Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bling's TE A service - 2 noises reported, causes identified but I need alternator help! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bling's TE A service - 2 noises reported, causes identified but I need alternator help!

Sparky
Go to solution Solved by Sparky,

• Gold FFM

Yes, I'm still doing them even after I promised I wouldn't!  Anyhow, simple A service on @Bling Spyros's '85 TE, and 2 engine noises identified.  One is a missing air correction screw on no. 4 - it was definitely there last year!  I guess the rubber was weak and it just backed out with vibration. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8a7f2390a30b384a9be6e2282c28392f.jpeg

I don't have a spare, but have fitted an appropriate grub screw for the moment as the carbs need to come off for a rebuild soon - look at no. 4 mixture screw.  I'll be letting someone else remove that.

The other noise - an unusual rattle at the front of the engine - took some finding as it was so unexpected.  In fact, I've never seen it happen in over 40 years.  The alternator spindle nut is missing.  Only belt tension is holding the pulley in place, and the fan is spinning freely.  A disaster waiting to happen in the cambelt area.  I found a washer on the chassis, but no nut.  So, what size is the thread?  I believe it's a stock alternator.  I haven't managed to get any of my gash fasteners spun on, but access is really tight and I may end up removing the alternator to get the job done properly.

Assuming it is stock, any advice as to correct nut size would be most welcome!

image.thumb.jpeg.1bc6a6b6134c9d5b84f2919f795a5f12.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3bfd21b85a4202e592da11124004da51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.129f816415ae7057cff8af8e520d2984.jpeg

Esprits are like Kinder Eggs - a surprise in every one, but never a good one. See, this is why I need to jack it in.

• Confused 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have no idea what that last "kinder surprise" picture is, or is supposed to be telling me. It's why i am extremely grateful that people like you exist, who do know what they are looking at and what to do about it!

Me, the I'm the automotive engineering equivalent of a cheap Mongolean knock-off of a Chinese knock-off of an OEM part. Utterly useless.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

No, but I did programme the wife's valentine balloon satnav system which may explain why it did not fly over the house today as planned and was last recorded over Lake Huron in the US. I just hope they don't see the pictures I loaded onto the SD Card....

• Haha 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

To keep on topic, glad you're still keeping your hand in as I do still hanker after an Esprit and would be looking to get you to do the pre-purchase inspection!  A nice over night somewhere where I could buy you drinks and dinner and get you a bed for the night. Don't worry, you'll be in your own room lol.....! I would not inflict my legendary snoring on anyone though cannot guarantee you won't hear it through several walls!

The small print.

• Gold FFM
  • Solution

Anyhow, having once more applied the skills that online gynaecological course taught me, I have deduced the thread is M14x1.5 - if I had the room, I'd put a feckin wheel nut on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I can confirm the above thread specification, although I doubt it'll be useful to anyone in the next 40 years.  Tightening the thing insitu was, ahem, character-building.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Two days to replace a nut?

Bloody amateur.

Touché!

• Gold FFM

Honestly, it's a poor state of affairs when one must mark one's own response as the answer.  You all get C minus.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM
2 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Try the Facebook groups in future. Loads of answers, guaranteed.

Loads of answers, granted.  Trouble is, they're often all different.  And wrong.  Fine entertainment though!