Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
PNM FRONT BRAKE UPGRADE KIT - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

PNM FRONT BRAKE UPGRADE KIT

Go to solution Solved by sailorbob,

Hi guys,i recently purchased the font disk/caliper upgrade from PNM.I have noticed that on the caliper,one of the pistons is bigger than the other two,does anybody know if it sits at the top or bottom of the disk when installed?

As it doesnt mention it in the instructions,or have any markings on the caliper itself.Have tried emailing PNM but no response yet.

regards

image0(13).jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From a couple of sources:

When we are talking about multi-piston brake calipers, some are directional and some are not.  One trick brake caliper manufactures use to help get better performance is to use staggered caliper piston sizes.  This means if you have a 4 piston caliper, 2 pistons will be slightly smaller in diameter than the other 2.  This is done to help minimize tapered brake pad wear.  Because of the different size pistons, these calipers are directional. Therefore you want to ensure that as the rotor rotates through the brake caliper it is passing the smaller diameter pistons first then the larger pistons last. 

Brembo's calipers are directional, due to the use of sequential piston sizes. The leading pistons are smaller in diameter in order to combat uneven wear of the brake pads. Upon close examination of the caliper, you will find a small arrow cast in place which denotes the direction of disc rotation. Additionally, when mounted on the vehicle, the bleed screw(s) must be at the top of the caliper.

Yours probably don't have an arrow as they can be flipped side to side, hence the two brake bleeders. Hopefully the above gives you some guidance on orientation. Bigger piston trailing. Nice kit. Merry Christmas. :D 

• Like 2

An easy way to remember is by looking at the physics of what's happening. Braking produces gasses and debris. So what comes off the first or leading piston affects the ability of the second, trailing piston, to press with the same force. So by making the second bigger it regains the ability to press through the gasses and debris and match the pressure of the leading smaller piston.

Is your v8 blue?

• Like 2

DanR

hi guys,i fitted the brakes this morning(ignore the AP decal) they fit straightforward ,and PNM have been very helpful.Just got me thinking,how are the pads pushed off the disk after the car comes to a stop?The BREMBOs have clips,but what do the PNM calipers have?

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Are these genuine AP calipers supplied by PNM?

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,just an update on the situation with the brakes.The brake pedal feels spongy so i believe there is air in the system.I have tried the gravity method,vacuum and second person pumping the pedal method.There are no leaks so i think air is still in system.I have bled them in sequence furthest to nearest and think air might be in the ABS system.

Does anybody know if those two marked points are bleeder screws?

cheers

abs.PNG

• 3 months later...

hi,yes brakes sorted,i over complicated things by thinking it was the kelsey system.It was air in the lines,used the gravity feed method and the are working so good now.Very happy.The only downside is all the brake dust that builds up on the alloys.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...