Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige Sport 410 Tyres - Cup 2 Substitutes - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige Sport 410 Tyres - Cup 2 Substitutes

• 2 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi there all i will be going to the nurburgring in 8 weeks time and im really finding it hard to find cup2 tyres for my exige 410.

I would like advice in other good track tyres i could get fitted because iv only ever used cup2's till now. Is it possible i can get away with slightly different tyre sizes. Compared to my rear of 285 30 18 and fronts 215 45 17.

Thanks oz

Hi there

After doing alot of searching around for cup2 for my 215 45 17 front and 285 30 18 rear iv had no luck like many other ppl.

My question is im thinking of running 295 on the rear and leaving the fronts the same 215. I can find more choice on trackday tyres with the 295.

I would like ppls views if they have run 295 on there 410 or 430 was there any issues or will it run 295 fine.

Many thanks oz

Edited by oz410

Hi Ozan - I remember asking one of the engineers at Lotus about tyre sizes a long time back and he said that +/- 10mm makes as much difference as not to notice it so I'd say that 295 would be no problem at all. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Hi there

Has any1 used the Nankang ns-2r as a 285 35 18 on there rear of there exige instead of are normal tyre size on the 410, 430 tyre 285 30 18.

Im wondering if the 285 35 18 will have no rubbing and clearance issues.

Many thanks oz

• Gold FFM

It is going to change your rolling diameter which may affect some things..

18" = 457.2mm diameter

285mm x 30% = 85.5mm, so adds 171mm to diameter, rolling circumference = 1,972mm

285mm x 35% = 99.75mm, so adds 199.5 to diameter, rolling circumference = 2,062mm

So a 90mm difference. Nearly a 5% increase.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2022 at 22:19, Tex said:

I have a brand new set with stickers on etc.

They are a late 2021 manufacture and I purchased them in Feb this year 

I have switched to Nankang AR1’s on my track wheels so will probably not go back to Cup 2’s

If interested let me know 

I’d like to try the Nankang.. silly question - how are they in the wet for getting home after a track day if it’s raining? Cup2’s have always been fine.

The AR1 overall is a great track and semi road tyre.

I run 295/215 with no rubbing issues, it is however a slightly heavier and noisier tyre than Cup 2’s

I have used them in the wet with little drama but standing water is the main concern particularly at speed but they are not noticeably  worse than Cup 2’s

• Thanks 1

They do! Whereabouts in Surrey are you? There are quite a few of us in regular contact and out for a hoon or two!

• Like 1

On 10/05/2023 at 15:50, Tex said:

The AR1 overall is a great track and semi road tyre.

I run 295/215 with no rubbing issues, it is however a slightly heavier and noisier tyre than Cup 2’s

I have used them in the wet with little drama but standing water is the main concern particularly at speed but they are not noticeably  worse than Cup 2’s

Out of interest, do you swap out your tyres and use the AR-1s on track only,  or also on the road?  Keen to get a sense how they wear over time compared to the cup 2s. Cheers!

Yep, i have 2 sets of wheels, but will drive to circuit in all conditions with AR1’s on. Reasonable in the wet but standing water can be a challenge 

On track I would say AR1’s wear better as they have a stiffer shoulder and even with a track geo set up, Cup 2’s still wear the outside too much for my liking 

Cant really compare for road use except to say AR1’s are noisier and also heavier 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I opted for a set Yokohama's A052 in 215/265 because of the positive experience with the AD08 on my Daily driver. After a trackday and some trips on country roads, the rear ones are now already gone! That was only about 1200 miles, which surprised me very much. 

The grip is great and the steering precision significantly better than with the Cup2. The tire is also super predictable and worked quite well for me on wet roads. It makes a lot of fun, but  becomes too expensive. The Michelin I would also no longer consider, because the sidewalls are really too soft and the steering therefore becomes inaccurate. Next I would like to test the AD09 from Yokohama, which gets very good reviews. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone got their hands on Bridgestone POTENZA RE-71RS?

They are available in the correct size for 410/420/430, should be as quick as Yoko A052, and last longer as well. Plus the price, at least in the US, is very good. Already submitted a question about whether they are available in Europe.

Review here: https://youtu.be/6IUUNMJddJU?si=dQUZhl4MlGzoFaSb

Potenza RE71RS tilted

• Like 1

Have driven my AR1’s on severely wet roads without issue.. Both Motorway and normal roads.

You’d think they’d be a nightmare right? Wrong! No more dodgy than a Cup 2 in my recent experience. I leaned on them a bit, they grip really well. 

Maybe they’ll fall off as the temperatures drop. 

IMG_3695.jpeg

• Like 1