Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New clutch definitely required - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New clutch definitely required

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Proper job and excellent write-up!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I noticed that your parts list does not include the proper length push rod for the slave to fork.  Will you just cut down the old one?  Or is there enough adjustment at the slave.

What do you think was causing the slipping?  Oil from rear main and possibly S4 release bearing geometry?

Good catch on all those wrong parts!  I would never have figured all that out.  I will be very vigilant when I do my clutch based on your excellent write up!  Thanks!

Hi Erik, before I started to take parts off I reduced the slave push rod length to 100mm to see what difference it made as both clutch pedal and the push rod abutment screw were set correctly to the Esprit service notes. As it happened with a 100mm push rod I could no longer select any gear, I believe if I had the correct release bearing fitted which would have given me the extra clutch disengagement I maybe would have been able to select gears and even use the clutch again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after one hot weekend the new clutch is in! 🥵

Re-ground flywheel and new pilot bearing as well as new rear main seal with gasket and sealant.

spacer.png

Working out how to get the axle spiders back into the yokes was an interesting battle as I remembered I had disconnected them with the gearbox released from the engine before but with the engine now bolted up it was much harder. Worked out the best way was to jack the rear of the car up, pull the wheels out as far as I could and chock them up with plywood boards, then lower the car gradually and the wheels slide out further as the plywood slides across the floor which gives enough clearance for the axles to be re-assembled. Jack back up and the spiders fit back into the yokes.

Just to be absolutely sure about the release bearing sitting correctly on the clutch fork I used a cheap eBay endoscope to peer inside the gearbox and satisfied that it was bolted the rest of the parts back in place. Used my 100mm cut down slave pushrod but I cannot select any gears 😦, the clutch does not want to disengage with such as short pushrod (previous workshop had fitted a 128mm pushrod but it was preloading the clutch as it was firmly held between the abutment screw and slave which probably caused the premature clutch wear. I've checked the clutch pedal position which is spot on between 175-180mm, I've got 12.5mm on the abutment screw, no leaks and the clutch pedal after a few pumps feels infinitely better (lighter). Either I need to bleed the hydraulics more or use a longer pushrod?

Here's a video clip of the push rod in action, can someone confirm I have enough travel?

S4s slave push rod

I found an interesting thread back in 2011: https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/42610-anyone-ever-had-their-flywheel-machined/#comment-360469 where lotus4s  had said he had seen cases where for no reason he had to use longer pushrods on 2 cars, maybe the reason mine was fitted with a longer pushrod?

Vid not working for me. 

Seems like I have read about clutch arms fatiguinf and flexing?  or could the incorrect arm be installed?  Hopefully an easy fix after all that work.

Hi Eric, I think it depends on your browser permissions. You can try and download the linked file, that seems to work for viewing on phones.

The clutch fork arm looks straight and original, in fact I removed all the surface rust, inspected it and painted it to help protect it before refitting.

• Like 1

If you’re 100% sure there’s no air left in the system, and you’ve got rid of the red hose, check the clutch master cylinder is the correct bore (0.7” I think), and also the slave, while you’re at it.

The clutch fork will of course push the push rod and piston back into the slave cylinder at rest, but not necessarily all the way to the forward end of the cylinder.

The slave cylinder piston position is determined by push rod length, that’s what the adjustment figure is for. Push rod travel will always be the same as long as the cylinder bores are correct. And, within reason, push rod length is not actually critical, a few millimetres from spec either way won’t make any difference. I hope that makes sense, because I might have had one or two cold beers….🍻 or more.

Presumably the flywheel was within the thickness spec post grinding?

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Nice work Simon.

Plenty of useful reference information for me there when I tackle the drivetrain on mine over the coming winter.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Ooh, found out @Cushingwho had the same pushrod as me..

thumbnail.jpg

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/87708-clutch-pedal-adjustment/

The clutch disengaged fully with this pushrod when the clutch was slipping but soon as I cut it down to spec at 100mm and tried it before and after changing the clutch - no disengagement. 

BTW I can push the slave piston back by just pushing on the pushrod, is that right? 

Edited by Fast28

1 hour ago, Fast28 said:

Ooh, found out @Cushingwho had the same pushrod as me..

thumbnail.jpg

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/87708-clutch-pedal-adjustment/

The clutch disengaged fully with this pushrod when the clutch was slipping but soon as I cut it down to spec at 100mm and tried it before and after changing the clutch - no disengagement. 

BTW I can push the slave piston back by just pushing on the pushrod, is that right? 

Yes, that’s exactly what the release fork does, but make sure there’s enough space for the fluid in the master cylinder first, or there’ll be a spillage!

Margate Exotics.