Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2000 V8 Cam belts both not moving - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2000 V8 Cam belts both not moving

Car was running fine, shut off. Back 6 hours later turn key engine only turns over no firing. Told by local garage,(not Lotus guys) belt is broke. Took home loosened both cam covers and verified belts do not move. Belts are not very tight, but on cam gears. Is this an intermediate cam bolt came loose problem? What is the fix procedure? Engine out? or pull heads in car?

• Gold FFM

Can you hear the fuel pump priming?

I’d be checking the simple stuff before worrying about catastrophic stuff.

when you say the engine turns over - is it the same speed as normal or is it faster or slower to crank?

Only here once

Are you mechanically minded and familiar with engines in general?

If not, then you should probably stop and get the car to a shop familiar with Lotus V8s. 

If so, then as Barry says, there are basis fundamentals to check - fuel priming and pressure is easy.  Battery voltage would be another.  Does the engine crank as before speed-wise.    If the engine was turning over, then your cam belts are most probably fine.   If the timing was out, the engine would not turn over once you had piston/valve contact.

Is the CEL light illuminated and if yes, what are the stored codes.

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Reading the title again.... just to clarify - if your engine is turning over and your cam belts are not moving then you do indeed have a problem and most likely have some bent valves on one or both banks.

If that is case, then you`re most likely going to need to strip the top-end to determine the damage.  That is best done with the engine out.

If you want to talk about it, you can call me on +49 17621699472

• Like 2

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

3 hours ago, dolu-lotus said:

Is this an intermediate cam bolt came loose problem?

Does sound like it 🤔 

Cheers,

John W

1 hour ago, mike_sekinger said:

Why on earth would you make a post like this and then never return to the forum ??

Maybe he gave up on the car or let some garage try and fix it? Either way not very nice for those on here who try to help and others (like myself) trying to learn about the engines and possible problems. But unfortunately very common on forums, a lot of threads never get feedback on if and how the problem was solved.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I am not the best communicator at times and can often be guilty of leaving long gaps between updates, perhaps he will surprise you and pop up in a day or two with an update. I suspect he's made some progress and the info he was after has become less important/urgent. 🤷‍♂️

• Gold FFM

Maybe he started on the engine and the rabbit hole got deeper and deeper and deeper and………….

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

19 hours ago, cweeden said:

perhaps he will surprise you and pop up in a day or two with an update.

To be fair, it has only been 10 days, so we should give him some credit. My previous rant was aimed at (other) forums in general.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.