Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1990 SE OZ Route rim paint code - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1990 SE OZ Route rim paint code

Does anybody know the paint code (color) for the OZ rims used on a 1990 SE?

Searching on the forum revealed that the question has been asked before but I could not find an answer.

I hope that somebody knows the answer.

Esprit Freak

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As you said, an auto-body store can match colors just by analysis.  But sometimes, they will claim that the lack of a large-enough flat surface would prevent a good reading.

Locally, another owner with scratched aftermarket wheels found that an auto parts store (NAPA) had a book of color chips and that matching the colors was possible.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Colormatching should be possible but I like to get them in the original color. I have no clue as how much (if any) the 32 year old silver/grey paint has detoriated from the original color.

Esprit Freak

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

@Rambo I have not asked Hethal, and tbh the zero answer I got when I asked for a technical drawing has put me off a little.

I have asked our M100 cousins if they might know.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• Gold FFM

After chatting to a bloke at SWWR he informed me that there are no real paint codes for alloy wheels.

Being that the wheel is produced by OZ I might drop them an email to see if they can help.

Any discoloration / oxydation should only be on the surface layer of the paint.

If you gently use a bit of fine wet and dry to expose the lower part of the paint layer, the colour revealed should be the original colour.

That is assuming they have not been refurbed in the past....

Lotus don't have the paint codes I'm afraid.

This has always been the case with OZ, Rimstock etc. As Lotus buy the wheels already painted, the manufacturer absolutely won't had over the paint code and it's been a thorn for some time. Commercial sensitivity of some dsescription I assume. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I think you’re spot on @Bibs. I haven’t heard back from OZ after I emailed them, and I don’t think I will either.

Thanks @NG5 I will do that. I just hope that they haven’t been refurbished before. 

Personally, I think the wheels should be a brighter silver. But, sometimes pictures (old advertisements) don’t speak a thousand words.

• Gold FFM

I should add that after asking a question on the M100 side of this forum that @exeterjeep kindly supplied me with two RAL paint codes, 9006 & 9007, that could possibly be close.

I remeber a search for the correct color on my Mercedes SL500 wheels.

To get the correct color ("Sterling SIlver"), the wheels had to be painted with a coat of RAL 9005 black and after that with the correct "sterling silver" color.

Be aware, that might also be a factor with the OZ wheels.

Patrick

• 11 months later...

The wheel project took a bit longer, but is now in progress and almost finished.

After the summer of last year i bought 4 new tires in the correct SE size, Pirelli P700 215/50R15 and Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 245/50/R16.

A couple of weeks ago I had some time to spend on the car, and removed all 4 wheels. The inner lips of the 2 front rims were damaged and needed repairing. The rears were OK. They all could do with a new coating (paint or powdercoat). As I didn't like the damages on the front wheels I did a little of searching and found new front wheels for a very good price. So i bought them. (SJSportscars).

The new front and the old rear wheels are at the wheel repair shop at the moment in order to have them all (new ones also in order to avoid a color difference between the front and rear) powder coated. 

• Like 1

Esprit Freak