Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Interior colour change debate! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Interior colour change debate!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

To be certain what yours was done in, if you have a small amount of cellulose thinner, rub an area (hidden area) with a cloth that has thinners on. If it goes tacky then it was originally done in cellulose, in which case you really should stick with that type of colour *it's not a dye it's basically paint with an additive to make if flexible)

• Gold FFM

I did clean the interior in the summer just gone with “furniture clinic” - leather ultra clean. It did remove a lot of old “colour product” applied by a previous owner.

the furniture clinic leather protection cream, I applied afterwards left the interior a bit “sticky” and the only way I got rid of it was to go over the interior with rubbing alcohol, wiped off after application.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• Gold FFM

The FC products are water based so, they are a no go. I was thinking of using Gliptone product but not sure of the base?

Try giving Steve Fulcher a call, he may tell you a firm that can supply it (he may not, but it's worth a try). he does use it and has hopefully got some sitting there waiting for my Excel to have a sympathetic re-colouring where the colour has cracked off with age.

• Gold FFM

Ok, thanks @andydclements. I’ll give him a call in the new year. Is your Excel leather colour cellulose based?

I possibly should have mentioned that I plan to change the carpet colour from beige to red, we’ll scarlet.

• Gold FFM

I spoke to Steve, very helpful man, and he said that my 91 year car was produced at a time where lotus were just changing from cellulose based leather dyes to water based.

Steve informed me that he uses a product called Kolorbond and that it can be applied over original cellulose based products with the correct prep.

armed with this information I will be contacting Thechnispray paints ltd and weather permitting, getting a leather sample from my car to send off for colour matching.

P.S I’m not changing the interior colour to black!

Glad it worked out, and was sure Steve would help but I just couldn't be certain as you never know what may be going on in the background. Having seen some of the stuff where they are using the spray to change colour of some donor parts to then suit another car, you will think it's like new.

• 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Interior recolour (back to original) is going well. Just the dashboard to do now. Not looking forward to masking it all up!

95CCD0AE-A2FF-49A2-AD59-202D444895AE.jpeg

867DAD25-EAA5-4676-A123-7A0E004B1C13.jpeg

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Got the dash done. 4 hours of masking up the interior 🙄

8216812D-22CE-4C88-A312-C9E402A07FD9.jpeg

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Cheers Ian. You’re right, with hindsight my original intention of black would have looked ghastly! I’m so, so glad I went with the original leather colour. Not quite magnolia, more of a sand. I still have to give all the leather a good feed of Connolly hide care and fit the awesome carpet set supplied by @Steve V8 but I’m getting there…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Gold FFM

A bit of a thread resurrection.

Since having completed the re-colouring of the interior, it had always been in the back of my mind as to why the steering column shroud and binnacle were trimmed in a dark grey leather and not the same as the rest of the interior.

Having mulled over the idea of changing the colour of these pieces for months as once changed would be a real pain to reverse, I finally took the plunge and did the steering column shroud.

Below are a couple of photos of the result. Personally I think the shroud should have been the same colour as the rest of the interior as it protrudes from the dashboard.

I’m still in two minds about the binnacle though. Would it be too much?

66A6B2EF-665D-4A2C-840F-E582FFDFDBF9.jpeg

E4B95C65-2914-4ACB-A648-CFA9C154B44C.jpeg

I believe the underlying wisdom in the OEM colour is that it minimizes distracting reflection back to the driver off the screen.

Cheers

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

That does make sense @drdoom. Only problem I have is once you feed the leather the product requires buffing off which leaves a sheen and that reflects on the windscreen. I have been using Connolly hide care - recommended to me by Fulcher Coachtrimmers. 

TBH even if I re-coloured the binnacle it would still require the hide care cream and buffing so the sheen would still be there.

The re-colour would be purely cosmetic.

• Like 1