Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mass shooting in USA by 72 year old - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Mass shooting in USA by 72 year old

ramjet

• Gold FFM

Our news just reported another mass shooting in the USA.

10 dead with at least that many injured as well. Gunman shot himself.

I couldn't believe the next comment though,

"This is the fifth mass shooting this month."

It's only the 23rd of January for crying out loud. Based on that, if that is a trend that continues, USA could potentially have another shooting this month (1 every five days) and the 72 shootings for the year. (6 x 12)

That's just nuts.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Sadly that’s the good old USA. It’s been the same for years.

As I understand - it’s in their constitution the right to bear arms - this being for defence against the marauding and invading British!!!! 

One really would think common sense would prevail and they would amend the constitution. So many say they can’t amend - but there’s been a fair few constitutional amendments 🤪

it’s an absolute tragedy and I doubt it will change in my lifetime. 

• Like 2

Only here once

Maybe this puts it into perspective.  Yes, it is shocking what happens, but my god, it's a drop in the ocean re killings re what happens elsewhere. Source - UN.

800px-20201023_UNODC_Intentional_homicides_by_country_-_highest_rates_and_most_populous_countries.png

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

A fair number of US cities appear in the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world.

Right to bear arms , time to wake up America.  During the covid riots and demos shown on British TV many were walking round with rifles over there shoulders WTF. Do they really think It makes them look big and powerful or is it just they have no brain cells 🤔 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Maybe this puts it into perspective.  Yes, it is shocking what happens, but my god, it's a drop in the ocean re killings re what happens elsewhere. Source - UN.

800px-20201023_UNODC_Intentional_homicides_by_country_-_highest_rates_and_most_populous_countries.png

True as far as is relevant but I'd contend our peer group ends at France, so America does not shape up so well in a graph representative of that. Wonder whether suicides are gathered up as intentional homicides, as the numbers for that in America are fairly grim in their own right. Guns for every need!

5 hours ago, NAC63 said:

Right to bear arms , time to wake up America.  During the covid riots and demos shown on British TV many were walking round with rifles over there shoulders WTF. Do they really think It makes them look big and powerful or is it just they have no brain cells 🤔 

Sadly, the latter is true. Paranoia sells big time among our cousins to the south. Some rather sagely, well informed academics contend that the 2nd Amendment was crafted in support of private militias serving both to repel anticipated attacks on sovereignty AND for the suppression of slave uprisings. Not such a noble statute when viewed on that latter point. Way out of line for this point in history but a useful tool for manipulating the hard of thinking in pursuit of political gains. What kills me is just how gullible so many folks are, credit here to ill education and misinformation. Meaningful action in these 2 realms would do a world of good.

Sadly the current President sponsored a law to outlaw assault rifles back when he was previously vice president, but it had a time limit on it so it did not self-renew (no doubt negotiated in by politicians owned by the NRA)   It's all about money   (arms manufacturers)

Simple fact to bear in mind is that it's people who are the root cause in every case. A well adjusted society could dwell in peace and security while armed to the teeth. I get the valid criticisms of the NRA and their ilk, but it's the promotion of paranoid delusions which are at the heart of America's grief. It's so obviously time for Americans to seek clarity on what works, what doesn't and who they really are. So many good folks yet so much mayhem, something very fundamental is being overlooked.

22 hours ago, ramjet said:

It's only the 23rd of January for crying out loud. Based on that, if that is a trend that continues, USA could potentially have another shooting this month (1 every five days) and the 72 shootings for the year. (6 x 12)

24 Jan, another 7 dead in second California, just 2 days after the last - a 67 year old this time. 

What are this lot eating for breakfast / on drugs of what.

• Gold FFM

I take it back. 6 shootings this month is not correct. I was a bit out.

Click here

I just went from "Not another one." to "This has to be a typo."

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Just read that a mass shooting is defined as where '4 or more people are injured'. So if there has been 38 already, that is a minimum of 156 injured/dead people.

Come to America for a holiday, go dancing and never come home possibly.

I reckon my next holiday might be in a tent in my backyard. :coffee: 

The first day that my son and ex girlfriend were in US a few years back, and on a bus, a guy was arrested at gunpoint just a bit in front of them.

New York had about 440 murders last year, London 110, Singapore 10. 

London is in line with the rest of the UK in murder rate, not worst.

Obviously NY is not the most dangerous part of the US. Statistically, the US is quite dangerous about 5x more than the averaging European country.  The UK is not bad but worst than Nordic countries or Germany in europe.

Singapore, Japan, HK are safest places to live or visit . Australia is marginally better than the UK but not much.

On 23/01/2023 at 15:33, ramjet said:

"This is the fifth mass shooting this month."

. Based on that, if that is a trend that continues, USA could potentially have another shooting this month (1 every five days) and the 72 shootings for the year. (6 x 12)

That's just nuts.

Yeah, that is just wrong. Over 600 mass shootings last year in the US and at least 35 already this year. Bad journalism.

A mate who's been an intrepid cyclist traveler his entire adult life spoke of riding through Florida and westward from there. When chatting with locals he horrified them in admitting not to be carrying a gun. He's ventured broadly around the world over the years and has yet to encounter any meaningful grief. In a nation of some 300 million it's worth evaluating the homicide numbers in context, and I repeat those pertaining to suicide are perhaps more concerning. By the way Canada is very well armed, I believe more so per capita than our southern cousins. FWIW  

14 hours ago, drdoom said:

By the way Canada is very well armed, I believe more so per capita than our southern cousins. FWIW  

And murder rate in Canada is double of europe but 40% of the US.

Switzerland also has lots of guns but murder rate is half of the European average. Guns are quite controlled though.

Guns in free for all is an aggravating factor but you also need a context favourable to homicide obviously. If the US had strict gun rules, they would have a lower homicide/mass shooting rates but they would still have a lot more homicide than the UK or the rest of europe.

9 hours ago, PAR said:

And murder rate in Canada is double of europe but 40% of the US.

Switzerland also has lots of guns but murder rate is half of the European average. Guns are quite controlled though.

Guns in free for all is an aggravating factor but you also need a context favourable to homicide obviously. If the US had strict gun rules, they would have a lower homicide/mass shooting rates but they would still have a lot more homicide than the UK or the rest of europe.

Nicely buttresses my points on the state of societies, I'd say. We are wise to look in the right direction for solutions to meaningful concerns.

Further to my suggestions concerning the state of societies, yesterday we watched a recently retired Congressman from Ohio commenting on the state of policing in America. Among his points that there are some in his state working for $14.00 per hour. As I say, time for examining what has lately been overlooked.

• Confused 2

• Gold FFM

$14.00 per hour surely doesn't qualify as a reasonable wage?

It is a preposterously small sum by my reckoning, unskilled labour currently commanding well in excess of $20 here in the Vancouver region and that falls short of a livable wage. Ohio likely is a less costly locale but not so much as to validate such a salary for policing. Frankly, the gross disparities of wealth distribution currently prevalent in Western societies make terrific fodder for Russian propaganda, though no one seems to give this a passing thought. Colin Chapman was an inspiration, Jeff Bezos . . .  not so much.