Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Nomination's for most awkward jobs on an Esprit - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Nomination's for most awkward jobs on an Esprit

shaunw

12 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Not sure why they needed to remove the engine to do the clutch. It’s a couple of hours to pull the gearbox on an Espirt.

Well that's odd, I've been going to this guy for 20+ years, all kinds of cars, exotic and mundane and he always seemed to be reasonable. Maybe there's something different with the California cars and all the emission requirements.

• Gold FFM

Anything under the dash.

Anything on the front of the engine insitu when you don’t have a lift.

Bleeding the master cylinder. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

11 hours ago, APB said:

Well that's odd, I've been going to this guy for 20+ years, all kinds of cars, exotic and mundane and he always seemed to be reasonable. Maybe there's something different with the California cars and all the emission requirements.

Unlikely the emission equipment could have that big an impact. Maybe a few hoses to clear but still no reason to pull the engine. Even the workshop manual says to leave the engine in place and just pull the transmission...

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 01/11/2022 at 11:09, APB said:

Not me doing the work but I had it towed to my mechanic this morning. Something went wrong with the clutch, it wouldn't disengage and I couldn't get it into gear. It's going to be at least a $10K job as they have to remove the engine.

Just getting it out of the underground parking here was quite an ordeal.

It's a pity I didn't get any replies to this one until after the work was done, ten days days later. I could have questioned the need to remove the engine...

FYI, I called the local Lotus dealership when they opened today and they don't work on cars older than 2005. So I'm going to stick with my trusted mechanic of 20+ years, despite the opinions of the armchair quarterbacks here, LOL! No offence...

• Gold FFM

It’s been a while since I’ve had to remove an esprit gearbox - my careful driving had only resulted in me smashing and removing 3 gearboxes from different Esprits. I’ve definitely been sat in my armchair a fair bit in the 2 years since i took this 🤣9A0F60CD-FFAE-4237-B274-C78C3BAFAE39.jpeg.0972032c3fb7c27ba14c68924b0b26f9.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

No chap - that was for an entirely separate issue of replacing coolant chassis pipes etc.

if you are doing belts etc - then it suddenly makes complete sense to pull the engine. 

• Like 1

Only here once