars, what would put me off is the cost of spares/servicing, and where my nearest dealer was.

Spoke to a guy who had one at a show, he had concerns over them quibbling over things that the warranty should have covered and they wanted not to pay for.  

• Like 2

Need to do your research and ultimately make your decision however when you look at u tube there’s many a disappointed owners review of their car but also network of dealers 

however what’s not disputed is they are fine cars with tech and design to rival other similar brands 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

Great looking cars, what would put me off is the cost of spares/servicing, and where my nearest dealer was.

Sounds like what people usually say about buying a Lotus! :)

@ferk1966 - go for the McLaren. Do your checks on the car as you would any large car purchase. Several very happy McLaren owners on here. I hope to potentially join you one day.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Before McLaren road cars even existed, Thorney were quite big on the UK M3 scene. Particularly e46 M3s. They were a particular ‘forum favourite’ with the main UK forum at the time, www.BM3W.co.uk (I think it was).

My recollection is that Thorney himself was very good at ‘talking the talk’ but not necessarily always at ‘walking the walk’. Particularly when it came to his attempts at racing. My personal experience was that I had my car serviced there. I was less than impressed by the experience, to be honest. But the biggest issue seemed to revolve around a race/track car that Thorney had promised to build for one of his customers. When the customer finally wrote about his experience, it seemed to involve a succession of broken promises, one after another. As often is the case, this story was corroborated by other customers who had had similar experiences.

However, this is now all over 15 years ago so my recall is probably pretty hazy. But personally, if I had a McLaren, I wouldn’t take it to Thorney, no matter how tempting the prices might seem.

• Like 2